Any other Huskerboarders survive the June 3rd 1980 G.I. twisters?

With all these twisters in Oklahoma I wanted to know if any of you were by chance in G.I. 36 reported twisters that night with I think 5 touching down. I was almost killed trying to save a barn full of horses with a buddy of mine. Brings back crazy memories.

Anyone else???

My dad and his brother drove up there to witness it. They heard there were tornadoes in GI. The farm was 6 miles north of Hastings. They used to do crazy stuff all the time and seemed to be fearless. They turned around at the interstate. Dad to this day still says that's the nastiest looking sky he's ever seen in his life.

Not me personally, but I hear stories all the time from my GI relation about that night who lived through it.

---

On a related note, GI *really* needs to do something with their dirt-covered debris hill from that night in the middle of town. Erosion is starting to cause rusty metal things to poke out of it, which I don't believe is fun for the kids (or maybe it is, I dunno)...? :dunno

There were 8 that touched down, I believe. My mom was right in the thick of it. Her car was totaled when a tree fell on top of it. It is always cool to here about that time. I live right down the street from the bowling alley that was hit on the south side of town. I believe back then it was called Meves bowl, now Super Bowl. It was reported that they were finding bowling balls in different towns from that bowling alley.

But yeah, they need to do something about tornado hill. It is arguably the best sledding hill in Central Nebraska but there have been more reports in recent years of kids getting hurt. I actually know of one story where a guy wiped out and caught a piece of debris where you shouldn't. Lets just say he isn't having kids in his lifetime.

But yeah, they need to do something about tornado hill. It is arguably the best sledding only hill in Central Nebraska but there have been more reports in recent years of kids getting hurt. I actually know of one story where a guy wiped out and caught a piece of debris where you shouldn't. Lets just say he isn't having kids in his lifetime.

There were 8 that touched down, I believe. My mom was right in the thick of it. Her car was totaled when a tree fell on top of it. It is always cool to here about that time. I live right down the street from the bowling alley that was hit on the south side of town. I believe back then it was called Meves bowl, now Super Bowl. It was reported that they were finding bowling balls in different towns from that bowling alley.

But yeah, they need to do something about tornado hill. It is arguably the best sledding hill in Central Nebraska but there have been more reports in recent years of kids getting hurt. I actually know of one story where a guy wiped out and caught a piece of debris where you shouldn't. Lets just say he isn't having kids in his lifetime.

Yup, it was Meves bowl. I remember cars piled up inside of it. My aunt and uncle lived in the small apartments just off of Bismark on vine St. South locust was leveled.

I can still remember cruising Locust with all the huge old trees lining the street. Seeing it the next day after the twisters was amazing. Not one tree was left. A buddy and I got around the national guard troops by taping red paper red crosses to the side of his car and me flashing my dads air force I.D. around. I still remember the M16's being out because of the looting.