Recruiting plan

If grammar was an honest indication of intelligence I can honestly say my intelligence was much higher in 5th grade than it is now. I'll go out on a limb and say that goes for most people. However being an aspiring engineer doesn't necessarily translate to intelligence either. Then again even if he was intelligent within the context of engineering it wouldn't be predicative of having a high football IQ. In the classroom you have the luxury to take your time and be methodical. On the field you have to be able to analyze and adjust quickly, not just know the scheme. He must have tested out high on his "football IQ." For me, he definitely passes the eyeball test. The fact that he is a 2 star and was able to impress the coaches enough to get a spot in the class this early is more telling than anything.

If grammar was an honest indication of intelligence I can honestly say my intelligence was much higher in 5th grade than it is now. I'll go out on a limb and say that goes for most people. However being an aspiring engineer doesn't necessarily translate to intelligence either. Then again even if he was intelligent within the context of engineering it wouldn't be predicative of having a high football IQ. In the classroom you have the luxury to take your time and be methodical. On the field you have to be able to analyze and adjust quickly, not just know the scheme. He must have tested out high on his "football IQ." For me, he definitely passes the eyeball test. The fact that he is a 2 star and was able to impress the coaches enough to get a spot in the class this early is more telling than anything.

This was more my point. It's like saying, "I want to be an astronaut, I'm smart."

You can tell when guys look at a list of names with stars, who have obviously not taken the time to watch a highlight tape or two.

Mosleys going to be an engineer, obviously he's smart. So you can conclude that they worked him out saw him run a legit low 4.3 40 then went over film and asked him about defensive schemes. Being the smart kid he is you can assume he knew his concepts when TJ sat him down in the film room. With that info at hand you can make a reasonable assumption the kid wowed Bo enough or showed the ability to pick up a concept quickly to get an offer on the spot, despite being a tad undersized. Bo's got two CB starting in the NFL in his short coaching career. I will trust his judgement.

No way in the world the kid walked in your average football player and said " ya man I just make sure the guy I'm covering doesn't catch the ball, then tackle him if he does" More likely he showed good zone scheme understanding for a HS kid , doubt TJ would put himself thru the agony offering a kid that had two star potential to try and coach up.

Maybe not so obvious...http://bleacherreport.com/tb/daC1T?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nebraska-cornhuskers-football

“Checked out everything, campus life was great can’t wait to come on back, but NOW ‘I am Officially An Cornhusker’!!!!” read the tweet.
Hmmm....

You want to dig up improper grammar on a 17 year old's Twitter... congratulations?

"Dig up" as in quote it from an article that I read that cited it?

Quiet

Right, this is basically what I was getting at. Didn't mean to imply the two were correlated, you can certainly be smart in different aspects of life.

Point being, he impressed enough with his football iq, or atleast showed some quick understanding to get an offer on the spot, (along with obvious ball skills) and that says all we need to know.

You can tell when guys look at a list of names with stars, who have obviously not taken the time to watch a highlight tape or two.

Mosleys going to be an engineer, obviously he's smart. So you can conclude that they worked him out saw him run a legit low 4.3 40 then went over film and asked him about defensive schemes. Being the smart kid he is you can assume he knew his concepts when TJ sat him down in the film room. With that info at hand you can make a reasonable assumption the kid wowed Bo enough or showed the ability to pick up a concept quickly to get an offer on the spot, despite being a tad undersized. Bo's got two CB starting in the NFL in his short coaching career. I will trust his judgement.

No way in the world the kid walked in your average football player and said " ya man I just make sure the guy I'm covering doesn't catch the ball, then tackle him if he does" More likely he showed good zone scheme understanding for a HS kid , doubt TJ would put himself thru the agony offering a kid that had two star potential to try and coach up.

Maybe not so obvious...http://bleacherreport.com/tb/daC1T?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nebraska-cornhuskers-football

“Checked out everything, campus life was great can’t wait to come on back, but NOW ‘I am Officially An Cornhusker’!!!!” read the tweet.
Hmmm....

You want to dig up improper grammar on a 17 year old's Twitter... congratulations?

"Dig up" as in quote it from an article that I read that cited it?

Quiet

So it gives you freedom to rag on the kid and say he isn't smart? Phones have auto correct you know. And switching A to An is not that drastic of one in the grand scheme of things...

Hmmm....

tumblr_inline_mn6r11zRfb1qz4rgp.gif

Pump the brakes, guy. Everyone is entitled to their options about how well the coaches' recruiting strategies work, but it is out of line to personally attack a 17 year old kid. This is NOT RSS.

Very rarely do coaches pay any attention to the "stars" made by recruiting sites (fans shouldn't care either). If you have followed recruiting nationally long enough only those that are in extreme hotbed areas of talent like the South, Texas or California pay attention to stars. I've seen Ole Miss and USC staffs allude to it but majority of the time most coaching staffs pay no attention to them. Most of them that don't pay attention are coaching in regions were there is either one of two things happening... not a huge abundance of regional talent and they know their schools don't get the "bumps" by the recruiting services when a kid commit to them. They just worry about finding the best possible talent that fits what they are looking for on and off the field. Work ethic and character are the two biggest. We should know better that there has been soooo many "lower rated" star kids perform at a 4-5* level in college.

Very rarely do coaches pay any attention to the "stars" made by recruiting sites (fans shouldn't care either). If you following recruiting nationally long enough only those that are in extreme hotbed areas of talent like the South, Texas or California pay attention to stars. I've seen Ole Miss and USC staffs allude to it but majority of the time most coaching staffs pay no attention to them. Most of them that don't pay attention are coaching in regions were there is either one of two things happening... not a huge abundance of regional talent and they know their schools don't get the "bumps" by the recruiting services when a kid commit to them. They just worry about finding the best possible talent that fits what they are looking for on and off the field. Work ethic and character are the two biggest. We should know better that there has been soooo many "lower rated" star kids perform at a 4-5* level in college.

Good post. I tend to look at stars like this. The higher the star rating the quicker the recruit can help your team. 5 stars, higher 4s can come in and contribute very early. 3 stars will probably need atleast a redsirt year and another year or two to develop into a 4, 5 star talent. Just because they have 3 stars doesn't mean much to me, only that they aren't fully developed yet and will need a few years to see the field.

That's why most 5 stars are men amongst boys, they just developed physically earlier then 99% of other kids their age. It's up to the coaches to spot talent and project just how big these kids are going to be 2 or 3 years down the road.

This is why Bo's first two classes are killing us now. The DL guys we got were flops, and we can't get the 5 star play early kids. The last couple classes need time to develop, we need Kevin Williams to be healthy this year for any shot at being decent on the dline.

Very rarely do coaches pay any attention to the "stars" made by recruiting sites (fans shouldn't care either). If you following recruiting nationally long enough only those that are in extreme hotbed areas of talent like the South, Texas or California pay attention to stars. I've seen Ole Miss and USC staffs allude to it but majority of the time most coaching staffs pay no attention to them. Most of them that don't pay attention are coaching in regions were there is either one of two things happening... not a huge abundance of regional talent and they know their schools don't get the "bumps" by the recruiting services when a kid commit to them. They just worry about finding the best possible talent that fits what they are looking for on and off the field. Work ethic and character are the two biggest. We should know better that there has been soooo many "lower rated" star kids perform at a 4-5* level in college.

Good post. I tend to look at stars like this. The higher the star rating the quicker the recruit can help your team. 5 stars, higher 4s can come in and contribute very early. 3 stars will probably need atleast a redsirt year and another year or two to develop into a 4, 5 star talent. Just because they have 3 stars doesn't mean much to me, only that they aren't fully developed yet and will need a few years to see the field.

That's why most 5 stars are men amongst boys, they just developed physically earlier then 99% of other kids their age. It's up to the coaches to spot talent and project just how big these kids are going to be 2 or 3 years down the road.

This is why Bo's first two classes are killing us now. The DL guys we got were flops, and we can't get the 5 star play early kids. The last couple classes need time to develop, we need Kevin Williams to be healthy this year for any shot at being decent on the dline.

I think we need Thad Randle to be able to start. If he can give us some experience and quality minutes up front, I think the young talent around him can be very productive.

Sadly DT recruiting is the toughest position to recruit period. To find kids that are big, fast and strong already that have the motor to play DT aren't in abundance. It leaves most schools looking for kids that can project into a quality DT. Tricky thing is, no one knows how the kid will play once you put weight on him. Some lose that athletic burst and the added weight drains their stamnia. Also many "big kids" just don't have the drive or motor to start with. There was a reason they were big in the first place. Character, heart and motor becomes key in DT recruiting imo.

Sadly DT recruiting is the toughest position to recruit period. To find kids that are big, fast and strong already that have the motor to play DT aren't in abundance. It leaves most schools looking for kids that can project into a quality DT. Tricky thing is, no one knows how the kid will play once you put weight on him. Some lose that athletic burst and the added weight drains their stamnia. Also many "big kids" just don't have the drive or motor to start with. There was a reason they were big in the first place. Character, heart and motor becomes key in DT recruiting imo.

Agree. That's why I don't like the guys that are big like say 300 330 coming out of HS for either tackle spot offense or defense. Seems like the more athletic guys are 250 and gain weight naturally once they get to college. That's why it's so hard to project kids and what makes DT the hardest position to recruit.. Jay Guy, Todd Peat are good examples, just don't have the drive to even thou they have all the talent. It's a tragedy we've missed on so many guys. Hope the 12 and 13 classes break the trend, even Kevin Williams tore his knee up so bad it almost ended his career. Just have had terrible luck.

Agree. That's why I don't like the guys that are big like say 300 330 coming out of HS for either tackle spot offense or defense. Seems like the more athletic guys are 250 and gain weight naturally once they get to college. That's why it's so hard to project kids and what makes DT the hardest position to recruit.. Jay Guy, Todd Peat are good examples, just don't have the drive to even thou they have all the talent. It's a tragedy we've missed on so many guys. Hope the 12 and 13 classes break the trend, even Kevin Williams tore his knee up so bad it almost ended his career. Just have had terrible luck.

If you believe Rivals, there is exactly one five star DT in this year's class and only 22 more four stars. That isn't very many to go around. You have to be able to find the three star kids that are going to out play their ranking.

• 3 months later...

In response to the OP about recruiting lower-rated players, Apparently both Bo and TJ were at possibly the biggest high school game in the country last weekend, New Orleans Edna Karr vs. River Ridge (La.) John Curtis. There were one five star, three four star and five three star recruits on the field for that game - just from the 2014 class - and a couple Husker offers resulted. According to Nate Clouse at Husker Online, that is the first time he can remember Pelini being on the road during a bye week.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this has been mentioned before but I ran across it again today so thought I'd post it.

Current Process for Husker recruiting:

- Coaches are assigned to regions

- When a coach finds a player they like, the pass it along to their prospective position coach

- Position coaches evaluate and pass recruit along to coordinator if they agree

- Coordinators work with Pelini for final decision about an offer