Republicans: either a). Buy More Tinfoil or b). Are Smarter

The tinfoil hat is the #1 personal safety item/fashoin accessory for conspiracy theorist around the world.

Is this hat the unique province of our right leaning friends? The answer is of course, no.

Yet scientific research shows that republicans are far more likely to believe most conspiracy theories than democrates.

Here are some examples:

1/3 of Republicans believe: "that a secretive power elite with a globalist agenda is conspiring to eventually rule the world through an authoritarian world government, or New World Order". Less that 1/6th of Democrates share that belief.

On Global warming: : 58% of Republicans agree that it is a conspiracy, compared to just 23% of Democrats.

Last year, a member of the House Science Committee called evolution and the Big Bang 'lies straight from hell".

In fact in 2007, Gallop found that 68% of Republicans don't believe in evolution while only 40% of Dems share their doubts. More recent studies confirm this divide.

pr070611ii.gif

Source Source

So why the divide? It turns out African Americans also have plenty of doubts about evolution. In fact, they look a bit like their fellow doubters from the Tea Party in a few of the less visual ways.

"Tea partiers and African Americans, as groups, share certain characteristics. Their educational levels are low and their religious fervor is high."

• Fire 1

"Republicans" are no more prone to tinfoil hat theories than "Democrats" (or "Democrates" to use the term above).

It's an individual thing, based more on the person than the party.

While it might seem like sweeping generalities are the norm in these forums, they're often used as a typing convenience rather than an actual statement of belief. I no more believe the more conservative members of HuskerBoard are crackpots than I believe the liberals here are sane geniuses. It varies from person to person.

Such generalities do little to help the discourse.

"Republicans" are no more prone to tinfoil hat theories than "Democrats" (or "Democrates" to use the term above).

It's an individual thing, based more on the person than the party.

While it might seem like sweeping generalities are the norm in these forums, they're often used as a typing convenience rather than an actual statement of belief. I no more believe the more conservative members of HuskerBoard are crackpots than I believe the liberals here are sane geniuses. It varies from person to person.

Such generalities do little to help the discourse.

Agree...Good Post.

K: While I agree that we can in no way label the huskerboard.com members in based on their voter registration, there seems to be a fair amount of science that confirms the delta.

Religion explains part of the evolution gap but New World Order etc aren't as closely tied to religion?

Do you reject the science behind these studies? ;)

K: While I agree that we can in no way label the huskerboard.com members in based on their voter registration, there seems to be a fair amount of science that confirms the delta.

Religion explains part of the evolution gap but New World Order etc aren't as closely tied to religion?

Science will always produce a result. Sometimes science doesn't produce meaningful results.

What do those Republicans who believe in these conspiracy theories share with each other that they don't share with the Democrats? More importantly, what do those Republicans who believe in these conspiracy theories share with each other that they don't share with those Republicans who don't believe in those theories?

Science will always produce a result. Sometimes science doesn't produce meaningful results.

What do those Republicans who believe in these conspiracy theories share with each other that they don't share with the Democrats? More importantly, what do those Republicans who believe in these conspiracy theories share with each other that they don't share with those Republicans who don't believe in those theories?

Those are great qustions Bye.

One article suggests the answer to the last question is "School'n & such" although that too is a generalization.

Can you measure and test for a lack of discerning skills?

I'm a Republican and I belive in evolution. Evolution is the change in genetic material over time. This is a fact. I also believe in God. It doesn't have to be either or. That would be a democrates response.

ID: I am right there with you. Evolution isn't a lie. It is real. We have the science. At the same time, my version of Christianity (and my Republicanism) allows for God and evolution to co-exist. Everyone is welcome at the table.

And I don't believe that the US tried to deport the Saudi national who was the original Boston bombing suspect to cover-up the Obama administration's role in the bombing, like the guy on Hannity a few weeks back and the House Representive on Homeland Security that grilled Janet Nap for her role in the cover-up.

I don't believe that there is some secret New World Order conspiracy. I believe that man made polutions are adversely effecting climate change.

More importantly, what do those Republicans who believe in these conspiracy theories share with each other that they don't share with those Republicans who don't believe in those theories?

Lack of sanity?

It seems to be from more of the uneducated in the 'proud to be dumb' groups that exist in a little echo chamber with others who spout these theories and tend to be a little paranoid.

Also when you go too far right or too far left, you tend to end up in a similarly paranoid place where 'something or someone' is coming to 'take away your freedoms'

I'm always curious as to what freedoms they think they have lost. Its never really clear.

Any poll can ask questions that can aim for specific results. Most people know the answer a registered R or D will give to most questions, and if you ask the right ones, you can make one side look a little crazy. Was it asked about if President Bush ordered 9/11, or the 1% percent are intentionally trying to keep poor people poor, that FDR allowed Pearl harbor to happen so the US would be forced into WWII, or the CIA killed JFK. Each side has its crazies, each side has its uneducated followers. Trying to put 20-30% of Americans who are republicans down as dumb, redneck, racists is just trolling if you ask me.

• Fire 1

Any poll can ask questions that can aim for specific results. Most people know the answer a registered R or D will give to most questions, and if you ask the right ones, you can make one side look a little crazy. Was it asked about if President Bush ordered 9/11, or the 1% percent are intentionally trying to keep poor people poor, that FDR allowed Pearl harbor to happen so the US would be forced into WWII, or the CIA killed JFK. Each side has its crazies, each side has its uneducated followers. Trying to put 20-30% of Americans who are republicans down as dumb, redneck, racists is just trolling if you ask me.

So you believe that Gallop is guilty to trolling. There are dozen of polls you can look at. The results show a consistancy that suggest your polling conspiracy doesn't past the smell test.

Good response. I agree that these questions here were either asked or just posted in this way by the writer to assess that Repubs are tin foilers, while Democrats are less loony, yet if you look at it from the other side, I bet your examples or ones like aliens (whether valid or not) and ghost would teeter slightly to the other side (this is based off my own experiences with both parties.)

If you've really gotten that wrapped up in the Republican vs Democrat debacle, they've got you right where they want you...

Simple, believing in their bullsh*t, and willing to argue for a political group that could care less whether you live or die, but until then keep donating money to what they "stand for"...

• Fire 2