The coaching staff does not emphasize recruiting

Any of the staff worry you leaving within next 3-4 years?

Beck & TJ for sure.

That is who I was thinking, too. Worries me that there isn't any place for TJ to move up the ladder. Beck, we just have to pay big OC money.

Papuchis will get a HC job somewhere and TJ will move up. I see it happening within the next 3 years.

Don't get me wrong, I like JP, but I wouldn't mind this scenario. Pay Beck enough to keep him around a long time and that would be a great staff.

This is in line with what I said earlier:

Sean Callahan @Sean_Callahan

Read from a subscriber on http://HuskerOnline.com this morning the average distance for a 2013 Nebraska recruit from Lincoln is 964 miles.

In comparison Michigan (269 miles), Florida (280 miles), Ohio State (518) and Alabama (537). Mich & Florida only traveld 964+ for 1 recruit.

Notre Dame is the only program even close to Nebraska is total distance traveld per recruit at 888 miles.

@BryanDFischer Nebraska has recruits from 13 different states plus one from Canada. Never seen anything like that before.

Bryan Fischer@BryanDFischer

@Sean_Callahan I wouldn't say that's necessarily a good thing for the Huskers either

@BryanDFischer They are the smallest population state in the entire BCS. Just shows you how hard they have to work to win here.

• Fire 1

I agree that NU devotes a ton of resources to recruits--and realizes great returns from the effort. But take these numbers with a healthy bit of skepticism. Budget figures like these are a bit arbitrary. Does anyone really believe that Illinois outspends Ohio State by $250k? The numbers largely depend on how the various ADs choose to categorize their expenditures.

The key is keeping TJ around and happy for as long as possible. I do think JP will get a mid major job in the futur, and having TJ here to take over as DC would be nice.

In an ideal world, Bo has some success here in the next 5 years and maybe moves on to the NFL. In the meantime TJ moves up the chain of command and eventually becomes our head coach. Not a knock on anybody else, I just love TJ!

Wouldn't it be easier to secure a few in-season commits living in, say, Florida or Ohio? Would be easier for coaches to "bump" into players on Friday nights and easier for players to get to campus for visits on Saturdays.

Wouldn't that hold down costs for them too? So that makes the Nebraska number higher just for the sake of travel, not necessarily because they are recruiting "harder", right?

Wouldn't it be easier to secure a few in-season commits living in, say, Florida or Ohio? Would be easier for coaches to "bump" into players on Friday nights and easier for players to get to campus for visits on Saturdays.

Wouldn't that hold down costs for them too? So that makes the Nebraska number higher just for the sake of travel, not necessarily because they are recruiting "harder", right?

I would say it makes it harder, also. Florida could never leave their state and have a Top-10 class. It is harder to scout, harder to get kids here during their own football seasons, harder for our coaches to get down there for recruits games.

I have seen a few stats that say we basically sign +50% of the kids that come to visit. It is just harder for a kid, during his own HS football season, to get up to Lincoln for a visit.

I would say it makes it harder, also. Florida could never leave their state and have a Top-10 class. It is harder to scout, harder to get kids here during their own football seasons, harder for our coaches to get down there for recruits games.

I have seen a few stats that say we basically sign +50% of the kids that come to visit. It is just harder for a kid, during his own HS football season, to get up to Lincoln for a visit.

I'm not commenting on difficulty. Just pointing out that the simple use of money spent is not indicative of "effort" in recruiting.

I'm not commenting on difficulty. Just pointing out that the simple use of money spent is not indicative of "effort" in recruiting.

Oh, then no, probably not. I thought you were talking about the miles traveled per recruit. My bad.

Beck & TJ for sure.

That is who I was thinking, too. Worries me that there isn't any place for TJ to move up the ladder. Beck, we just have to pay big OC money.

Tom O. would some times spread his raise around, to his asst coaches. He never made the kind of money that head coaches, are getting now. Lessons to be learned from a legend.

GBR!!!

The key is keeping TJ around and happy for as long as possible. I do think JP will get a mid major job in the futur, and having TJ here to take over as DC would be nice.

In an ideal world, Bo has some success here in the next 5 years and maybe moves on to the NFL. In the meantime TJ moves up the chain of command and eventually becomes our head coach. Not a knock on anybody else, I just love TJ!

Agreed. TJ is a must keep out of any coach on the staff. You don't find a lot of coaches like him. Plus he turned down interviews to other SEC schools this past year, so that shows he is waiting for something bigger. Not just the paycheck.

Beck & TJ for sure.

Tom O. would some times spread his raise around, to his asst coaches. He never made the kind of money that head coaches, are getting now. Lessons to be learned from a legend.

GBR!!!

No coach was getting paid obscene money back then like they are now. It's a much different animal in this era.

Agreed. TJ is a must keep out of any coach on the staff. You don't find a lot of coaches like him. Plus he turned down interviews to other SEC schools this past year, so that shows he is waiting for something bigger. Not just the paycheck.

I wonder if something has been discussed between Bo and TJ