Is Tommie as good as he has been made out to be?

OF COURSE WEURFAL AND FRAZIER WERE SYSTEM QB'S. What happens when you try to have someone play out of their system? You get Joe Daily and Tim Tebow(NFL edition).

What if we had Zac Taylor run the spread and/or power option offense?

This article is complete poopywash out of pure envy because he knows Frazier would rip Colt McCoy's head off and take a poop down his neck.

What great player (let alone QB) isn't a product of their school's system. I wonder how this guy would feel if we said that Vince Young was a product of the Texas system and had great players on both sides of the ball. How about one of my favorite RB's of all time, Earl Campbell. You can't tell me he wasn't a product of the system. I think writers anoint anyone who doesn't become a successful NFL QB as a "system" QB in college. The fact is that the NFL game is miles different than College.

The bottom line is that Tommie was one of the best leaders that College Football has ever had. Yes, he was surly and had a huge ego. But most ultra successful athletes are.

This guy can go pound sand!

I hope everyone realizes that you don't have to be on the field to provide leadership. Frazier pushed the guys around him to be better and even when he was laid up in a hospital bed, his teammates were still carrying out what he had instilled in them. There's a reason TO put Frazier back into that 95 orange bowl. He was NOT indespensible. He was irreplaceable.

I thought this thread was going to be about some rumblings of greatness that Tommy Armstrong has been displaying.

Frazier?

Really?

The case is closed. He is one of the best, if not the best, quarterback that the Huskers have ever had. It can be debated whether he is the greatest of the great. We have had some great ones.

If you are going to have such a discussion though, and Frazier is not mentioned, the discussion is Illegitimate

Irreplaceable or not, that doesn't take away his greatness. I don't like Tommie as a person, but he was ONE HELL of a QB. There aren't many QB's that have played, who could RUN over DL, LB and Safeties like they were cheerleaders. Blame it on them being fatigued, but you still don't forget how to wrap up and make a tackle. It's a bunch of blabber. Some of it I agree with, but I think they are taking more credit away from the talent that was behind Frazier. Its not like Berringer was a washout. Even with the limited playing time he had, he was still projected as a 2nd-3rd round draft pick.

But seriously, of course he was even better because of the system we ran, but isn't that the case for every elite QB out there? Don't you recruit players based on your type of system? This article just irritates me.

I know quite a bit of opposing fans, and every time we talk about great players, they are usually the ones to bring up Frazier, and how he is one of their favorite all time athletes. Actually, I just had this discussion with a LSU alumni who said "Frazier is one of my favorite QB's of all time" when we were talking about how football use to be played. Frazier is a respected player from many fan bases for a reason, because he is one of the greatest.

I think people have a tendency to overlook the psychological aspect of the game. We would have been good without Tommie in the mid-90's, but we would have not been as dominating as we were. How many times in TO's career before the mid-90's did we think we had arrived only to find out we just weren't quite there? In the bowl game at the end of the 93' season when we played Florida State, I think most of us knew we had finally arrived. Tommie threw the team on his back. There was no letting down like we'd seen in the past because he was on the rest of the team's butt constantly. His competitive fire was contagious in which the rest of the team was infected. Players like Tommie are the reason some teams get on a streak much like Bama is on now. IMO, our streak in the mid-90's was as much if not more about Frazier than it was about TO's coaching. Frazier was just one of those special players that basically wills a team to win.

TO's greatest accomplishment as a coach came in 95' when he nearly had a mutiny on his hands. A lot of the players wanted Berringer to be named the starter. However, you would have never known considering how smoothely the season went with almost complete domination from start to finish.

Tommie Frazier is a great example of how stats don't always tell the story.

Frazier's stats in 1995 were paltry in comparison to the best seasons of other big-time performers. Hell, Taylor Martinez had DOUBLE the production in 2012 of Frazier's best year. How can anyone say that he was the best player in the country that year, let alone one of the all time greats? It must be some sort of mistake!

But if you actually watched him play, you know. There was no one better, and there is hardly any comparison. That's not just the homer in me talking, anyone who watched football in the 90s knew who the best was, and it wasn't hard to see.

Any coach will take Will to Win over Better Statistics.

In the '94 Orange Bowl, Brook Berringer was handed the ball inside the Miami 10 and immediately threw a very stupid interception. Frazier came off the bench and simply willed the Huskers to win that game.

If Alex Henery had been on the '93 Huskers, he would have made that 40 yard field goal and everyone would remember how blatantly Tommie Frazier outplayed Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward.

Frazier never had great stats but everybody from ESPN to the Heisman Voters* to the Hall of Fame saw through it and gave Tommie his due as an all-time great. Tommie Frazier has never been underappreciated. Just as he's never been over-rated. Of all the pointless sports arguments (see our very own Ron Dayne vs. Mike Rozier thread) this is one that's already been put to bed.

* I know this is a sore spot for some, but given Tommie's supporting cast and non-traditional Heisman stats, there was no shame coming in second.

In the '94 Orange Bowl, Brook Berringer was handed the ball inside the Miami 10 and immediately threw a very stupid interception. Frazier came off the bench and simply willed the Huskers to win that game.

If Alex Henery had been on the '93 Huskers, he would have made that 40 yard field goal and everyone would remember how blatantly Tommie Frazier outplayed Heisman Trophy winner Charlie Ward.

Frazier never had great stats but everybody from ESPN to the Heisman Voters* to the Hall of Fame saw through it and gave Tommie his due as an all-time great. Tommie Frazier has never been underappreciated. Just as he's never been over-rated. Of all the pointless sports arguments (see our very own Ron Dayne vs. Mike Rozier thread) this is one that's already been put to bed.

* I know this is a sore spot for some, but given Tommie's supporting cast and non-traditional Heisman stats, there was no shame coming in second.

You have a lot different recollection of that bowl game than I do. Frazier started the game and threw a stupid INT on our side of the field. Berringer drove us all the way down to Miami's 10 before throwing an INT. Frazier gave them a short field on his while Berringer gave them a long field. We won that game simply because TO never got rattled and the big boys in the trenches wore the superstars like Sapp and Lewis out. It was Frazier's poor play which resulted in him being on the bench and Berringer even being in the game.

You have a lot different recollection of that bowl game than I do. Frazier started the game and threw a stupid INT on our side of the field. Berringer drove us all the way down to Miami's 10 before throwing an INT. Frazier gave them a short field on his while Berringer gave them a long field. We won that game simply because TO never got rattled and the big boys in the trenches wore the superstars like Sapp and Lewis out. It was Frazier's poor play which resulted in him being on the bench and Berringer even being in the game.

I didn't remember, so I looked it up. (No doubt, that play was blocked from my memory--like victims of a violent crime sometimes experience. lol)

Here's what the OWH says:

With NU trailing 17 - 9 and Miami facing fourth - and - 3 at its 43, the ball was snapped over Miami punter Dane Prewitt's head. As the ball rolled back to the UM 10, Prewitt kicked it out of the end zone. Instead of gaining a safety, Miami was penalized for an illegal kick and Nebraska took over the ball at the UM 4.

On the next play, NU quarterback Brook Berringer rolled right and tried to hit tight end Eric Alford deep in the end zone. But Miami safety Earl Little made a diving interception to stop the Husker threat.

LINK

I believe Berringer's interception came right after Nebraska was awarded the ball on the 4 after the Miami punter illegally kicked the ball thru the back of the endzone after chasing down a bad snap. It should have been a safety. Instead we were put into position to score an easy touchdown, but Berringer threw the pick on the first play. That was after Brook had been in the game for a while, including engineering the only touchdown drive of the first 3 quarters.

Edit: NUance beat me to it.