Is Tommie as good as he has been made out to be?

Any coach will take Will to Win over Better Statistics.

In the '94 Orange Bowl, Brook Berringer was handed the ball inside the Miami 10 and immediately threw a very stupid interception. Frazier came off the bench and simply willed the Huskers to win that game.

If Alex Henery had been on the '93 Huskers, he would have made that 40 yard field goal and everyone would remember how blatantly Tommie Frazier outplayed Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward.

Frazier never had great stats but everybody from ESPN to the Heisman Voters* to the Hall of Fame saw through it and gave Tommie his due as an all-time great. Tommie Frazier has never been underappreciated. Just as he's never been over-rated. Of all the pointless sports arguments (see our very own Ron Dayne vs. Mike Rozier thread) this is one that's already been put to bed.

* I know this is a sore spot for some, but given Tommie's supporting cast and non-traditional Heisman stats, there was no shame coming in second.

Brook was throwin the ball away. Just didnt happen to get enough on it because Warren Sapp was bearin down on his ass again AND the Miami defender made an outrageous play. Brook did not make a bad decision. He made the right one. Sometimes the other guy just makes a play.

On Nebraska's second drive of the game, we were clickin right down the field, runnin right at Miami when Osborne called for a play action pass. Sapp disrupted it and put pressure on Frazier forcing Tommie to launch a pass 40 yards downfield in double coverage where it was intercepted at the 3.

Both Int instances are cases where I say it was more the defeders making plays that it was our qb making stupid mistakes.

I shouldn't have looked for this, this is going to take up the rest of my day... Start it at 2:06:45 for the bad snap on the punt, followed by Berringer's pick, followed by the greatest fourth quarter in the history of college football. You won't be able to stop watching!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=988Rsnno2Ik

I was watching it just before the bad snap and bad punt. I had forgotten how much they whined about calls. On the play before the punt, their wide receiver really wanted a pass interference call on a perfect defensive play!

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

The article isn't actually incorrect in any way. Tommie's greatness was never found in statistics and rarely (though it did exist) found in tangible performances, but was found in his spirit and leadership more than anything else.

What spirit and leadership? When I think of the spirit of the guys on those teams, I think of

. When I think of leadership, I think more of Aaron Graham, Wiegart, and, again Peter.

While watching this vid all I could think was that this kind of fire is what the Blackshirts need to find again, T_O_B

That INT by Little was a great athletic play. Berringer was throwing that ball where it would be a TD or incomplete. Little made a hell of a play and got the ball, and all you can do is tip your cap to him and move on.

Collinsworth and I agree, it was a bad decision. Berringer had plenty of time to read the play, and clearly didn't throw the ball where it would be incomplete, as Little had plenty of room in front and behind. It's pretty easy to throw the ball out of the end zone. Athletic play by Little, sure. But since the ball was nowhere near a Husker receiver it should have gone way out of the end zone. I remember it well, because in 1994 we believed Nebraska was snakebit in big games, and the gift TD turned gift interception just killed me.

I just have three things to say: 1.) Tommie's run against the Gators was produced by a Florida defense that was tired and had quit. Tired? Maybe they should have worked harder in the training room and how do you beg 'I'm tired in the National Championship Game?" Quit? Its the National Championship Game. Gators No, Puss Cakes Yes. 2.) Brooke Berringer, a 2nd team Journeyman QB? Don't you dare tarnish this young man's memory. He could have started for any team in the country with the possible exception of Tennessee and was going to be drafted into the NFL. 3.) Matt Thurman, The Thurman-ator. If he hadn't walked on at Nebraska and earned 3rd string spot he could have gotten a scollie and started at a bunch of smaller schools across the country. Mr. S Tex is obliviously who he is. A shill for the Longhorns. After the Big 8 took pity on the remnants of the SW Conference and Texa$$ then preceded to think it was their conference they got pissed off because Nebraska, Colorado and now several others that have said, F this we are going elsewhere. So now he's taking pot shots at Frazier. Screw this Dik. T_O_B__G>B>R

That INT by Little was a great athletic play. Berringer was throwing that ball where it would be a TD or incomplete. Little made a hell of a play and got the ball, and all you can do is tip your cap to him and move on.

Collinsworth and I agree, it was a bad decision. Berringer had plenty of time to read the play, and clearly didn't throw the ball where it would be incomplete, as Little had plenty of room in front and behind. It's pretty easy to throw the ball out of the end zone. Athletic play by Little, sure. But since the ball was nowhere near a Husker receiver it should have gone way out of the end zone. I remember it well, because in 1994 we believed Nebraska was snakebit in big games, and the gift TD turned gift interception just killed me.

:facepalm:

It's never the other guy that happens to make a great play. It's always our guys that suck ass isnt it?

Brooke Berringer was a wonderful young man who died tragically young. He was instrumental in helping Nebraska win the 1994 National Championship (minus that interception) but he could not have started on any team in the country, and it's doubtful the NFL was in his future. We were lucky to have him as our backup QB, but his death shouldn't elevate him to something he wasn't. He was good enough being the man he was.

I just have three things to say: 1.) Tommie's run against the Gators was produced by a Florida defense that was tired and had quit. Tired? Maybe they should have worked harder in the training room and how do you beg 'I'm tired in the National Championship Game?" Quit? Its the National Championship Game. Gators No, Puss Cakes Yes. 2.) Brooke Berringer, a 2nd team Journeyman QB? Don't you dare tarnish this young man's memory. He could have started for any team in the country with the possible exception of Tennessee and was going to be drafted into the NFL. 3.) Matt Thurman, The Thurman-ator. If he hadn't walked on at Nebraska and earned 3rd string spot he could have gotten a scollie and started at a bunch of smaller schools across the country. Mr. S Tex is obliviously who he is. A shill for the Longhorns. After the Big 8 took pity on the remnants of the SW Conference and Texa$$ then preceded to think it was their conference they got pissed off because Nebraska, Colorado and now several others that have said, F this we are going elsewhere. So now he's taking pot shots at Frazier. Screw this Dik. T_O_B__G>B>R

Good grief.

Brooke Berringer was a wonderful young man who died tragically young. He was instrumental in helping Nebraska win the 1994 National Championship (minus that interception) but he could not have started on any team in the country, and it's doubtful the NFL was in his future. We were lucky to have him as our backup QB, but his death shouldn't elevate him to something he wasn't. He was good enough being the man he was.

I'm not trying to turn this into an argument on Brook Berringer the man.

I just dont see how credit cant be givin to a player for making a great play. Brook made the right decision at the time by trying to throw it away. He just executed it a little poorly. But mainly he didnt get enough on the ball because he was on the run. Yes, he missed the read right away, but still the defender made a great play. It's not like he threw it directly to a corner sittin on an out or slant.

It's never the other guy that happens to make a great play. It's always our guys that suck ass isnt it?

No, chief. All you have to do is go back a few posts. "Our Guy" Tommie Frazier made great plays, left Warren Sapp literally sucking wind, led us to that awesome fourth quarter. Berringer threw a bad interception, as most neutral parties were able to observe. Not sure how giving Tommie Frazier credit for being a better quarterback qualifies as knee-jerk Husker bashing.

Great interception.

Bad decision.

Let's move on.

No, chief. All you have to do is go back a few posts. "Our Guy" Tommie Frazier made great plays, left Warren Sapp literally sucking wind, led us to that awesome fourth quarter. Berringer threw a bad interception, as most neutral parties were able to observe. Not sure how giving Tommie Frazier credit for being a better quarterback qualifies as knee-jerk Husker bashing.

Great interception.

Bad decision.

Let's move on.

I suppose it's Suh's fault for forcing Colt McCoy to throw the ball away with a fraction of a second left as opposed to lettin it run out.