Egypt - I guess that worked out well supporting M. Brotherhood

i guess the Obama victory/apology tour that 1st hit Egypt in 2009 hasn't worked out so well for O's reputation.

If we can get rid of the Muslim Brotherhood there and get a centralist govt this could work out better -

I wonder what has happened the billion+ in economic aid we have given Morsi and the M. Brothers.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-07-02/guest-post-egyptians-love-us-our-freedom

Our politics have reached an interesting stage when patriotic red-blooded Americans are excited to pass on Egyptian messages that are critical of the President of the United States . . . on the day before Independence Day, no less. :hmmph

Maybe if we pretend that the Egyptian people are happy with our politics, then things will get better. :dunno Unfortunately, it isn't just our President that they are unhappy with and critical of. I would bet they don't differentiate between me, you, Obama, Dems, or Repubs. BTW, I wasn't all that excited, more like bored and burning up a little time before calling it a weekend.

Maybe if we pretend that the Egyptian people are happy with our politics, then things will get better. :dunno Unfortunately, it isn't just our President that they are unhappy with and critical of. I would bet they don't differentiate between me, you, Obama, Dems, or Repubs. BTW, I wasn't all that excited, more like bored and burning up a little time before calling it a weekend.

They don't care about "our politics." They want to be a sovereign nation without U.S. meddling. That's a U.S. foreign policy issue, not internal politics. They don't have an axe to grind with Obama any more than they would with Romney or Bush.

I have family in Cairo. The Egyptians are more pissed about the manufacturer's name on the canisters of teargas the police are using than the name of the guy in the Oval Office. And they don't dislike the American people one bit.

n7Kh7qu.jpg

• Fire 2

They don't care about "our politics." They want to be a sovereign nation without U.S. meddling. That's a U.S. foreign policy issue, not internal politics. They don't have an axe to grind with Obama any more than they would with Romney or Bush.

I have family in Cairo. The Egyptians are more pissed about the manufacturer's name on the canisters of teargas the police are using than the name of the guy in the Oval Office. And they don't dislike the American people one bit.

n7Kh7qu.jpg

When I said our "politics" I meant our foreign policy as regards their country and that part of the world. Of course they aren't interested in our internal politics. I agree that it doesn't matter if it's Obama, Bush, Romney or whoever. That was the point of what I posted. However, I find it a little surprising that whoever made that sign in your picture is able to differentiate between Joe Blow American and our governmental leaders. If that is truly the case, the Egyptian people would be vastly different than the majority of the Middle East Muslim countries. Yeah, I know they are actually located in NE Africa....

I find it a little surprising that whoever made that sign in your picture is able to differentiate between Joe Blow American and our governmental leaders. If that is truly the case, the Egyptian people would be vastly different than the majority of the Middle East Muslim countries. Yeah, I know they are actually located in NE Africa....

Out of curiosity, how many people from that part of the world do you know?

• Fire 1

I find it a little surprising that whoever made that sign in your picture is able to differentiate between Joe Blow American and our governmental leaders. If that is truly the case, the Egyptian people would be vastly different than the majority of the Middle East Muslim countries. Yeah, I know they are actually located in NE Africa....

Out of curiosity, how many people from that part of the world do you know?

Zero. My opinion of what people from the Mideast think of Americans is pretty much based on what I see on the news and the relative ease they seem to have recruiting terrorists that hate us enough to do what they do. I am equally sure there is a contingent of people that appreciate some of what the US stands for and represents.

I am not saying that you are not right or that your relatives accounts are questionable. It just strikes me as being a lot more fair and level headed than what usually comes from that section of the globe.

• Fire 1

Why do people frequently try to glob together an entire nation of people like they all have the same ideas? It's like being surprised that a hedge fund manager in NYC, an unemployed college grad in California, and a retired farmer in small town Nebraska probably have very different worldviews. In Egypt there seems to be many unemployed college grads upset about the mismanagement of the economy, an urban elite that is highly suspicious of Islamist, and a great many people that can only be described as an angry mob. Then there's a highly entrenched government bureaucracy resistant to reforms and change, and a well equipped, well trained army that will look after their own interest. It's very difficult to imagine how a fledgling democracy can hope to unite all these various factions for a period of time long enough to effect positive changes in security and the economy.

Having said that, what are we supposed to do? We say we support democracy as long as they vote the right way? The Muslim Brotherhood seemed to win last year because they already had the best base for campaigning, where other candidates had no base and no idea how to run a political campaign. If new elections are held it will probably be a more even playing field.

• Fire 1

Is this really relevant?

Didn't this happen a couple years ago, when they were pissed about their leadership then? Either they keep putting sh*tty leaders in office or the people are really impatient. Are you going to be able to set your watch by each time an Egyptian ruler gets overthrown?

Not to mention, it's Egypt. They've got some neat pyramids and a bunch of rocks in their front yard.

Is this really relevant?

Didn't this happen a couple years ago, when they were pissed about their leadership then? Either they keep putting sh*tty leaders in office or the people are really impatient. Are you going to be able to set your watch by each time an Egyptian ruler gets overthrown?

Not to mention, it's Egypt. They've got some neat pyramids and a bunch of rocks in their front yard.

And that ditch that a lot of tankers hauling oil to Europe pass through

And that ditch that a lot of tankers hauling oil to Europe pass through

a) It's Europe, they don't need oil, haven't they developed a renewable energy source derived from asparagus

b) the Suez Canal may be used "in time of war as in time of peace, by every vessel of commerce or of war, without distinction of flag."