Will Rex be a steal?

Will Rex be a steal? Question is, will he get drafted! I think the knee injury is/was a lot worse than folks know about. That will not be overlooked by the NFL. I wish him the best and hope he gets picked by someone. He is a quality human being but that does not get you very far in the NFL draft. Certainly, I would take a chance on him if I were the owner of a pro team.

I'm not even going to address the race thing, because I understand what you're saying, but I truly do believe at some positions (WR, RB, CB, and to a lesser extent QB) race plays a factor during the evaluation process, whether conciously or not.

As far as Burkhead, I could give two rips about any drills he did at the combine/pro day. His film validates that he has a versatility to him that is possessed by very few at his position. He has incredible balance and understanding of leverage/angles that will make him invaluable to a team as a third down back, where you can get him 1 on 1 with a LB. He will win that matchup every time. Throw in the fact that he's going to have the playbook down very quickly, he will see the field early and often wherever he goes.

Concerning Lacy, he's vastly overrated. He will be the 2nd best of the Bama backs of recent years, which isn't saying much. Montee Ball is the best traditional running back in this draft, followed by Jonathan Franklin.

I'm not even going to address the race thing, because I understand what you're saying, but I truly do believe at some positions (WR, RB, CB, and to a lesser extent QB) race plays a factor during the evaluation process, whether conciously or not.

As far as Burkhead, I could give two rips about any drills he did at the combine/pro day. His film validates that he has a versatility to him that is possessed by very few at his position. He has incredible balance and understanding of leverage/angles that will make him invaluable to a team as a third down back, where you can get him 1 on 1 with a LB. He will win that matchup every time. Throw in the fact that he's going to have the playbook down very quickly, he will see the field early and often wherever he goes.

Concerning Lacy, he's vastly overrated. He will be the 2nd best of the Bama backs of recent years, which isn't saying much. Montee Ball is the best traditional running back in this draft, followed by Jonathan Franklin.

Lets just agree to disagree.. Monte Ball couldn't produce if his OL wasn't doing their jobs. Guess what, Burkhead did. Monte Ball is good, but I would take Eddie Lacey over him any day of the week. Not because he is from Alabama or from the Old Might SEC, but because he is the best in this class.

Where ever Burhead goes, I doubt you will see him often, not at least for the first couple years. With all due respect, I think your being a little bias here with your analyse. I am a huge Burkhead supporter, but he is not going to be that "go to guy" right away.

Burkhead's largest problems are his lack of speed and agility. He's got good vision, hands, football sense and a powerful work ethic. But, he doesn't have the shiftiness or speed like most starting NFL backs that come to mind.

I seriously doubt he'll become a go-to guy. He'll be a change-of-pace guy for a few hard-earned yards, but beyond that, I don't think he has the physical traits to be a starting NFL back.

There was that great pre-draft breakdown of Burkhead's skills...I think he tested quite well in the COD drills, and I don't have the link anymore, but they focused on his running intelligence and his knowledge of how to make guys miss.

Remember last year's second leading rusher was, I think, a rookie who timed in the 4.7s dash and went undrafted.

That doesn't mean every second tier athlete does this, but Rex has as good a chance as anyone I think. He needs the right opportunity. Rex always had an uncanny ability to break running lanes wide open and gallop downfield, and it wasn't some sensational amount of burst. That same sort of vision and 1-on-1 ability can translate well in the NFL.

Especially as the league is more about passing, teams don't rely on RBs to be gamebreakers anymore, I think. Those are rare. Most teams just want a guy they can count on and doesn't make mistakes.

There was that great pre-draft breakdown of Burkhead's skills...I think he tested quite well in the COD drills, and I don't have the link anymore, but they focused on his running intelligence and his knowledge of how to make guys miss.

Remember last year's second leading rusher was, I think, a rookie who timed in the 4.7s dash and went undrafted.

That doesn't mean every second tier athlete does this, but Rex has as good a chance as anyone I think. He needs the right opportunity. Rex always had an uncanny ability to break running lanes wide open and gallop downfield, and it wasn't some sensational amount of burst. That same sort of vision and 1-on-1 ability can translate well in the NFL.

Especially as the league is more about passing, teams don't rely on RBs to be gamebreakers anymore, I think. Those are rare. Most teams just want a guy they can count on and doesn't make mistakes.

Agree. On the tests that more aptly show "football" skills ie cone drill and shuttle, Rex was at the top 5 in all of those drills. Overall, Rex was top 5 in all drills (7 total) except for the 40 and bench press. You do not score that well, against that type of competition and not have the potential to be the featured back.

I have Rex glasses, no doubt, but you cannot discount his on field performance or his combine results. He was a steal and will have success at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2013&workout=VERTICAL_JUMP&position=RB

I think the NFL is less concerned with that flashy back that can break a long run here and there and more concerned with a back that can find a way to grind out that extra yard or 2 on a consistent basis. The one that turns a 2nd and 7 into a 2 and 5 or a 3rd and 4 into a 3rd and 1. That's Rex to a tee. He has the ability and vision to get that extra 2-3 yards.

I think the NFL is less concerned with that flashy back that can break a long run here and there and more concerned with a back that can find a way to grind out that extra yard or 2 on a consistent basis. The one that turns a 2nd and 7 into a 2 and 5 or a 3rd and 4 into a 3rd and 1. That's Rex to a tee. He has the ability and vision to get that extra 2-3 yards.

I thought that...then watched Dennard Robinson - who is obviously not a RB - go to the Jags in the 5th...as a running back.

I thought that...then watched Dennard Robinson - who is obviously not a RB - go to the Jags in the 5th...as a running back.

But will he wind up being an every down, ground and pound, type of back?

Probably not. Most likely a punt and kick returner and a utility like offensive player, Brad Smith/Kordell Stewart style.

I think anyways.

But will he wind up being an every down, ground and pound, type of back?

Probably not. Most likely a punt and kick returner and a utility like offensive player, Brad Smith/Kordell Stewart style.

I think anyways.

yeah who knows - everything i've read about this one (only 2-3 articles) discusses him being slotted at RB. Now, with this suspension of this WR yesterday maybe he'll move there. I'm still just dumbfounded how a guy like Dennard can go before Burkhead if he's truly going to be a RB. Granted he's a little more versitle...but at the NFL level Rex is about as good of a QB, and far more reliable from an injury standpoint. Dennard will last 3 games tops.

I still don't believe Rex to be a "steal". He went exactly where I thought he would. He won't be that starting RB anytime soon, and if he does become that, it will be because of depth issues. Rex isn't that every down back at the next level. Sure he did great things at Nebraska on the field, but the talent level is far more superior at the next level. He isn't going against weak, little rush defenses. It will be interesting how he does in the NFL, and I really hope he proves me wrong. I just don't see it.

yeah who knows - everything i've read about this one (only 2-3 articles) discusses him being slotted at RB. Now, with this suspension of this WR yesterday maybe he'll move there. I'm still just dumbfounded how a guy like Dennard can go before Burkhead if he's truly going to be a RB. Granted he's a little more versitle...but at the NFL level Rex is about as good of a QB, and far more reliable from an injury standpoint. Dennard will last 3 games tops.

I strongly believe, the only way Robinson will see the field, is on Special Teams. No way he will last as a RB in the NFL, and I haven't seen him play enough WR to say he has what it takes to play that in the NFL.