John McCain wants to blow up the cable industry as we currently know it

John McCain is going to release a bill that would dismantle cable as it's currently constructed, Brenden Sasso at The Hill reports.

The legislation would force cable companies and satellite TV providers to give consumers an option to pick and choose which channels they get. This is called la carte programming," and it's long been a dream of consumers who only want a handful of channels.

http://www.businessinsider.com/john-mccain-wants-to-blow-up-the-cable-industry-as-we-currently-know-it-2013-5

I like this idea. But what if Comcast, TimeWarner and Cox come back and say, "OK, each channel is $10. Pick what you want." These guys already have a monopoly in most municipalities, so you have the same choice you had before - cable, satellite (which will do the same or similar pricing) or rabbit ears and local TV only.

If they do that, what channels do you pick? And how much would that increase/decrease your bill?

I like this idea. But what if Comcast, TimeWarner and Cox come back and say, "OK, each channel is $10. Pick what you want." These guys already have a monopoly in most municipalities, so you have the same choice you had before - cable, satellite (which will do the same or similar pricing) or rabbit ears and local TV only.

If they do that, what channels do you pick? And how much would that increase/decrease your bill?

I'd rely on broadcast for ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, etc. and I would pay for sports channels during football season only. I'd stream everything else.

How long before we don't need cable for TV?

Other than sports, most things that are broadcast would work great online / on demand. Many of us use a DVR to capture things like the Daily Show or SNL and watch it whenever we want to instead of on the network's schedule.

Local and national news is already using the internet, apps and social media to communicate well before their broadcast begins.

I'm going to sound like I'm arguing all sides of this.

My first thought on this is GREAT. I don't need to now pay for shopping channels that I have to flip through constantly to get to the ones I actually watch.

However, I also see this causing marital issues. My wife is an accountant and watches every single penny. So.....I will constantly hear how about the one or two channels that I'm the only one in the family that watches. AND, I might only watch them every once in a while. So, she is going to come back and act like it's just not worth $5 (or how ever much it's going to be) for said channels.

After saying all that....my very first reaction to this was wondering...."what the hell business is it of congress's to tell private industry what kind of service they must provide"? This service has nothing to do with public security, equal opportunity...etc.

Why is congress involved in this in the first place?

Outside of basic channels, I only need a few things in my TV package:

• Golf Channel
  • USA (Suits)
  • FX (The League and decent movies)
  • ESPN until there is another viable alternative, and not a second longer