Taylor Martinez----One of the more prolific QB's of all time.

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen 8h

With 2,409 passing yds and 142 rushing yds, Taylor Martinez will join Colin Kaepernick as the only QBs in NCAA history to have 9,000/3,000.

Given all that Taylor has accomplished, it amazes me how much scrutiny he receives from the fan base. He SHOULD reach both of those numbers, and he will have done it in two different elite conferences.... Championships or not, there will be many a time in the future where we will wish we had T-Magic taking snaps for us.... Well done Taylor!

I agree. I'm a huge fan of Martinez. He does things that no other QB is capable of. That scramble for a 76 yd TD in the B1G CCG? Beyond amazing. A couple of days back I was wondering the same thing---why does he receive all the scrutiny? It's the turnovers. They are his Achilles heel.

Well the turnovers and then his initial throwing motion seem to be why he receives so much scrutiny. I'm a Martinez fan, I think he's a great QB and he's done so much to improve not only his throwing motion, but his game management. Hope his senior season goes well for him and he gets a championship of some form.

The kid has earned my respect. Initially I was skeptical, but he has steadily improved, embraced the leadership role and is showing a true desire to win. I loved him getting physical in last years game vs UGA. (Really wish our O line played as mean as he does) His fumbles hurt, BUT the in 2 of the past 3 years he has possibly played behind some of our worst O lines in history which has not helped (this year should be Bo's best). He has also played for 2 different OC's and at least 2 "different systems".

He is a baller, Won't quit and has done a few things besides owning possibly every NU QB record (I know he started for 3 years), BUT he has lead our greatest comeback in history, can possibly join or beat Kaepernick and done this while playong for different OC's, bad line and for arguably one of if not the worst D's (better D play could have gotten him the wins) in NU history. Imagine Martinez and this O with 2009 0r 2010 D.

Fumbles, lack of conference and lack of bowl victories hurt. Not to mention when comparing Martinez to our greatest QB's we are blessed to be (IMO) comparing him to some of the best to have ever played the game as well as on some of the best teams college football has ever seen.

I really hope this is the year he gets the wins and accolades he has earned. D gets a pulse and plays fast we have a shot.............Our O will be hard, if not bordering on impossible on being able to stop from scoring from anywhere on the field. (a maturing Bo per off season comments will help greatly as well)

• Fire 1

But we also need to subjectively step back and put Taylor in Tommie's shoes. In Scott's shoes. In Eric's shoes. Our all-time greats, and try to comprehend what he may have accomplished if he has such a coaching staff, an offensive line, a running back core, and most glaringly, a defense backing him up to the caliber that those guys had.

I think Zac Taylor's lines were worse than Taylor Martinez's. It will be interesting to see how he will rank among past Huskers QB's when his playing days are over.

Here is how I would rank the all time QB's.

Tier 1

Frazier, Crouch, Gill

Tier 2

Frost, S Taylor, Z Taylor (Right now this is where I'm projecting T Magic).

No respect to Tagge or Humm as I was not alive to see them play. Berringer had the misfortune of being a teammate with the best Husker QB that I ever seen.

Tommy had his NC's and Crouch has his Heisman. Gill came so close and he owned the Big-8. Claridge took us out of the dark ages, back in the 60's and Tagge has his NC. Frost has a NC to hang his hat on. Taylor has won so many games for us. He needs to win a title. That's the only thing keeping him from being one of the fan fav. Even if he doesn't, I would hate to think where this program would be without him. He may have cost us a few games, but he has won so many more on just his talent, and with a little better defense, he would have had a conference ring or two. Lets hope the defense can step up this season, because this could be the year. Taylor can't do it all by himself. He is one of the best qb's to put on a Cornhusker uniform, imho. GBR!!!

I think Zac Taylor's lines were worse than Taylor Martinez's. It will be interesting to see how he will rank among past Huskers QB's when his playing days are over.

Agreed. Our OLines were terrible in the 00s. Steadily getting better the last 3-4 years. This year's should be our best line in 10-12 years.

In the beginning I was not a fan. I AM now. The guy has done a good job, and I really respect the extra work he put in to improve his game. It paid off. If only he can get one of those signature "big" wins. Maybe a conference championship to end his career here would be a great way to go out. Then a big bowl victory. I think these sour endings and the way Nebraska hasn't been able to really win "big" games has been the knock on Taylor's career thus far. Even though often times it hasn't been solely his fault.

Before continuing this conversation, we should all watch this play a couple more times. :thumbs:

You seem to enjoy that play. I approve. :koolaid2:

Ha ha! Yeah, I probably dredge that play up too often. OTOH, it's the greatest QB scramble in the history of college football. :lol:

If Martinez had the lights out defense many of the past greats have had, it might be a different story as well.

He should be about a lock for the 9000/3000 club. The offense should be good enough that its worst enemy may well be itself with a fumble or stupid penalty. And only one 'elite' defense on the schedule.