Taylor Martinez - Quarterback, software developer

This is a decent springtime fluff piece on Martinez, with the typical "hungry for a championship" stuff that every player on every team says this time of year. But there's a bit of interesting stuff, like Taylor's hobby of putting apps together in his spare time.

Nebraska's Taylor Martinez creates apps, scores TDs -- but wants more

Jeremy Fowler

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Speeding through creases in a defense isn't enough for Taylor Martinez. He needs speedy bandwidth, too. And numbers. And puzzles.

On the low-key nights in Lincoln, and there are many, the Nebraska quarterback might mess with the stock market or create iPhone apps.

His latest concoction is a free app called “Follow the Pattern,” which he describes as a board game on your phone for competing against friends. The game slightly resembles the “Simon” board game with blocks colored red, green, yellow and blue.

He can make profit from anything he wants as long as it's legal and not football related, and there won't be any NCAA problems.

yes and no - this would be an easy way to pay an athlete. there has to be something in the rules preventing him from putting his t-shirt on ebay...and a booster buying it for $10,000 - wouldn't you agree?

He can make profit from anything he wants as long as it's legal and not football related, and there won't be any NCAA problems.

yes and no - this would be an easy way to pay an athlete. there has to be something in the rules preventing him from putting his t-shirt on ebay...and a booster buying it for $10,000 - wouldn't you agree?

That's related to football. I mean, not directly or explicitly, but is clearly related to his fame as a football player. So yes, I agree, but it's a totally different situation.

I am sure there this can get into a gray area very fast. I wonder if the athletic department made him offer it for free since his name is tied to it?

The IT/software guy in me hopes he finds a way to make a ton of money if he was part of a team that wrote it or if did it all himself.