The coaching staff does not emphasize recruiting

Sorry guys, just ran across this info earlier and thought I'd share. There are people in our fan base (including a few on this board) who I have heard say that the staff does not emphasize recruiting year-round, or doesn't do a good job, blah blah blah. Well here is finally something concrete to throw in those peoples' faces. So I thought it was very appropriate and shows how hard Bo and Co have to work to pull in good recruiting classes.

Rich Fisher, Terry Jospeh, John Garrison, and Coach Kaz need to recognized as up-and-coming recruiters.

... and we need to hang on to them for a long time. I really like this group of guys we have now (save the Barney jokes). Coaching staff stability should be a priority.

This was the key to Tom's success - longivity of the staff - which does require some personal ambition sacrifice by the staff. Everyone may think they should be a HC but some are better as position or Coord coaches. With longivity comes consistincy in recuiting.

I'd like to know how OSU spends so little.

Boosters..... = )

Not counting the free tat's, or the free equipment the players can sell.

The other angle, Michigan and Ohio are center of the big 10 hot recruiting zone so you would except the cost to be low . Ohio is close to southern states again easy travel they have a lot of talent very close to home. Illinois is the head shaker the talent they have in state every year and produce zero and they just fail to close their borders, Oh a little like Missouri.

I know the original comment was sarcastic. But, there are actually fans who think that. It is absolutely totally ridiculous to think this staff doesn't work their azz off all year to recruit.

Why is it totally ridiculous, aside from the fact that this is a likable staff with a bunch of likable guys?

Recruiting here in the recent past has a history of lulls. Whoops, we just got back from vacation and where'd all the guys go lulls. The in-season track record is not good. That has not always been the case at Nebraska. We just saw our program get outclassed on the field numerous times this past season, and that's a direct consequence of recruiting holes from the early full classes (such as '09 and '10) under Bo's tenure.

Then recruiting had a marvelous turnaround in the early going of this current class cycle, but fizzled again during the season before picking up somewhat late - as usual.

Our recruiting is not awful. It's fairly solid. We have a lot of energetic coaches who have poured a ton of admirable effort. But it's ridiculous to say the entire recruiting machine isn't running at needed intensity and aggressiveness year-round? It's hardly Frank Solich in-season bad, but I think the jury is out to some degree. This year was overall a great turnaround. The fact that it is a turnaround speaks to some of the staff's recent issues.

* caveat, keep in mind that we have had different Recruiting Coordinators a few seasons in a row. This is I believe Ross Els' first year in the capacity. And for that he gets a lot of credit.

Just as spending money does not necessarily reflect effort, neither does lack of commits in-season necessarily reflect lack thereof.

Agree. I think some of the $ were higher this year because we had 25 to give this year vs last year. That means a bigger pool to sort through and visit. I think the coaches did more group visits with recruits. Local talent pool forces us to fly more. Seemed like we had to do extra visits to keep players verbals solid this year for some reason. Lots of waffling and commits & decommits. Winning & looking good would solve some of these issues.....We beat UCLA and we might of got a few more commits early. We don't suffer through OSU and Wisky blowouts and finish top 10 that helps etc...

We certainly don't recruit as hard in season as we do towards the end of the season. That has a lot to do with Bo wanting the process slowed down. They give it offers and rescind quite a few as well just based on senior tape and what not.

Also, it's going to be very, very tough to keep TJ around. He is on a direct path to a DC position, soon.

Hopefully Pap wants out of "Pelinis shadow" and bolts else where... TJ is probably one of the best overall coaches on this staff, if not the best.

• Fire 1

I think it is obvious this staff realized a couple of years ago that they needed to make some changes in the way they recruit.

In the last year alone we've seen Big Red Weekend, a bigger Junior day, the hiring of an outside consulting firm.......

The notion that they aren't working during the year makes absolutely no sense if you look at the visitors lists from each game.

As to why no one pulled the trigger for a while? I don't know but it seems hard to blame it on effort.

I expect them to get even better as time goes on. 13 states and 2 countries and the avg dictance per recruit shows the effort put out. Some could argue that the spread is too thin and focusing in on specific areas might be better. i think that has logic but much of it depnds on the connections the coaches already have w/ high school coaches in the area.

I thought I read that Ohio State has a serious number of recruits from Ohio alone. That area is talent loaded i think, and that is why they do so well.