Recruiting plan

I have a question for you guys. I'm not really sure how this idea popped into my head but for some reason I can't bring myself to discount it as a possibility. Do you think there is a possibility that in some cases the coaches will recruit the lower rated prospects a little more based on the thought that they may be harder workers and have more to prove? Now I'm not saying that all 2 and 3 star kids work harder than 4 and 5 star kids, but how many times have we seen it, especially at nebraska, that the kids that come in with more to prove end up being our biggest contributors. Don't get me wrong, I don't care how many stars a kid has next to his name and I will continue to trust the coaches, but for some reason I think this may happen now and again. Thoughts? And if you guys think I'm way off base let me know lol

I have a question for you guys. I'm not really sure how this idea popped into my head but for some reason I can't bring myself to discount it as a possibility. Do you think there is a possibility that in some cases the coaches will recruit the lower rated prospects a little more based on the thought that they may be harder workers and have more to prove? Now I'm not saying that all 2 and 3 star kids work harder than 4 and 5 star kids, but how many times have we seen it, especially at nebraska, that the kids that come in with more to prove end up being our biggest contributors. Don't get me wrong, I don't care how many stars a kid has next to his name and I will continue to trust the coaches, but for some reason I think this may happen now and again. Thoughts? And if you guys think I'm way off base let me know lol

I think with the higher star kids a lot of times you get higher star attitudes, meaning kids who think they are more talented than other kids and who think they deserve to start over others. Though not all high star kids are like this, it is common. Bo has always been a guy who wants to play his hardworking/disciplined/coachable kids. He expects the higher talent kids to work just as hard as the lower talent kids. If you look at our history with 4stars several have left the program because they thought they were good enough to get more playing time elsewhere (i.e. Aaron Green, Braylon Heard, Brion Carnes, Tyler Moore, Ryan Klachko, Chase Rome, Dijon Washington, Todd Peat, etc). If a four or five star kid comes in and works his butt off and follows the team rules and shows discipline off the field then Bo will start them over the lesser skilled player who does the same.

So to answer your questions... I don't think that is the goal with all our recruiting, but I do think it tends to play out that way depending on kids attitudes and stuff.

I think with the higher star kids a lot of times you get higher star attitudes, meaning kids who think they are more talented than other kids and who think they deserve to start over others. Though not all high star kids are like this, it is common. Bo has always been a guy who wants to play his hardworking/disciplined/coachable kids. He expects the higher talent kids to work just as hard as the lower talent kids. If you look at our history with 4stars several have left the program because they thought they were good enough to get more playing time elsewhere (i.e. Aaron Green, Braylon Heard, Brion Carnes, Tyler Moore, Ryan Klachko, Chase Rome, Dijon Washington, Todd Peat, etc). If a four or five star kid comes in and works his butt off and follows the team rules and shows discipline off the field then Bo will start them over the lesser skilled player who does the same.

So to answer your questions... I don't think that is the goal with all our recruiting, but I do think it tends to play out that way depending on kids attitudes and stuff.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Of course I want the all-American talent with the all-American work ethic, but this day and age that seems harder and harder to find. I just feel like Bo thinks he would rather trade a little talent for better work ethic than the other way around.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Of course I want the all-American talent with the all-American work ethic, but this day and age that seems harder and harder to find. I just feel like Bo thinks he would rather trade a little talent for better work ethic than the other way around.

Bo has consistently said he is looking for the right kid to fit the program....5 star player or not, if Bo don't "like" you (or your character) you probably don't get an offer....

Do you think the coaches actually look at the stars?

I think they probably trust their own ability to evaluate talent more than pay service super fans that probably don't see most of these kids in person or have time to really look at their films.

I do think we look for under the radar kids with strong work ethic because we aren't a flash school anymore and we'll lose top rated recruits to bigger fancier programs.

I'm guessing our coaches care less about the recruiting sites. If they did care, they wouldn't offer these kids without stars, who have no comparable offers.

I remember hearing a couple years ago that the coaches weren't necessarily out looking for the top talent across the country, but instead the top players from the top programs, kids who know how to win. Obviously they still recruit the top talent, but I like getting kids with a winning mentality. Just gotta get over that hump and win some championships.

Yup, it's been pretty clear that our coaches could care less about rankings by so-called experts. As such, I highly doubt that they have any preference for under-rated kids. It just works out that way sometimes.

It's been pretty clear for some time that our coaches are good at finding talent before other major programs do. Because of the handicap of our location, it's vital that we continue to out-hustle other programs in this regard.

I would think you would use every recruiting tool you have available. If there are several sites that are doing a lot of research for your, it would be pretty silly to not at least use it to see who might be out there. But I'm sure they make their own decisions on who they think we have a shot at and who would be a good fit in our program.

The last two posts(macro and minny) are the best answers in regards to philosophy by the staff.

And Minny really started hitting the nail on the head. On field results will open the doors to higher results on the recruiting trail. The foundation for recruiting now is solid philosophy wise.

Bo has consistently said he is looking for the right kid to fit the program....5 star player or not, if Bo don't "like" you (or your character) you probably don't get an offer....

Didn't Bo throw out over 200 offers this year? All those kids have character Bo likes?

I'm not meaning this in regards to stars or recruiting sites or whatever. I know the coaches don't are what they have to say. I guess what I'm asking is, do you think the coaches would rather have a guy with all the upside in the world and one of the most athletic people to step on a football field but knows he's that way so maybe doesn't work as hard, or would they rather have the guy that may not have as much potential and a little less athleticism but works his tail off in everything he does and stays humble?

Also coaches look at potential development rather than who can play right now. A few kids are recruited for where coaches think they will be in two years.

And they look more at bad plays than you would think. Are they going full effort even if they are doing the wrong thing? How many good vs bad plays

i looked at our recruits so far, , not too impressed.......seems like nu is taking leftovers this year, and the 4 and 5 stars are being lost to other schools

If you're not too impressed, clearly you're only looking at the star rankings. This is further proved by your "4 and 5 stars are being lost to other schools" comment. Maybe if you'd actually watch up some tape, you'd feel better and actually be able to judge the recruiting class :)