Is Nebraska High School FB on the up-swing?

This is a question for those guys who really watch a lot of NE high school football or for the local coaches out there who visit this board. I really don't watch a lot of high school football. Maybe a few games a year.

So it has already been mentioned that there is a lot more talent coming out of Nebraska in 2013 (Lincoln and Omaha specifically). So can we chaulk this up simply to chance? Every so many years we are going to have a class like this one?

Or is there more? So this is just me thinking out loud, don't know how reasonable it is. Some things I have thought.

1) The last bunch of years I have been watching all of the highlights I can find of our Walk-On and potential Walk-On players. It seems to me that even the quality of these players has improved steadily. Or is that just due to more film being available to watch on Hudl, youtube, etc.?

2) NE HS offenses seem to have evolved. Many more seem to be some kind of spread attack. There seems to be a lot more throwing than in past offenses. Even just a few years ago I thought more teams were running an option offense with very little passing. Now there are some really explosive offenses out there. Is this a result of NE HS coaches working with our current coaching staff and the results of that finally coming to fruition?

3) Seems like there is more speed everywhere. Do the HS coaching staffs work with our Strength and Conditioning staff to improve and modernize their weight training programs. I know that Nebraska's whole S&C program revolves around creating explosiveness? Do these techniques trickle down to the high school level as well?

I would like the opinions of the people who are better educated on it. Thanks in advance.

I graduated in '05 from Burke, and we had individual talent there that I was almost sure would get full rides, and most of the kids on the team were Husker fans. Some may have fallen academically, as I wasn't into recruiting as much as I was into partying. Same with most of the HS's around in Omaha. I have always seen Nebraska, in general, as a state with a load of talent. Maybe we don't get looked at nationally because of our location, or because our football isn't big like it is in Ohio, Texas, California and other places like that. Ricky Henry and Alex Henery graduated a year after myself, but there are just two big name kids who I was sure would play for Nebraska. Ricky went JUCO due to academics, but still, we have talent. We are looking at two Creighton Prep kids right now, among others here. Maybe our staff sees the potential here and will start a big instate recruiting again?

I played football for Burke during '01 and suited up varsity in '02. I played with a guy who played guard I believe who was a senior in '02. He was HUUUGE and he had a scholarship offer from Iowa St. I am not sure if he went there, I believe he did. We had some talent on the team, but nothing overly impressive.

NEB did have 2 or 3 solid Burke players walk-on last year...I believe a running back and FB.

the high school program I played at, we ran out of the maryland I 90% of the time. We maybe threw it (or tried) 5 times a game. Our line good size for C-1. We just pounded on people. We had a tremendous athlete at QB and all-stater at G. We did a lot of things that got that qb out in space behind that G. Now over that last couple year, the coach there has really modernized the offense. Spread concepts, lots of shotgun, but still predicated to the run.

I think this advancement is critical for the training of possible future Huskers. Under Osborne, what kind of offense were mostly used in high school? Run/option offenses. Our high school programs need to get on the same page as our College program, and vice versa, our college program has to continue to engrain the connection to the high schools. Benefits will not be immediate, but as said with more 2014 prospects from Nebraska, by then that will be 6 years down the road, we may be starting to see these benefits.

Yeah I went to Grand Island Sr. High. While I was there it was almost exclusively I-formation, option, very little passing. I look at what they did there the last few years spreading it out and it is night and day from what it used to be. Seems to be the trend everywhere. I'm curious if it's a case of coaches adapting their systems with the help of our current Husker coaches or are there just a lot of new younger coaches out there who have come up in these type of offenses?

the high school program I played at, we ran out of the maryland I 90% of the time. We maybe threw it (or tried) 5 times a game. Our line good size for C-1. We just pounded on people. We had a tremendous athlete at QB and all-stater at G. We did a lot of things that got that qb out in space behind that G. Now over that last couple year, the coach there has really modernized the offense. Spread concepts, lots of shotgun, but still predicated to the run.

I think this advancement is critical for the training of possible future Huskers. Under Osborne, what kind of offense were mostly used in high school? Run/option offenses. Our high school programs need to get on the same page as our College program, and vice versa, our college program has to continue to engrain the connection to the high schools. Benefits will not be immediate, but as said with more 2014 prospects from Nebraska, by then that will be 6 years down the road, we may be starting to see these benefits.

C-1 huh? Where'd you go to school at?

nebraska city?

nebraska city?

Adams Central

nebraska city?

Adams Central

I was about to ask you the same question because it sounds suspiciously like Adams Central. My son played there from 2000 to 2002.

• 3 weeks later...

From what Damon Benning says, who is a high school football coach in the Omaha Metro, the talent level in Omaha is dramatically on the upswing and next years recruiting class of Omaha mtero players should be bigger as compared to the previous few years! Just need to listen to his daily radio show on 1620 am the Zone, Sharpe and Benning show. You can stream it live on the net for those who live out of state or even in state and aren't near the Omaha area!

I could be wrong here, but I think it's tough to judge school talent just by scholarship offers. I'm not an expert by any means, but from what I've read on this board and articles there's also a logical Nebraska bias. Nebraska is a unique state in that there aren't really any pro-sports near by and we've had a very successful history in Football. There's almost literally nothing else in the state that people care about. We're not recruiting against other schools in state, and we're not going to act like Wisconsin and talk about the Packers after a win in an important game.

How this plays into scholarship offers etc is that it's going to take a special school and special situation to pull a kid out of Nebraska if we want them. I don't think that there's any secret here. My understanding is that other schools tend to not bother as much. Nebraska then is put into a situation where if there's talent that they want, they can offer a walk on spot instead of a scholarship spot and still get the kid. Furthermore, the recruiting sites aren't going to sell subscriptions based on kids who know where they're going. So why spend much time evaluating the student athletes.

So my opinion is this. Nebraska hs football has always been under rated and will continue to be. Nebraska is the main benefactor of this as they're able to take players they want without being contested. We've found starters within Nebraska as long as I can remember and there's no reason for that to change. While our strength + conditioning + coaching help, there also has to be a bit of natural causes that make a good player.