The coaching staff does not emphasize recruiting

Travel is the number one expense in recruiting/sales. Our target area is not our local area, so you are going to have to spend money to get to those areas and bring the recruit back from those areas. I think that explains the additional money spent as we had a larger class. I also think in the last two years, recruiting has become more important to this staff. It would explain the lower amounts by Michigan and Ohio State. Less travel, more recuitis close by and their names have always drawn top recruits. Bo and this staff have a much tougher job than the others. That is why it is the most important part of his job. I t looks like he realizes it and is making steps to only get better at it.

Networking with the high schools, coaches and guidance counselors is very important. The better the relationship the better the staff will do in those areas, and as time goes by, does away for the need of mass coaches at said high school. Exuding confidence to the faculty by being the loan warrior comes accross well. It also makes the money spent more effiecent.

But recruiting is an individual job. Some do it one way others have thousands of different ideas, sell the customer, all is good. I think they are getting better at it. As to whether it is a year around priority, money spent truly has no indication how and when they are working. If it was broken down monthly you could make that arguement, but not the way this chart is made up.

Most are happy with the class, I really have no idea how good or bad they are. That will only be known a couple years down the road, but it does appear, according to some knowledgeable people on here, that it is a good class. Here is hoping. Depth is needed.

Travel is the number one expense in recruiting/sales. Our target area is not our local area, so you are going to have to spend money to get to those areas and bring the recruit back from those areas. I think that explains the additional money spent as we had a larger class. I also think in the last two years, recruiting has become more important to this staff. It would explain the lower amounts by Michigan and Ohio State. Less travel, more recuitis close by and their names have always drawn top recruits. Bo and this staff have a much tougher job than the others. That is why it is the most important part of his job. I t looks like he realizes it and is making steps to only get better at it.

Networking with the high schools, coaches and guidance counselors is very important. The better the relationship the better the staff will do in those areas, and as time goes by, does away for the need of mass coaches at said high school. Exuding confidence to the faculty by being the loan warrior comes accross well. It also makes the money spent more effiecent.

But recruiting is an individual job. Some do it one way others have thousands of different ideas, sell the customer, all is good. I think they are getting better at it. As to whether it is a year around priority, money spent truly has no indication how and when they are working. If it was broken down monthly you could make that arguement, but not the way this chart is made up.

Most are happy with the class, I really have no idea how good or bad they are. That will only be known a couple years down the road, but it does appear, according to some knowledgeable people on here, that it is a good class. Here is hoping. Depth is needed.

Travel: Our coaches also depend on help from local Huskers with private planes. They can't always get the commercial flight they need at a moments notice. This is a huge asset. I'm not sure if those costs are added to this total, but probably they are. Fuel costs alone from private flights can add up quickly.

Networking the kids: I'm not a tweeter fan and I don't have a facebook account, but these social networking tools are a necessary evil in developing/maintaining relationships with recruits. I heard our coaches talking about it. I can tell some don't like it especially tweeter, but they fully embrace it becuase you have to.

Recruiting: Our coaches do an excellent job of teaming up on individual recruits. Bo is typically brought in at the end to try to seal the deal. I really think they do a good job at this. Very little BS and smoking mirrors unlike other programs.

2013 class: This class addresses a lot of needs at certain positions especilly offense/defense lines. Film looks good on many of them. Coaches have focused on players that fit our system rather than what the recruiting sites tell you. You can see that by some of the under the rader type guys we find. If roughly half of this class contributes by the end of their playing careers, then this class will be a winner.

I think it is obvious this staff realized a couple of years ago that they needed to make some changes in the way they recruit.

In the last year alone we've seen Big Red Weekend, a bigger Junior day, the hiring of an outside consulting firm.......

The notion that they aren't working during the year makes absolutely no sense if you look at the visitors lists from each game.

As to why no one pulled the trigger for a while? I don't know but it seems hard to blame it on effort.

I expect them to get even better as time goes on. 13 states and 2 countries and the avg dictance per recruit shows the effort put out. Some could argue that the spread is too thin and focusing in on specific areas might be better. i think that has logic but much of it depnds on the connections the coaches already have w/ high school coaches in the area.

I thought I read that Ohio State has a serious number of recruits from Ohio alone. That area is talent loaded i think, and that is why they do so well.

10 of OSU's commits were in-state.

I think it is obvious this staff realized a couple of years ago that they needed to make some changes in the way they recruit.

In the last year alone we've seen Big Red Weekend, a bigger Junior day, the hiring of an outside consulting firm.......

The notion that they aren't working during the year makes absolutely no sense if you look at the visitors lists from each game.

As to why no one pulled the trigger for a while? I don't know but it seems hard to blame it on effort.

I expect them to get even better as time goes on. 13 states and 2 countries and the avg dictance per recruit shows the effort put out. Some could argue that the spread is too thin and focusing in on specific areas might be better. i think that has logic but much of it depnds on the connections the coaches already have w/ high school coaches in the area.

I thought I read that Ohio State has a serious number of recruits from Ohio alone. That area is talent loaded i think, and that is why they do so well.

10 of OSU's commits were in-state.

And five of them were :star :star :star :star according to Rivals.

We got a kick ass class here no doubt about it. And yes, those other schools do get a bump in numbers from In-State recruits. Naturally that leads me to the next question.....what the hell can we do in the state of Nebraska to bring a higher class of athletes out of this state? Is it the actual talent of the athletes that is not there? Or.....is it a possibility that the In-State athletes we have in here in Nebraska are just not being scouted as much as other states? It's a crying shame if there are some seriously talented kids being overlooked for whatever reasons.

Curious to find out from someone in the know how much time UNL actually spends scouting in state kids or do we basically rely on high school coaches filling us in on the needed info?

Hometown states of recruits signing with current B1G schools the last five years:

Ohio - 246 recruits - 11.5 million residents - 1 recruit per 47k population

Illinois - 118 recruits - 12.8 million residents - 1 recruit per 108k population

Michigan - 104 recruits - 9.9 million residents - 1 recruit per 95k population

Pennsylvania - 77 recruits - 12.7 million residents - 1 recruit per 165k population

Indiana - 60 recruits - 6.5 million residents - 1 recruit per 108k population

Wisconsin - 48 recruits - 5.7 million residents - 1 recruit per 119k population

Iowa - 32 recruits - 3.1 million residents - 1 recruit per 97k population

Minnesota - 32 recruits - 5.3 million residents - 1 recruit per 165k population

Nebraska - 14 recruits - 1.8 million residents - 1 recruit per 128k population

Imperfect numbers because they only count signings within the B1G but other than a nice lead by Ohio, it's relatively proportional to population.

Here are the numbers for the entire 2013 class:

Ohio - 151 recruits - 11.5 million residents - 1 recruit per 76k population

Illinois - 83 recruits - 12.8 million residents - 1 recruit per 154k population

Michigan - 62 recruits - 9.9 million residents - 1 recruit per 160k population

Pennsylvania - 67 recruits - 12.7 million residents - 1 recruit per 190k population

Indiana - 39 recruits - 6.5 million residents - 1 recruit per 167k population

Wisconsin - 25 recruits - 5.7 million residents - 1 recruit per 228k population

Iowa - 13 recruits - 3.1 million residents - 1 recruit per 238k population

Minnesota - 13 recruits - 5.3 million residents - 1 recruit per 408k population

Nebraska - 8 recruits - 1.8 million residents - 1 recruit per 225k population

Pennsylvania - 67 recruits - 12.7 million residents - 1 recruit per 190k population

Is this who signed with b1G schools or all FBS?

All FBS is a smart guess.

All FBS

All FBS

Those numbers are surprising. I would not have guessed that Illinois produces more players than Pennsylvannia. Or that only 8 lads in Nebraska will play division 1 football.

Wouldn't it be easier to secure a few in-season commits living in, say, Florida or Ohio? Would be easier for coaches to "bump" into players on Friday nights and easier for players to get to campus for visits on Saturdays.

Wouldn't that hold down costs for them too? So that makes the Nebraska number higher just for the sake of travel, not necessarily because they are recruiting "harder", right?

I would say it makes it harder, also. Florida could never leave their state and have a Top-10 class. It is harder to scout, harder to get kids here during their own football seasons, harder for our coaches to get down there for recruits games.

I have seen a few stats that say we basically sign +50% of the kids that come to visit. It is just harder for a kid, during his own HS football season, to get up to Lincoln for a visit.

This year with 8 home games- It got MUCH easier

Miles BTW does recruit when he is on the road after games- guy is amazing

All FBS

Those numbers are surprising. I would not have guessed that Illinois produces more players than Pennsylvannia. Or that only 8 lads in Nebraska will play division 1 football.

Should have given the link for those numbers: MaxPreps National Signing Day

There will be some big time heavy-hitting programs come calling for Coach Joseph. There was a reason that everybody on staff got a bump in pay this year. Coach Beck was approached by a Big 12 and an SEC program.

Coach Joseph will have a ton of options after next fall and we need to be able to counter them all with our checkbook. Or, let him go down south for a few years, make even more recruiting connections, then when Coach JP gets an opportunity to be a head coach, which he will, we can hire a much more experienced and tenured Coach Terry Joseph back to be our DC.

There will be some big time heavy-hitting programs come calling for Coach Joseph. There was a reason that everybody on staff got a bump in pay this year. Coach Beck was approached by a Big 12 and an SEC program.

Coach Joseph will have a ton of options after next fall and we need to be able to counter them all with our checkbook. Or, let him go down south for a few years, make even more recruiting connections, then when Coach JP gets an opportunity to be a head coach, which he will, we can hire a much more experienced and tenured Coach Terry Joseph back to be our DC.

Meh. I prefer we just hold on to almost everyone for the next 15-20 years. Just like the good 'ole days. :D

Mr. Shawn and the substance givers better polish their fancy pens.