Will Rex be a steal?

BIGREDTODAY.com: Buzz missing, but analyst believes Rex Burkhead will be bargain

By Rich Kaipust / World-Herald Bureau

LINCOLN — There might be a noticeable lack of buzz surrounding Rex Burkhead and his NFL draft status, but Gil Brandt said don't confuse that with any lack of interest in the former Nebraska I-back.

Two reasons:

>> Burkhead has the skills to fit just about any offense in the NFL, thus not limiting the pool of potential candidates to pick him.

>> Burkhead brings the kind of toughness, character and work ethic that remove any level of gamble that might go with his selection.

“He'll do everything you want him to do,” said Brandt, the NFL.com analyst and former Dallas Cowboys executive.

Looking forward to see what Rex will do in the NFL. Whatever he does I know he will represent Husker nation well.

If he goes that late, then yes, it will be a steal. Rex is the prototypical NFL back. Powerful and scrappy. Always fights for that extra half yard, which matters greatly in the NFL.

Not to mention his workethic, overall attiude, and add in the fact that he rarely will ever be taken down by the first hit I think he could very a pretty good back.

Unfortunately, I think Rex will be a mid-late to late round draft pick. I don't see him going anywhere within the first 5 rounds. I do think he is better than 90% of the RB's being drafted, but his NFL combine 40, and his MCL injury is going to set him behind most of them. Had Rex never been injured, and played 100% of the our games, he would have been drafted by the 3rd round IMO.

Do I think he will be a steal? Depends on who picks him up. He will do well in the NFL, but he isn't Barry Sanders or Frank Gore good. He will be a good back up RB and eventually earn a starting role after a couple years.

I love Rex, he is a character we all wish to be, I just don't see the draft going well for him. I know I am going to get hammered for this, but I am just being honest and not looking at this in a bias way.

I hope I'm wrong but i say no unless he is in a system where he fits. I think about Danny Woodhead and Toby Gerhart. Woodhead wasn't a steal until he ended up in NE. Gerhart has yet to make an impact in MN.

Hard to make an impact when you have a back like Peterson in front of you.

There seems to be this talk that Rex isn't much of an RB or doesn't measure up to NFL standards for that position but that he could work well as a third down change of pace guy or as a slot receiver. That's bull IMHO. I think Rex is a one cut runner who maximises the yards running through almost any size hole, or, when there is no hole, he'll just push the pile six or seven yards. Can he catch out of the backfield? Is he multiple? Sure, he can do those things, but anybody would be a fool to waste him as a third down guy or slot man when he can run down hill as well as any guy on anybody's board for this entire draft.

I'm predicting a Curtis Martin type of NFL career! IF he ends up with the right organization. Lofty expectations you say? Try and dumb down expectations of Rex's possible career to his face and them come talk to me. I guarantee Rex thinks he can be a hall of famer someday.

Curtis Martin? Let's hope so! Curtis Martin had an impressive career during his decade or so in the NFL. I'd love to see it happen. But I don't see Rex having the durability to last 10 years in the NFL.

I hope I'm wrong but i say no unless he is in a system where he fits. I think about Danny Woodhead and Toby Gerhart. Woodhead wasn't a steal until he ended up in NE. Gerhart has yet to make an impact in MN.

Hard to make an impact when you have a back like Peterson in front of you.

No doubt. But that is their system and he doesn't fit

Woodhead also ran a 4.38 40 when he came out of college. Rex runs a 4.66/4.68. I just don't see it.

Unfortunately, I think Rex will be a mid-late to late round draft pick. I don't see him going anywhere within the first 5 rounds. I do think he is better than 90% of the RB's being drafted, but his NFL combine 40, and his MCL injury is going to set him behind most of them. Had Rex never been injured, and played 100% of the our games, he would have been drafted by the 3rd round IMO.

Do I think he will be a steal? Depends on who picks him up. He will do well in the NFL, but he isn't Barry Sanders or Frank Gore good. He will be a good back up RB and eventually earn a starting role after a couple years.

I love Rex, he is a character we all wish to be, I just don't see the draft going well for him. I know I am going to get hammered for this, but I am just being honest and not looking at this in a bias way.

Why? Mid-to-late round draft pick is probably what most people expect. I don't think stating that out loud, or even on a message board, should be controversial.

Why? Mid-to-late round draft pick is probably what most people expect. I don't think stating that out loud, or even on a message board, should be controversial.

I was talking about being hammered about my previous comments. When it comes to talk about Rex, some people get sensitive. I just expected that to happen I guess, even more with it being off season.