NTSB reccomends lowering blood alchol level that constitutes drunk driving

If this thread shows anything it's that we don't really know how much can be consumed before being above the limit.

I sure didn't. I was shocked to see how much a guy my size could drink >>legally<< before being over the limit. There is a 0.00% chance I'll drive if I've had even four beers in an hour, and I've made the wife drive home when I've consumed much less. I feel loopy after a few short glasses of wine, but that BAC calculator linked above says I could drink the whole bottle in under an hour and still be legal, and could drive (although it recommended I didn't).

I kinda figured I drank a lot, but according to that calculator, I don't really drink that much at all.

According to Ulty's link, I can have 5 beers over 2.5 hours and be right at 0.05.

Does anyone know how much a glass of water between each drink will affect you? (Other than making you pee a lot more)

I am not sure it affects you at all, as far as blood/alcohol level goes.

According to Ulty's link, I can have 5 beers over 2.5 hours and be right at 0.05.

Does anyone know how much a glass of water between each drink will affect you? (Other than making you pee a lot more)

Water won't affect your BAC, the only thing that will lower it is time.

I guess I was thinking more of a replacement effect. Instead of drinking 3 beers in 1 hour, you sub out 1 beer with 1 glass of water. I think maybe it would just spread it out a bit. But that sucks, so just call a cab. It's either $15 now or $10,000 later.

Many great Huskers and one former Coach have found out the hard way. DUI is such a avoidable behavior and is particularly harmful because it often affects innocent bystanders

How would people feel about requiring ignition interlocks on all cars (and for the sake of this discussion, assume bill gates and buffett will cover the cost) with the data that is collected shared with your insurance co?

Personally, I believe my rates would drop dramatically.

I'm surprised there is this much resistance to the idea. Have as many beers as you want, just don't drive. It's really not that difficult. Call a cab, or a friend, or stay for an extra cup of coffee or desert at dinner. 2 beers over dinner is my limit if I'm driving, and according to that calculator, 2 beers over one hour for a male at 170 lbs is right at 0.03. Well under the 0.05 mark.

States should reduce the blood-alcohol level that qualifies as drunken driving to 0.05% to reduce fatal crashes, the National Transportation Safety Board recommended Tuesday.

The risk of a crash at 0.05% is about half as much as at 0.08%, the limit in all states, according to a safety board report released Tuesday.

"This is critical because impaired driving remains one of the biggest killers in the United States," said Deborah Hersman, the NTSB chairman. "To make a bold difference will require bold action. But it can be done."

http://www.usatoday....riving/2158107/

I was a little skeptical until I heard these statistics. That's good enough reason for me.

I'm surprised there is this much resistance to the idea. Have as many beers as you want, just don't drive. It's really not that difficult. Call a cab, or a friend, or stay for an extra cup of coffee or desert at dinner. 2 beers over dinner is my limit if I'm driving, and according to that calculator, 2 beers over one hour for a male at 170 lbs is right at 0.03. Well under the 0.05 mark.

if that is you in your avatar, i believe you are in deep denial regarding your drinking habits.

i do not think there is a lot of resistance. like i said, if i drink at all, i avoid driving completely. but i think the problem is that most people never have any idea what their BAC is and no frame of reference. like i have also said, i can have three beers and feel pretty tipsy or drink all night and feel pretty sober.

however, i have always thought .08 was much less than it may be. there is just a general lack of information and knowledge about how we, as individuals, metabolize alcohol.

if that is you in your avatar, i believe you are in deep denial regarding your drinking habits.

i do not think there is a lot of resistance. like i said, if i drink at all, i avoid driving completely. but i think the problem is that most people never have any idea what their BAC is and no frame of reference. like i have also said, i can have three beers and feel pretty tipsy or drink all night and feel pretty sober.

however, i have always thought .08 was much less than it may be. there is just a general lack of information and knowledge about how we, as individuals, metabolize alcohol.

Ha! I've had that bottle of Patron for 4 years.... Probably had 2 shots from it. Not much of a drinker these days. Now in college...... that's a different story.

Yeah, I drink a fair amount. But don't drink and drive very often. Oh, once in a great while I might have one beer. But I can't recall the last time I was behind the wheel when I would've failed a BAC test. Probably several years ago. It's just not worth it.

Why do I get the feeling these issues are tied together? Hey....the government needs more money so lets figure out how we can arrest more people and get more money.

LINK

LINK

Any links that support the idea that DUI arrests are a good or efficient source of revenue? I guess I just assumed public safety was the obvious and clear motivation.

Why do I get the feeling these issues are tied together? Hey....the government needs more money so lets figure out how we can arrest more people and get more money.

LINK

LINK

Any links that support the idea that DUI arrests are a good or efficient source of revenue? I guess I just assumed public safety was the obvious and clear motivation.

No....I said..."I get the feeling". Meaning, it is something that crossed my mind when I heard a report on TV this morning about states increasing fines for traffic violations and pushing law enforcement to write more tickets in an effort to increase revenue.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/09/16/dnt.driving.fines.balance.budget.KUSA?iref=allsearch

It's troubling that so many (not just on this board but in general) operate under the mindset of "how much can I get away with?" versus "how much is safe and good for me and others?".

I'll also admit that I'm not really anything other than ignorant on all of this. I've never been anywhere remotely close to drunk in my life, and have a hard time feeling comfortable consuming much more than one beer per 45 minutes to an hour. And I'm 6'1" and 205lbs.

It's troubling that so many (not just on this board but in general) operate under the mindset of "how much can I get away with?" versus "how much is safe and good for me and others?".

That's kinda what I was trying to say back in post #44.