JUCO's and foreign players

Never said it was bad. I just remembered the statement and saw the players he was going after. Whatever he needs to win games, I am all for.

I believe I read somewhere that he wanted to avoid recruiting non-english speaking kids just due to communication issues. As for juco's, if he could have signed a HS post he would have but sometimes you just need to get bodies

I think he further explained himself later and said that he didn't want to rely on Juco's if he could help it. (But obviously it can be a need at times) I believe he also said that for international players he wanted to be careful to get guys with good communication skills (english) and that would be one reason for narrowing the scope for international players. This was before Chris came on board. I think Chris's overseas contacts puts a little different spin on things, but still he said they would be looking more at English speaking countries. This is what I remember. Let it be known my memory isn't so good these days. If this player has good language skills, then I don't see it as an issue.

I think he further explained himself later and said that he didn't want to rely on Juco's if he could help it. (But obviously it can be a need at times) I believe he also said that for international players he wanted to be careful to get guys with good communication skills (english) and that would be one reason for narrowing the scope for international players. This was before Chris came on board. I think Chris's overseas contacts puts a little different spin on things, but still he said they would be looking more at English speaking countries. This is what I remember. Let it be known my memory isn't so good these days. If this player has good language skills, then I don't see it as an issue.

I agree with all of this ^^^

Plus, since he has an assistant whose primary recruiting advantage is his knowledge/contacts with foreign players, Smiles would be foolish not to capitalize on it as long as it fits within the framework of his grand plan.

High school? JUCO? Foreign? I don't care *where* Miles gets the talent. I'm just glad to see him bringing it to Lincoln.

Agreed. I just brought this up because of the statement he made at the beginning of his hire. The coaches know way more about what they need to help them win so I couldn't care less where the players come from as long as the produce on the court.

High school? JUCO? Foreign? I don't care *where* Miles gets the talent. I'm just glad to see him bringing it to Lincoln.

Agreed. I just brought this up because of the statement he made at the beginning of his hire. The coaches know way more about what they need to help them win so I couldn't care less where the players come from as long as the produce on the court.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't say that I don't care at all where the talent comes from. I'd be a bit skeptical if he signed all JUCOs. But that's not the case. Miles seems to be signing a good mix of high school/JUCO. I'm just pleased that Miles is a LOT better recruiter than any coach we've had in the past that I can remember.

• Fire 1

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't say that I don't care at all where the talent comes from. I'd be a bit skeptical if he signed all JUCOs. But that's not the case. Miles seems to be signing a good mix of high school/JUCO. I'm just pleased that Miles is a LOT better recruiter than any coach we've had in the past that I can remember.

Do you think there is that much difference in bringing in all JUCO's and bringing in all one-and-done's like Kentucky? I know that is not what we would do either way, just pondering the idea.