NTSB reccomends lowering blood alchol level that constitutes drunk driving

States should reduce the blood-alcohol level that qualifies as drunken driving to 0.05% to reduce fatal crashes, the National Transportation Safety Board recommended Tuesday.

The risk of a crash at 0.05% is about half as much as at 0.08%, the limit in all states, according to a safety board report released Tuesday.

"This is critical because impaired driving remains one of the biggest killers in the United States," said Deborah Hersman, the NTSB chairman. "To make a bold difference will require bold action. But it can be done."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/14/national-transportation-safety-board-drunken-driving/2158107/

They may as well start up prohibition again. Obviously I don't want drunks on the road, but this is ridiculous. It's going to get to the point where people will be scared to even have a drink with their dinner at a restaurant. A friend of mine got a DUI after 3 beers. He's skinny and tall but still blew a .08. He passed the physical sobriety test. Here we come, El Salvador and Bulgaria.

I am sorry, but maybe they should focus on Texting while driving first.

What is mor elikely to kill you... a guy who has had two beers or a teenage girl texting her friend becky about how nicky is being such a skank and hitting on tommy...

Well that's a problem, cuz...I like Johnny. Now I'm emotionally compromised, and...woopsies.

According to Ulty's chart, I can drink a bottle of wine in 60 minutes and still be under the limit.

Which is kinda scary, since there's no way I'd drive if I drank that much. I can't imagine what I'd feel like if I drank that much.

You probably wouldn't feel much of anything until the next morning.

I've had a hangover twice in my life, once in college when I mixed beer, Jager and wine coolers (she was hot, so nobody give me grief).

Last one was about five months ago when I just drank way too much for really no good reason. Other than it tasted really good. :D

According to Ulty's chart, I can drink a bottle of wine in 60 minutes and still be under the limit.

Which is kinda scary, since there's no way I'd drive if I drank that much. I can't imagine what I'd feel like if I drank that much.

You probably wouldn't feel much of anything until the next morning.

I've had a hangover twice in my life, once in college when I mixed beer, Jager and wine coolers (she was hot, so nobody give me grief).

Last one was about five months ago when I just drank way too much for really no good reason. Other than it tasted really good. :D

damn, knapp. i have had a hangover twice in one night.

why stop at .05? why not just ban driving if you have consumed any alcohol? it seems like that is where we are headed.

It would almost certainly reduce traffic fatalities. In fact . . . if we banned driving entirely we would probably further reduce traffic fatalities.

Personally, I think the .08 limit is about right. I completely support increasing penalties (or even mandatory minimums) for subsequent offense DUIs but I think that the basic BAC level is reasonable.

This thread is interesting.

Much of the discussion is around how much a poster can drink and still be legal.

Very littled of the discussion is about the rational (or lack there of) for the change, ie if having a BAC between .05 - .08 make a driver impaired.

Nobody has tossed out the required standard line for other legislation the infringes on a persons individual liberties: How would the proposed bill prevent [fill in the blank tragedy]?

My opinions:

If there is evidence of a major public safety risk when people drive with a BAC of .05 to .07999, then this might be good rule making.

Ignition Interlock devices, while not 100% perfect, should be used to help reduce repeat DUI occurences.

According to Ulty's link, I can have 5 beers over 2.5 hours and be right at 0.05.

Does anyone know how much a glass of water between each drink will affect you? (Other than making you pee a lot more)

I am not sure it affects you at all, as far as blood/alcohol level goes.

According to Ulty's link, I can have 5 beers over 2.5 hours and be right at 0.05.

Does anyone know how much a glass of water between each drink will affect you? (Other than making you pee a lot more)

Water won't affect your BAC, the only thing that will lower it is time.

I guess I was thinking more of a replacement effect. Instead of drinking 3 beers in 1 hour, you sub out 1 beer with 1 glass of water. I think maybe it would just spread it out a bit. But that sucks, so just call a cab. It's either $15 now or $10,000 later.