Phil Steele Predicts a NEB vs. Oregon Rose Bowl Game

Just going purely off the way too early preseason polls. I haven't found one that has you ranked yet.

Where are you looking? We have a consensus preseason rank of #18:

http://preseason.sta...ensus/2013.html

We're ranked in the top 25 by all five publications listed on stassen.

Then I stand corrected. This bodes well for the above mentioned situation then. Although 18 still requires some help.

I don't think they'd need any help out of the normal. If there are four undefeated teams at the end of the season, yes, they'd need some help. But if there are only one or two, and Nebraska's one of them, they'll be playing for the title.

That said, I would be very surprised if Nebraska was still in the BCS title conversation this year by the end of November.

I think we play vs OSU with a natty berth on the line for both teams.

Depends on where they rank you guys to start the season. Even undefeated, it's going to be hard to get there thanks to the ESPiN - SEC network. We just got lucky that we should be in the top 5 when it starts.

I don't agree with this. It doesn't really matter where you start if you're in a BCS conference. If nebraska and OSU are in the B1G championship both undefeated, the winner will go to the championship. It's all about $$$. To say nebraska would get passed up by PAC 12, Notre dame, or big 12 school just won't happen. We would bring more $ to a national championship then any other school in the country.

Just going purely off the way too early preseason polls. I haven't found one that has you ranked yet.

Then I stand corrected. This bodes well for the above mentioned situation then. Although 18 still requires some help.

I don't think they'd need any help out of the normal. If there are four undefeated teams at the end of the season, yes, they'd need some help. But if there are only one or two, and Nebraska's one of them, they'll be playing for the title.

That said, I would be very surprised if Nebraska was still in the BCS title conversation this year by the end of November.

There's been numerous instances where an undefeated team doesn't get in and a 1 loss SEC team does.

I think we play vs OSU with a natty berth on the line for both teams.

Depends on where they rank you guys to start the season. Even undefeated, it's going to be hard to get there thanks to the ESPiN - SEC network. We just got lucky that we should be in the top 5 when it starts.

I don't agree with this. It doesn't really matter where you start if you're in a BCS conference. If nebraska and OSU are in the B1G championship both undefeated, the winner will go to the championship. It's all about $$$. To say nebraska would get passed up by PAC 12, Notre dame, or big 12 school just won't happen. We would bring more $ to a national championship then any other school in the country.

If you mean to say that we wouldn't be passed up by a one-loss program from the PAC 12 or Big 12, I would agree. But I could see us being left out of the title game if Alabama and Oregon finish undefeated, with Nebraska or Ohio State being undefeated and ranked #3. Oklahoma could potentially finish ahead of a Big Ten school as well.

There's been numerous instances where an undefeated team doesn't get in and a 1 loss SEC team does.

There have been no instances where an undefeated BCS conference team is replaced by a 1 loss SEC team.

• Fire 1

Thanks Account,

I am just straight forward. I call things as I see them. Sometimes not very favorable even to me. I am old Jar head set in my ways, and too damned old to change. Moraine, I am sorry I have offended you. I listen to everyone's opinion. I have mine. No less love for the Huskers than anyone. Things are what they are, hoping, wishing does not change them. Only action/results change things.

Some I think expect Nebraska to return to what it was in the 90's. I do not expect it, nor do I even think about demanding it. I just want a team that is prepared for every game. The ability to change that plan and rely on other ways to accomplish the mission. I never want to think that we have no clue, no idea at the head coaching area. I know Bo made that statement under bad circumstances. I am sure he had an idea and if he didn't he worked his ass off to figure it out. I am no where near anti Bo as I was when we hired him. I like the things he does with the program. His results are less than what I want, again not wins or losses. But I do believe he is trying his best.

I do not hear much about Nebraska football, except here. I do not follow the recruiting that closely. I never really expect much until they are on campus. Under real action, against equals.

EZE says it will happen this year, that the defense will be good enough for our offense to win a lot of games. I do agree, but mostly because of our schedule. Every game is important. But we have 4 games this year that will tell the real story. Having UCLA at home is a blessing I think.

Again Moraine, I apologize for offending you, I certainly do not intend to.

EZE, no I do not spend time watching tape. Waste of time for me. I do not understand what to look for, or what should or shouldn't happen. I do read Rivals and Scout on occasion. That is their full time job. Me watching them do theirs does not teach me how. I take what they say as far more accurate, than a homer fan (And do not take that as a jab, it is meant as a compliment) less bias.

I do remember watching tape on Marlon Lucky, being compared to Adrian Peterson, how he would rewrite Nebraska rushing records and the such. I had actually seen the kid play and how bad the conference he played in was. He was bigger than most of the linemen on any team he faced. Marlon had a great career at Nebraska, just not the one that most of the tape huggers predicted.

is this a form of irony? rivals and scout had him listed as a the second ranked running back coming out of high school. the tape huggers might need to be given more credit, the recruiting sites less credit or a better example needs to be found.

EZE, no I do not spend time watching tape. Waste of time for me. I do not understand what to look for, or what should or shouldn't happen. I do read Rivals and Scout on occasion. That is their full time job. Me watching them do theirs does not teach me how. I take what they say as far more accurate, than a homer fan (And do not take that as a jab, it is meant as a compliment) less bias.

I do remember watching tape on Marlon Lucky, being compared to Adrian Peterson, how he would rewrite Nebraska rushing records and the such. I had actually seen the kid play and how bad the conference he played in was. He was bigger than most of the linemen on any team he faced. Marlon had a great career at Nebraska, just not the one that most of the tape huggers predicted.

is this a form of irony? rivals and scout had him listed as a the second ranked running back coming out of high school. the tape huggers might need to be given more credit, the recruiting sites less credit or a better example needs to be found.

Or maybe Marlon Lucky wouldve been that good had he received the teaching and development that guys like Helu, Burkhead, and Abdullah have received under Beck and Brown.

Or maybe Marlon Lucky wouldve been that good had he received the teaching and development that guys like Helu, Burkhead, and Abdullah have received under Beck and Brown.

just think if callahan had hired osborne's rb coach how good he might have been.

but my point was, he considered the tape huggers biased when they had the same opinion the recruiting sites do.

just think if callahan had hired osborne's rb coach how good he might have been.

but my point was, he considered the tape huggers biased when they had the same opinion the recruiting sites do.

Maybe. But when it's a pretty unanimous feeling about Lucky's potential, he was obviously talented. But, like many other high profile names that Billber nabbed, the development just wasnt there. Lucky was talented. But like numerous guys that played in that 4-year era, he got jiffed. REALLY jiffed. I really feel sorry for a lot of those guys, for they really never got to experience what Nebraska football is really supposed to mean. The most sorry I feel for is Bo Ruud. His dad and his brother both got to experience the real deal, but he spent his four years in the darkest 4 years.

I somehow doubt Solich would have agreed to be the RB coach just after being fired as the head coach.

I somehow doubt Solich would have agreed to be the RB coach just after being fired as the head coach.

Dave gillespie was RB coach for a few years. He coached some good ones too.