Huskers in NFL Mock Drafts

Stafford lacks speed and open field tackling.

Baker should have stayed at OL his whole career.

Rex will go mid-late rounds and be a 2nd/3rd string RB.

I still would take Martin late rounds to be a stand up pass rusher in a 3-4 defense.

Reed has the ability to produce some if in the right system. A little like 'a shorter' Graham in New Orleans

Cotton, Compton just don't have NFL talent to be drafted.

---This draft just shows how much talent we didn't lose

• Fire 1

I still would take Martin late rounds to be a stand up pass rusher in a 3-4 defense.

Reed has the ability to produce some if in the right system. A little like 'a shorter' Graham in New Orleans

Didn't Compton out-perform Teo at the Pro days? He is figured to be 1st-2nd round. I could see Compton going 7th Round

Stafford lacks speed and open field tackling. Baker should have stayed at OL his whole career. Rex will go mid-late rounds and be a 2nd/3rd string RB. I still would take Martin late rounds to be a stand up pass rusher in a 3-4 defense. Reed has the ability to produce some if in the right system. A little like 'a shorter' Graham in New Orleans Cotton, Compton just don't have NFL talent to be drafted. ---This draft just shows how much talent we didn't lose
Didn't Compton out-perform Teo at the Pro days? He is figured to be 1st-2nd round. I could see Compton going 7th Round

The pro days don't mean a whole lot to me. Teo is clearly a better player than Compton.

Stafford lacks speed and open field tackling. Baker should have stayed at OL his whole career. Rex will go mid-late rounds and be a 2nd/3rd string RB. I still would take Martin late rounds to be a stand up pass rusher in a 3-4 defense. Reed has the ability to produce some if in the right system. A little like 'a shorter' Graham in New Orleans Cotton, Compton just don't have NFL talent to be drafted. ---This draft just shows how much talent we didn't lose

The pro days don't mean a whole lot to me. Teo is clearly a better player than Compton.

I don't think it is as clear as you think it is. Different schemes of Defense produce varied stats. I'm not saying Compton should have been an all-American but he proved to be just as athletic as Teo. Time will tell I guess.

IMO Damion Stafford will go in the 7th. Good fit for a Special Teams contributor to start off.

Aside from the fact that he is on of the worst open field tacklers I've ever seen I'd agree with you.

He was not a terrible open field tackler. He had a bad game and everyone in the world saw it. Not many safeties in the country could tackle Keith Marshall (UGA RB #4)in open field and he made a great play on him. He had more moments in his career when he showed he was a more than capable tackler, than the few times when he missed (Wiscy game). I liked Stafford and he brought an attitude on defense.

He had a lot of bad games. Namely nearly every one he played in with the exception of a few down the stretch this year.

I don't think it is as clear as you think it is. Different schemes of Defense produce varied stats. I'm not saying Compton should have been an all-American but he proved to be just as athletic as Teo. Time will tell I guess.

How good would Compton be perceived to have been if he had ND's dline in front of him?

That's the thing about defensive performance. You're relying as much on the performance of your 10 teammates as you are your own skills.

Edit: I should add that I'm not doubting that Te'o is better. Probably is. But not by nearly as much as people think. Also, I just wont stand for any discrediting of Will Compton. God bless his heart-he played his ass off for us and showed unyielding passion and pride for the program and school.

• Fire 1

Stafford was really over hyped by quite a few folks here. I never bought it and still don't.

I see Rex going in the late 3rd or early 4th. Hopefully to the Broncos one way or the other. Whoever gets him it will be a steal that late. I see Rex playing a solid role in a starting rotation. Burkhead could carry the load all on his own as he has proven, but a lot of teams are using tailback by committee and Burkhead would be a great situational back. His value is also increased with his ability to pass block, and catch passes out of the backfield.

I think Martin may be a very late round pick or a free agent signing. Not because of lack of talent, but because of lack of polishing. Why in God's name it took so long for this staff to get him on the field at that DE spot I will never know. But it killed what could have been a heck of a career. Nebraska's loss could prove to be some NFL team's gain though. With a year or two of learning and training at the position, I could see him as a very solid 4-3 rush end. Very similar to former Broncos DE Elvis Dumervil.

I think a lot of people are missing something with Cotton. I don't think NFL experts are missing it though. Just because Cotton was severely underused in Nebraska, or simply because our passing attack has been amongst the worst in the nation for the last three years doesn't mean Cotton doesn't have the talent to play in the NFL. He does have it. If I were an NFL scout, ( I pride myself in my ability to spot football talent), I would take Cotton in the 4th or 5th round and feel good about it. I will go out on a limb and say that he will find a place on an NFL roster somewhere and we'll see, maybe he plays some solid time for somebody a few years down the road.

Baker Steinkuhler and Compton are really the ones I suggest find an alternate path in this life. Unfortunately I was never really impressed by them on the field here at Nebraska and I don't see them cutting it in the NFL. Though off the field, I'm sure they are fantastic people and I wish them all the best.

As far as the comment about this draft showing how much talent we didn't lose, I completely disagree. Now, we may not have lost a lot of production. We may have lost some guys that for some reason, whether it be injuries or other, they did not get on the field or were not utilized correctly but these are some talented individuals.

Sean Fisher, very talented young man. That leg injury slowed his career down quite a bit, but let's face it the guy has a great career ahead of him in another field.

Joe Carter could have been a much more successful DE in some other defensive systems I believe. He definitely has the physicality and the tools to continue his career.

Brett Maher had a damn fine career and should be a solid kicker for someone in the NFL.

Courtney Osborne. The great mystery? Lot's of talent and potential. This guy just disappeared all of a sudden. I heard some things about nagging back injuries but I always was curious if there was something else to this. Tons of talent lost with this guy leaving though.

P.J. Smith. Loads of potential! Don't give up on this guy. If he pursues a career in the NFL with all his effort, I think he has the tools to make it.

Kyler Reed. How does this guy not get talked about more? Go back to my bit about Cotton. Same story. Tons of talent but underutilized and mismanaged his entire career here. This guy could have been and should have been one hell of a productive player here. Hope to see him in the league very soon.

Sueng Hoon Choi and Whaley probably not NFL players. Cameron Meredith, nope.

• Fire 2

How good would Compton be perceived to have been if he had ND's dline in front of him?

That's the thing about defensive performance. You're relying as much on the performance of your 10 teammates as you are your own skills.

Edit: I should add that I'm not doubting that Te'o is better. Probably is. But not by nearly as much as people think. Also, I just wont stand for any discrediting of Will Compton. God bless his heart-he played his ass off for us and showed unyielding passion and pride for the program and school.

Exactly

I agree 100%, and I have said it all year, that Compton is much better than a lot of people think. He is a run stuffer, but I strongly believe he would fit well next to a superior LB in the NFL. He isn't the "do it all" guy, but he has what it takes to play at the next level.

Stafford was really over hyped by quite a few folks here. I never bought it and still don't.

I see Rex going in the late 3rd or early 4th. Hopefully to the Broncos one way or the other. Whoever gets him it will be a steal that late. I see Rex playing a solid role in a starting rotation. Burkhead could carry the load all on his own as he has proven, but a lot of teams are using tailback by committee and Burkhead would be a great situational back. His value is also increased with his ability to pass block, and catch passes out of the backfield.

I think Martin may be a very late round pick or a free agent signing. Not because of lack of talent, but because of lack of polishing. Why in God's name it took so long for this staff to get him on the field at that DE spot I will never know. But it killed what could have been a heck of a career. Nebraska's loss could prove to be some NFL team's gain though. With a year or two of learning and training at the position, I could see him as a very solid 4-3 rush end. Very similar to former Broncos DE Elvis Dumervil.

I think a lot of people are missing something with Cotton. I don't think NFL experts are missing it though. Just because Cotton was severely underused in Nebraska, or simply because our passing attack has been amongst the worst in the nation for the last three years doesn't mean Cotton doesn't have the talent to play in the NFL. He does have it. If I were an NFL scout, ( I pride myself in my ability to spot football talent), I would take Cotton in the 4th or 5th round and feel good about it. I will go out on a limb and say that he will find a place on an NFL roster somewhere and we'll see, maybe he plays some solid time for somebody a few years down the road.

Baker Steinkuhler and Compton are really the ones I suggest find an alternate path in this life. Unfortunately I was never really impressed by them on the field here at Nebraska and I don't see them cutting it in the NFL. Though off the field, I'm sure they are fantastic people and I wish them all the best.

As far as the comment about this draft showing how much talent we didn't lose, I completely disagree. Now, we may not have lost a lot of production. We may have lost some guys that for some reason, whether it be injuries or other, they did not get on the field or were not utilized correctly but these are some talented individuals.

Sean Fisher, very talented young man. That leg injury slowed his career down quite a bit, but let's face it the guy has a great career ahead of him in another field.

Joe Carter could have been a much more successful DE in some other defensive systems I believe. He definitely has the physicality and the tools to continue his career.

Brett Maher had a damn fine career and should be a solid kicker for someone in the NFL.

Courtney Osborne. The great mystery? Lot's of talent and potential. This guy just disappeared all of a sudden. I heard some things about nagging back injuries but I always was curious if there was something else to this. Tons of talent lost with this guy leaving though.

P.J. Smith. Loads of potential! Don't give up on this guy. If he pursues a career in the NFL with all his effort, I think he has the tools to make it.

Kyler Reed. How does this guy not get talked about more? Go back to my bit about Cotton. Same story. Tons of talent but underutilized and mismanaged his entire career here. This guy could have been and should have been one hell of a productive player here. Hope to see him in the league very soon.

Sueng Hoon Choi and Whaley probably not NFL players. Cameron Meredith, nope.

That about sums it up for me (aside from the P.J. Smith comedy bit). Good post.

In regards to Baker, most of the chatter about him ever since he came here was that if drafted, he would project as an OT at the next level...

He should've just said he wanted to play OT when he came here. Staff still be happy to have him either way. He'd be an early-round draft-pick now. Wouldn't surprise me if he does end-up at OT in the NFL, he'd likely need a season of getting his feet wet on a practice-squad first.

It is really tough to predict who will and who will not make it in the pros. Rex sure seems to have the stuff and I agree with some who see perhaps Reed, Cotton, Maher and Compton as possibles. One cannot tell. I'd think Rex is certain to be on an NFL team next years and one or two of the other 4 as well.

And while none of them will be high draft picks (and some likely not drafted at all) when the dust settles, NU will be represented in the NFL by at least Rex and Maher...maybe one of the others too. And, I'd think, represented well.