2016 & 2017 Schedules Released

How are we supposed to naturally develop rivalries with anyone when they keep doing this nonsensical, unbalanced, wonky patchjob of scheduling?

I don't think its nonsensical. Nebraska still has to play everyone in its division each year and the switching off for the other cross over games is to get good games e.g., Nebraska playing Michigan, OSU, PSU (assuming those schools all stay decent) as much as possible. When the schedules for these next two years came out, I remember the number of Nebraska fans being very unhappy about not getting good games against teams from the East, this parity scheduling is meant to solve that issue and not just rotate teams in and out for crossovers, but keep the best teams from the East playing the best teams from the West year in and year out as cross overs. I am a fan of it.

The only reason Michigan isn't on there for four years is b/c of the two crappy seasons scheduling wise we have to deal with the next two years. I think this parity-scheduling is great for fans, and yes, it also makes financial sense b/c you have better games to sell to the networks. There will be plenty of games for Nebraska to build up rivalries with the amount of games Nebraska "should" be playing against East top teams (and of course you have every year contests against the West, for whatever that's worth).

How are we supposed to naturally develop rivalries with anyone when they keep doing this nonsensical, unbalanced, wonky patchjob of scheduling?

I don't think its nonsensical. Nebraska still has to play everyone in its division each year and the switching off for the other cross over games is to get good games e.g., Nebraska playing Michigan, OSU, PSU (assuming those schools all stay decent) as much as possible. When the schedules for these next two years came out, I remember the number of Nebraska fans being very unhappy about not getting good games against teams from the East, this parity scheduling is meant to solve that issue and not just rotate teams in and out for crossovers, but keep the best teams from the East playing the best teams from the West year in and year out as cross overs. I am a fan of it.

The only reason Michigan isn't on there for four years is b/c of the two crappy seasons scheduling wise we have to deal with the next two years. I think this parity-scheduling is great for fans, and yes, it also makes financial sense b/c you have better games to sell to the networks. There will be plenty of games for Nebraska to build up rivalries with the amount of games Nebraska "should" be playing against East top teams (and of course you have every year contests against the West, for whatever that's worth).

I hear what you're saying, but I used the word patchjob very specifically.

They are doing what they can now to fix and balance it all out, but that's because they made the mistake of giving us the gauntlet our first two years in the league. One thing the Big XII got right was competitive balance and consistency in scheduling - every two years we would switch Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Baylor for Texas, Okie State and Texas A&M.

I realize it's more complicated than that now, with 14 teams, but the last two and next two years could have been handled so much better. We still won't play Indiana for another three years.

Doing the math, if it works out the way it looks like based on just the released schedules :

Parity Based Teams (Assuming Top 3 East (Neb, Wisc, Iowa(?)) vs Top 3 West (Michigan, OSU, Penn State) - 5 Year Rotation for H&H

Non parity Based Teams - 8 Year rotations for H&H

The permanent rivalry might between Indiana/Purdue might mess up the latter # a bit but I think that looks about right. Of course, this is assuming that the Big Ten doesn't expand again in a few years.

Doing the math, if it works out the way it looks like based on just the released schedules :

Parity Based Teams (Assuming Top 3 East (Neb, Wisc, Iowa(?)) vs Top 3 West (Michigan, OSU, Penn State) - 5 Year Rotation for H&H

Non parity Based Teams - 8 Year rotations for H&H

The permanent rivalry might between Indiana/Purdue might mess up the latter # a bit but I think that looks about right. Of course, this is assuming that the Big Ten doesn't expand again in a few years.

It won't be right down the middle like that with only the best against the best and the worst against the worst. They want to make sure each team plays every team from the other division once every four years, so a four year senior gets to play every team at least once, so however they do that and then fill the open spots with the parity scheduling. So at least two of the four (three once every four years, I think) crossover games should be parity and the other two (or one) should be teams you haven't played in four years.

Disclaimer: I didn't go to math school, so who knows if my numbers are right.

And maybe that's what you were getting at too.

We're essentially getting at the same thing - that's why the full rotations for parity teams are shorter than the non-parity teams.

I think where you're getting tripped up is that there will be 3 cross-over games every year, not 4, since each divisions will have 7 teams starting 2014. That means that only 1(and occasionally 2) of the crossover games will be against another parity team.

We're essentially getting at the same thing - that's why the full rotations for parity teams are shorter than the non-parity teams.

I think where you're getting tripped up is that there will be 3 cross-over games every year, not 4, since each divisions will have 7 teams starting 2014. That means that only 1(and occasionally 2) of the crossover games will be against another parity team.

Right, I knew my numbers weren't going to come out correct :hmmph

Pretty sure the way parity scheduling will work is that you will get h&h with UM,OSU, and Penn State whenever they are available, + 2 rotating.

My guess is that 2018-19 will look something like

2018: Penn State, @Mich, @MSU

2019: Mich, @Indiana, Maryland

and then 2020 will rotate OSU back on again.

In other words, greed is leading to these huge conferences which are ruining the sport.

Couldn't have put that any better...

Just think what it will look like if they went down the road of four 20 team super conferences??