Your Top Five Blackshirts

interesting standards Dr Tom had. DUI's? You're off the team. Beat your girlfriend? 6 game suspension, help win a NC.

It was a repeat violation with Farley though. If I recall correctly, he had one in that prior summer, an incident early season (sat out a couple games or one?) and then that 3rd was the final straw.

I know. I remember the story. I just always felt that Phillips should have been gone for good. Farley deserved what he got. Phillips didn't get enough.

interesting standards Dr Tom had. DUI's? You're off the team. Beat your girlfriend? 6 game suspension, help win a NC.

It was a repeat violation with Farley though. If I recall correctly, he had one in that prior summer, an incident early season (sat out a couple games or one?) and then that 3rd was the final straw.

What happened with Vedral then? Was that a repeat violation? I think he missed his final game as a Husker because of a DUI?

Yes. Vedral did too. But he wasnt kicked off the team. I think he just missed the CCG.

I know. I remember the story. I just always felt that Phillips should have been gone for good. Farley deserved what he got. Phillips didn't get enough.

I understand. But the thing with Phillips is he did everything he was asked to do to a tee. And, from what I read, the reports of what actually happened were a bit over exaggerated. He did his counseling, appeared in court, completed his probation, and kept his nose clean the rest of his career at Nebraska, and frankly, that was his only incident there, period, anyway.

No dog in the fight for me. I agree that the Phillips incident seemed more severe, but just laying out the circumstances as I recall.

1. Jason and Christian Peter

2. Wistrom

3. Rich Glover (before my time, but I've seen the highlights)

4. Suh

5. Kenny Walker 5b. Mike Croel (both great Huskers and Broncos) 5c. Neil Smith (awesome Husker, part time Bronco who helped us win our first Super Bowl)

I've always thought Farley may have been given another chance if the Phillips thing hadn't happened before him. But I agree with you. I think Osborne desparately wanted Phillips to make it in life, and felt that football was his only chance. And the kid grew up in foster homes so it really was the only thing he had. But he dragged a girl down a flight of stairs...

I've always thought Farley may have been given another chance if the Phillips thing hadn't happened before him. But I agree with you. I think Osborne desparately wanted Phillips to make it in life, and felt that football was his only chance. And the kid grew up in foster homes so it really was the only thing he had. But he dragged a girl down a flight of stairs...

Farley was given another chance though. That's kind of the point. He was on strike 3, and he wiffed big time.

You really should read Tom's book "More than Winning" to help understand how and why he handled the Phillips situation the way he did. We tend to agree, or at least not get crossways on many subjects but, it kind of pisses me off when people claim Tom brought him back to win games. Read the book- that's not what was going on.

• Fire 1

Too many to name just 5. Looking at that list and others I would add (Super D, Barron Miles) it is amazing to see what great guys we had coming through here. Guys with great motor (Peter, Wistrom, Glover) and guys with great character (Minter, Rucker, Brown) etc.... We find these type guys we win championships. Not only did they have talent and the "it" factor, but they had swagger and IMO, easily identified as leaders on the field. Their play elevated those around them.

We have been blessed to have that many guys who played at that high a level. I think this is what makes our past 2 seasons, IMO, look even worse.

You really should read Tom's book "More than Winning" to help understand how and why he handled the Phillips situation the way he did. We tend to agree, or at least not get crossways on many subjects but, it kind of pisses me off when people claim Tom brought him back to win games. Read the book- that's not what was going on.

I remember he said he thought he would lose Phillips if he didn't bring him back. And in the short term it worked. It would be interesting to know what the conversation was with Farley.

I admire Osborne for giving it a shot. Too bad Phillips couldn't return the favor

It wasn't that he thought he would lose him. Tom knew where he came from and thought the best thing for LP was to have the structure of the team to provide stability for him. TO did what he thought was best for LP even though he knew he would take heat for it. Unfortunately LP's problems were much more severe and involved that anyone could guess. It is too easy in hindsight to say what he should've done differently. I honestly believe Tom was only trying to help the kid out. Sometimes that'll backfire on you.

I remember he said he thought he would lose Phillips if he didn't bring him back. And in the short term it worked. It would be interesting to know what the conversation was with Farley.

I admire Osborne for giving it a shot. Too bad Phillips couldn't return the favor

Farley had a huge issue with drinking and his teammates will tell you that.

Farley had a huge issue with drinking and his teammates will tell you that.

One wouldnt even have to ask his teammates. His issues were well-publicized enough. I was 12-13 years old at the time, and I remember clearly his multiple violations. Farley may very well be right there with Phillips in the "best that never was" category. And I truly believe, that with Farley on the field, we beat Texas and win a 3rd straight national title.