Killing Time - The "Name The Best...Game"

I don't get why everyone jumps on the Portnoy (dude from Dream Theater) bandwagon? He's good yes, but I can think of 5 guys, not named Neil Peart, that are better than him...

Me too, I was just being lazy. Sorry for any misspelled names.

Troy Luccketta (Tesla)

Jeff Porcaro (Toto)

Simon Philips (replaced JP in Toto)

Steve Smith (Journey)

Bonzo

Kieth Moon

AVH

• Fire 1

How bout western villian. I have two. Bruice Dern in The Cowboys, shooting John Wayne in the back. I think that role actually hurt his career. Henry Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the Old West is just creepy.

Best sports character is Matthew Modine as Louden Swain in Vision Quest the greatest wrestling movie ever made.

I wouldn't even put Clapton in the top 5 for guitar players. To me a great guitar player has his own distinctive stlye that you can instantly tell is his. Clapton is great technically, but not real distictive. IMO he hasn't done anything real great since about 1972. Hendrix, SRV, EVH, Page, Slash even Prince all are or where great technically, but also had there own sound. Clapton, Jeff Beck, Alex Lifeson, all are great, but nothing distictive IMO.

Neal Peart is the greatest drummer because he can do things that most drummers can't. Kieth Moon was great because he was so unique in his sound and playing style. John Bohnam was great because he was so heavy. He really defined Led Zeps sound for me.

How bout western villian. I have two. Bruice Dern in The Cowboys, shooting John Wayne in the back. I think that role actually hurt his career. Henry Fonda in Once Upon a Time in the Old West is just creepy.

Best sports character is Matthew Modine as Louden Swain in Vision Quest the greatest wrestling movie ever made.

I wouldn't even put Clapton in the top 5 for guitar players. To me a great guitar player has his own distinctive stlye that you can instantly tell is his. Clapton is great technically, but not real distictive. IMO he hasn't done anything real great since about 1972. Hendrix, SRV, EVH, Page, Slash even Prince all are or where great technically, but also had there own sound. Clapton, Jeff Beck, Alex Lifeson, all are great, but nothing distictive IMO.

Neal Peart is the greatest drummer because he can do things that most drummers can't. Kieth Moon was great because he was so unique in his sound and playing style. John Bohnam was great because he was so heavy. He really defined Led Zeps sound for me.

Bruce Dern gets my vote just because of what you mentioned. I seen that movie as a kid in a theatre, and to this day, Bruce Dern is a dick. John Wayne was a hero in my youth.

Best Western Villian: That's a good one, although in the OP I already answered that in a roundabout way. This is pure semantics, but I consider (for whatever stupid reason) Munny to represent kind of a niche role that is relatively rare: The anti-hero. So, by that sleight of hand nonsense, I am free to answer.

I'd consider Johnny Ringo pretty strongly. (Tombstone.) He's a dangerous sociopath...his ease and skill for menacing violence is kind of the key element that make the Cowboys as feared as they are. Minus Ringo, they're still a dangerous group but perhaps not quite as formidible and untouchable. For fans of The Wire, think of Marlo without Chris or Avon without Wee-Bey. Still people to be taken very seriously, but the intimidation factor is significantly lessened. He doesn't miss by much.

Coy Lahood from Pale Rider is a pretty solid villain. Good character, but doesn't quite match Ringo imo.

Jack Wilson from Shane (played by Jack Palance) is a great villain. He even has the black garb to go with his dark intentions. I'd definitely put him over LaHood, but he gives Ringo a run for his money. Palance gives the best performance of the movie, I always thought. (Side note - At the end, do you think Shane is dead? I say yes.)

Gene Hackman actually gives us a pretty good villain from a pretty average movie: The Quick and the Dead, John Herod. (True story: I've had three nightmares involving Gene Hackman where I owe him money for a large amount of drugs that I have lost or had stolen or something...really, really weird. Haven't had that one for at least 7 years, but it was bizarre.)

But I knew pretty much right away who I'd go with: Angel Eyes, played by Lee Van Cleef. First of all, it's an all time movie, regardless of genre: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Angel Eyes is literally "The Bad." And there is something about the way he projects a genuine sense of pleasure in the suffering of others that gets him my vote. Ringo jars even his own criminal comrades when he cooly murders that Priest early in Tombstone, but he's indifferent. And not indifferent in the normal sense, but indifferent the way a sociopath is completely unaffected by the feeling's of others. Angel Eyes is sadistic. He enjoys making people suffer.

**How about Best Shoot-Out Scene? I'm fighting to find something other than the Heat heist. But I'm also hearing, "You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all," in the back of my mind. I'll have to think on that one.