The coaching staff does not emphasize recruiting

IOWA CITY — Urban Meyer arrived at Ohio State 14 months ago with a national title pedigree and a penchant for recruiting excellence. As expected, the two-time national championship coach has shook up the Big Ten’s football culture, and the league’s recruiting costs have skyrocketed.

Yes, the B10's increased emphasis on recruiting is due solely to Urban Meyer coming to tOSU.

:sarcasm:

The title of this thread is now an invalid argument with the recent release of recruiting spending and costs. Our increase in spending was bigger than Wisco's total spending. Only the most cynical will deny that our recruiting has picked up visibly in talent, especially with the most recent 3 classes. It took a bit for Bo to get his feet under him and get the lay of the recruiting land (it is his first HC gig after all), but now I think he's found his niche but will keep up the sense of urgency.

I like our strategy of cherry-picking slightly underrated recruits with elite athleticism from all the recruiting hotbeds (CA, FL, TX, and southeast). There is so much talent these days, that the big wigs in those regions can't scoop them all and there's more than enough talent for us to scoop up. I believe that Bo is a great developer of these kinds of guys to get them to play above recruiting services' expectations and I'm fully content with being realistic in spending energy on recruiting more overlooked 3-star guys and 4-star guys than wasting time on 5-stars who are locks from day 1 to sign with SEC schools. I don't think very many teams recruit as broadly across the nation as we do. Notre dame, as much as they make me wanna vomit, is the only one I can think of that is comparable.

The title of this thread is now an invalid argument with the recent release of recruiting spending and costs. Our increase in spending was bigger than Wisco's total spending. Only the most cynical will deny that our recruiting has picked up visibly in talent, especially with the most recent 3 classes. It took a bit for Bo to get his feet under him and get the lay of the recruiting land (it is his first HC gig after all), but now I think he's found his niche but will keep up the sense of urgency.

I like our strategy of cherry-picking slightly underrated recruits with elite athleticism from all the recruiting hotbeds (CA, FL, TX, and southeast). There is so much talent these days, that the big wigs in those regions can't scoop them all and there's more than enough talent for us to scoop up. I believe that Bo is a great developer of these kinds of guys to get them to play above recruiting services' expectations and I'm fully content with being realistic in spending energy on recruiting more overlooked 3-star guys and 4-star guys than wasting time on 5-stars who are locks from day 1 to sign with SEC schools. I don't think very many teams recruit as broadly across the nation as we do. Notre dame, as much as they make me wanna vomit, is the only one I can think of that is comparable.

I bet most schools that aren't in the SEC/California go out of state for skill positions. But now they might be getting all positions. We are a unique case where our top 3 states aren't even in our geographic region. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--infographic--notre-dame-recruiting-s-road-show-230938129.html

Good post, I think you are spot on

RIght or wrong, that seems to be the approach

The approach makes logical sense, realistic

Let's see how it works out