Bands that should not have been as big as they are or were

Shinedown, Disturbed, Three Days Grace...pretty much most "modern rock" bands whose songs all sound the same. Most modern rock is terrible.

-oh, and Fall Out Boy/Panic At The Disco/My Chemical Romance and other emo-type bands that are popular with 14-yr-old girls. Ew.

Nickleback - that goes without saying.

Radiohead - Radiohead fans are the worst. "The lyricism is incredible" "You're a mouthbreather if you don't understand their music" etc. No, they just suck.

I concur with all of the above...

AC/DC - all of their songs are exactly the same. Ride the high hat, play some power cords, and drown it all out with screechy lyrics. All songs on all albums. Same.

And this is where you lost me. In their simplicity is their greatness. Because they don't need to play 20 notes a second, and their music still has that weight to it, is another thing that makes them great...

Bands that definitely do not deserve to be mentioned in this thread but have been:

Nirvana (I know they are huge, but they deserve to be huge. Underrated songwriting and musical talent; tons of creativity. Very important band for social & cultural reasons)

The only thing good in this band was Grohl. There are so many other "Seattle" bands that are better that aren't named Soundgarden or AIC.

Green Day - Their album that came out ~3 years ago was terrible, but their earlier stuff was fun and catchy and American Idiot is the best concept album of all time IMO

Offspring - incredibly deep discography; their music has evolved a lot and they're very talented. I don't think they're really *that* popular either.

these are the same bands... Both wannabe punk bands...

Up until the mid '90's the closest thing I had to Heavy Metal was the "Heavy Metal" movie soundtrack on vinyl...Or was that the "FM" soundtrack on 8-track?

How many HB Members ave no idea what an 8 trac is? T_O_B

I work with a guy that keeps muttering something about a 4-track when the subject of 8-tracks comes up.

Hard to believe nobody has mentioned KISS yet..

Musically so so, more known for putting on a live show...

Kiss is the second band that should be in the Rock and Roll HOF besides Rush. Now that Rush is in Kiss needs to be in. Kiss changed the way concerts were produced and they way bands and rock and roll were marketed. In their hayday no band put on a better show than Kiss. Musically they are just as good as about 90% of any other hard rock band.

Kiss was the biggest band in the world for about 5 years straight.

I can't stand AC/DC because it all sounds the same. The more I actually learn to play guitar, the more contempt I have for the band. All of their songs are 3 chords, which in and of itself is not an issue, as most songs are 3 chords. The problem is their entire body of work is the same 3 chords.

To me Rush has two very good musicians in Peart and Lee, but I can't stand Lee's voice, and the guitar parts don't do a damned thing for me.

The Chili Peppers have always been a hit and miss band for me. Each album has about 3 songs I really like a lot, and the rest is just meh.

Megadeath is another one that I just don't get the long running appeal of.

So what bands do you like

I have a CD collection that has more than 600 discs. A few, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, TOOL, APC, Offspring, Stone Sour, Deftones, Zeppelin, BOC, Metallica, Disturbed, Machine Head, Mastodon, Mushroomhead, Slipknot, Jimmy Hendrix, Heart, Halestorm, Lacuna Coil, White Zombie, Thrice, I could go on.....

Made me go upstairs to see if some of my collection was missing..

Not sure even after googling who APC is...I Don't have : Offspring, Stone Sour, Deftones but really been wanting some for over a year and could use some suggestions..Same with CLUTCH!!!

Also, I don't have BOC, Machine Head, Mastodon, Mushroomhead, Jimmy Hendrix, but I have over a dozen by some dude called JIMI Hendrix, Halestorm, Lacuna Coil, White Zombie..Maybe, but I started with Rob...Also I don't have Elvis Pressley, Bob Dylan, Madonna, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Beibs...

I have most albums from Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, U2, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Willie Dixon, Slipnot, Steve Miller Band, Police, Kansas, Yes, Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Elvis Costello, Boston, Chicago, Commodores, Earth Wind & Fire, Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Steely Dan, Bob Marley, Van wHalen, Brothers Johnson, Beach Boys, Def Leppard, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bruce Springsteen, Allman Bros, Marvin Gaye, Oasis, Billy Joel, Elton John, Todd Rundgren, Cheap Trick, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ramones, Patsy Cline, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, I want more TOOL!!!, Who, Guess Who, I'm probably forgetting several of my favs...Ray Charles, Benny Goodman, Toto, Supertramp, Mad Season, Howlin Wolf, Proffessor Longhair,Talking Heads, Buckwheat Zydeco, Muddy Waters, Johnny Cash, Soundgarden, B52s, Blues Brothers, Eric Clapton, Megadeth, INXS, Hall & Oates, Sly and the Family Stone...

I've also got some embarrassing stuff that I probably wouldn't listen to unless I'm alone or trying to expand my Son's influences. Styx, Journey, Dr Buzzards Original Savanah Band, the Outfield, AC/DC, REO Speedwagon, a Bob Seeger album I still haven't opened, Leo Sayer, Al Stewart, Michael Johnson, Tom Petty, Scorpions, Queen, Foreigner; Green Day, David Bowie, Tone Loc..(The only good Rap album I ever heard), Willie Nelson, Devo, Flock of Seagulls, Marshall Crenshaw, Bee Gees, Donna Summer, Carpenters, Marshall Tucker Band, Tom Waits, Charlie "Yardbird" Parker, Simon & Garfunkel, Grateful dead, Jimmy Buffet, Mel Torme, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Laurie Anderson..

APC is A Perfect Circle. If you are going to grab Deftones discs, White Pony is the first one to get, the newest two (Diamond eyes, Koi No Yokan) probably next, the Around the Fur.

For Tool, try tracking down a copy of the Salival CD/DVD box they put out several years back. If you don't have it already, It has a cover of No Quarter on it.

• Fire 1

Shinedown, Disturbed, Three Days Grace...pretty much most "modern rock" bands whose songs all sound the same. Most modern rock is terrible.

-oh, and Fall Out Boy/Panic At The Disco/My Chemical Romance and other emo-type bands that are popular with 14-yr-old girls. Ew.

Nickleback - that goes without saying.

Radiohead - Radiohead fans are the worst. "The lyricism is incredible" "You're a mouthbreather if you don't understand their music" etc. No, they just suck.

I concur with all of the above...

AC/DC - all of their songs are exactly the same. Ride the high hat, play some power cords, and drown it all out with screechy lyrics. All songs on all albums. Same.

And this is where you lost me. In their simplicity is their greatness. Because they don't need to play 20 notes a second, and their music still has that weight to it, is another thing that makes them great...

Bands that definitely do not deserve to be mentioned in this thread but have been:

Nirvana (I know they are huge, but they deserve to be huge. Underrated songwriting and musical talent; tons of creativity. Very important band for social & cultural reasons)

The only thing good in this band was Grohl. There are so many other "Seattle" bands that are better that aren't named Soundgarden or AIC.

Green Day - Their album that came out ~3 years ago was terrible, but their earlier stuff was fun and catchy and American Idiot is the best concept album of all time IMO

Offspring - incredibly deep discography; their music has evolved a lot and they're very talented. I don't think they're really *that* popular either.

these are the same bands... Both wannabe punk bands...

With AC/DC I find you thoughts are pretty typical for people who have never played music, those who have tend to not like them that much.

The Offspring have a hell of a lot more to them than the handful of singles most people are familiar with, And they have never been a true 'punk' band, too many other influences.

I have a CD collection that has more than 600 discs. A few, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, TOOL, APC, Offspring, Stone Sour, Deftones, Zeppelin, BOC, Metallica, Disturbed, Machine Head, Mastodon, Mushroomhead, Slipknot, Jimmy Hendrix, Heart, Halestorm, Lacuna Coil, White Zombie, Thrice, I could go on.....

With AC/DC I find you thoughts are pretty typical for people who have never played music, those who have tend to not like them that much.

I find your response pretty typical for someone that knows jacksh*t about music, especially referenced by the bolded bands above...

not to mention, i've been playing guitar a little over 20 years...

Edited by walksalone

Nothing wrong with any of this music. What is it with you tried and true heavy metal guys?

Many of us "tried and true heavy metal guys" have taken so much sh*t from those inviduals that listen to "normal" music, that we've become a bit defense...

Not to mention, there is more talent in most metal bands than 90% of regular bands due to the virtuousity involved in playing music such as this...

Hard to believe nobody has mentioned KISS yet..

Musically so so, more known for putting on a live show...

Kiss is the second band that should be in the Rock and Roll HOF besides Rush. Now that Rush is in Kiss needs to be in. Kiss changed the way concerts were produced and they way bands and rock and roll were marketed. In their hayday no band put on a better show than Kiss. Musically they are just as good as about 90% of any other hard rock band.

Kiss was the biggest band in the world for about 5 years straight.

Deep Purple needs to go in to the HOF before Kiss...

Touche' walksalone! I too play and have been since 71. What alot of people don't realize is how AC/DC is so based in blues which is the basis of rock n roll.

I find your response pretty typical for someone that knows jacksh*t about music, especially referenced by the bolded bands above...

not to mention, i've been playing guitar a little over 20 years...