Bo's Job Security - 2013 (Poll 1)

Bo Pelini's job security  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ugh. I know, I know. It's pedantic and stupid and it's typical off-season drivel. But this is a smidge different - I'll do this four times this year: Now, after the non-conference schedule is over, after the regular season is over, and just before Signing Day at the end of January. The point of this exercise is to see how the mood of Husker Fan changes during the course of the year.

This poll will close at the end of July. You have three weeks. May God have mercy on your soul.

Great idea, but I think you'll have a hard time gauging the "mood" of Husker nation with this question. It's too complex. We all know that it's unlikely that he'll get fired after this season, even I know that...but that's not necessarily representative of my personal mood. There's too much that goes into the firing.

It almost needs to be a something like "Bo Pelini is performing adequately in his role as head coach" (strongly disagree, disagree, moderately disagree, moderately agree, agree, strongly agree) - you don't want a neutral response so use a 6 point scale.

And/or something along the lines of "Bo Pelini's performance as head coach is adequately meeting your expectations" - same scale

Great idea, but I think you'll have a hard time gauging the "mood" of Husker nation with this question. It's too complex. We all know that it's unlikely that he'll get fired after this season, even I know that...but that's not necessarily representative of my personal mood. There's too much that goes into the firing.

It almost needs to be a something like "Bo Pelini is performing adequately in his role as head coach" (strongly disagree, disagree, moderately disagree, moderately agree, agree, strongly agree) - you don't want a neutral response so use a 6 point scale.

And/or something along the lines of "Bo Pelini's performance as head coach is adequately meeting your expectations" - same scale

You're probably right, but it's just to pass the time. We're not going to draw any kind of conclusion from this either way.

Out of curiosity, why don't you want a neutral response?

You're probably right, but it's just to pass the time. We're not going to draw any kind of conclusion from this either way.

Out of curiosity, why don't you want a neutral response?

Generally speaking when you're surveying for satisfaction you want to force the user to pick a side. It's probably one of the more debated things in survey methodology. I happen to fall on the side of making the user pick, because a neutral response is pretty much useless to the surveyor. If you force them, they'll lean one way or the other. The only time I use neutral responses is when outside forces would influence which way they lean. Maybe something is taboo so you already pretty much know which way a neutral respondent will lean. In that case, they'll skew the data in that direction so giving a neutral option helps ensure the integrity of the question. Something like "I support gay marriage" when asked in San Francisco is going to have a lean towards the agreement side, the same question when asked rural Alabama is going to have a lean in the other direction. Someone could obviously be neutral on their opinion of gay marriage, but because of the region they are in they'll shift to either the positive or negative because of those outside influences.

the only way bo would get fired after this year would have to involve a scandal.

a. the team would have to have an epic meltdown for them not to compete, if not win, the division.

b. even then, bo would have to demonstrate criminally gross negligence not to get one more year to fix it.