Paps excited about D

Interesting Fisher was sent in place of Beck.

I guess that settles any discussion on who our next offensive coordinator will be.

what? beck's jaw is wired shut because of knapp or something.

And the next in line was sent in his stead.

i do not know about that. he might be the next in succession, technically, but a lot could happen that would change that.

all i am saying is that i am not willing to wager on our next oc.

The craziest part, is how we went from an amazing D with a poor O, to a great Offense with a bad Defense. Now, all of our development is on the offensive side (hello golf coach). In my humble opinion, I think it's a mix of coaching and talent, but Bo's scheme requires fast guys (this isn't Norm Parkers cover 2) and he hasn't had them. Should he have altered his D? Probably. But when it's what you do, and do well, it's hard to adjust.

Our recruiting is following that trend as well. If you'd have told me 4 years ago that Nebraska would be recruiting some of the top WRs in the nation...I'd have laughed at you. 2012 I think (more blindly hoping) will prove to be Bo's best defensive haul.

2011, defensively has been a total bust. Santos is the only defensive contributer left in that entire class. CJ may step up this year...but 1 guy out of an entire class? Hurts.

2010 class? 2, maybe 3 guys are contributors as juniors/seniors.

2009 - 1 guy is currently contributing as a senior?

Basically, if you look at recruiting...Bo could have not recruited a single defensive player for 3 years...and we'd field almost the same defensive unit as we will this year. And what worries me is the 2010 class looked pretty good defensively a couple of years ago, and the 2011 class looked awesome, full of upgraded talent a year ago.

So it's why I'm sort of blindly hoping the 2012 class will turn into Bo's best defensively...because at this point in all of his other class (18 months post signing day) - all his past classed looked pretty dang good too. Then they actually were expected to play football...and poof, reality set in.

I get what you're saying but I think you're being a little to stingy on your contributers:

2011 - CJax and Santos should play a lot. Williams and even Pirman may see some action due to lack of depth at LB.

2010 - Cooper, Evans, HJax, Mitchell, and SJB were all in that class and will likely start or at least play significantly. That's nearly half our defense. We may also see Jay Guy if we're (he's) lucky.

2009 - Ankrah and Randle should be starters playing most of the time.

So basically you gave each class about half as much credit as it deserves.

2011 - CJax has not developed as quickly as I thought he would, but I think he'll get into the 2-Deep and step up this year. Santos was a great get in that class. Williams would not be playing more than 20 snaps if we weren't so thin at DT IMO. Same goes for Pirman. They're young and I could be wrong, but I think these 2 are more a product of the situation than their talent and work getting them into a 2-deep.

2010 - Cooper, Evans, and HJax were my 3. Mitchell is going to be competing with Siesay, Green, Evans, SJB and Rose for that CB spot. Don't see him breaking into the 2-deep. Maybe a 2b...but not much of a contributer this year. SJB I didn't count because he was recruited as a WR. He would probably still be there had there been any kind of depth at CB. (although i'm really glad he moved)

2009 - I missed Akrah, could only think of Randle off the top of my head.

But still...that's 7 defensive players out of 3 classes to fill a 22 man 2-deep. That's putting some pretty immense pressure on the 2012/2013 classes...and elevating some other guys that probably shouldn't be in the 2-deep in the first place.

LOL WHAT?

HAHAHA.

You also didn't count Stafford, Lavonte, Joseph Carter or to a lesser extent, Daniel Davie (of whom will most likely contribute next year because we are stacked at CB)

Oh and 2009 we had Ankrah, Gomes, Green, Martin and Randle who were all contributors. I realize you want players for this year, but some of those players were the GEMS of their class JUCO wise so you can't discount that in recruiting.

Also - regarding Suh, he was recruited a second time by Bo. He was halfway out the door. Almost any other coach and he would've been gone.

Don't you understand Oregon???? When you are trying to shape facts to fit your anti-Pelini agenda you usually bend the truth.

OK then.

1) Paps not having the experience? Paps not having the experience is incorrect for one. He's been with Bo since the beginning of time. He knows Bo's system and philosophies probably better than Bo does. This is better than bringing in some outsider and having a clash of egos so to speak. Also, Bo runs the defense. This has been over-hammered numerous times. If watching the interaction of Bo and Paps (and before, Carl) on the sideline doesnt make this obvious, the you really do NOT pay attention to anything important. Maybe someday this will not be case, and maybe it shouldnt even be the case now, that is up for debate. But as of now, it is what it is.

2) No player development? What do you expect? Chicken salad out of chicken sh#t? I'm sorry, but the last two years the defense has really lacked necessary talent to be the unit it needs to be. As far as player development goes, look on the offensive side of the ball. Look at Bo's first 3 years of defense. There's been plenty of development. Just not enough talent from the first few recruiting classes. Again, this horse is already dead to.

3) You being optimistic. This is comical. I nor anyone on this board has ever seen it and still dont. Goal-line optimism is a laughable concept.

There, that's my 3 disagreements right of the top, and sadly so, it negates about 98% of your thoughts.

In 2004 Papuchis was an intern at LSU. Do you really think he is someone who has the qualifications to coach the "Black Shirt Defense", one of the most storied defensive programs in college history? I don't see it on the field. He was promoted to Defensive Coordinator in 2012. Do you think he really could have the smarts and experience of eight short years to run a top defensive program? Not even close.

And no, there is not player development. Player development is what Tom Osborne built at Nebraska. How many "walk on" players are there currently on the NU squad that came from small schools and worked their way into the starting line up? Osborne knew the importance of the culture of NU football. That culture was getting home grown kids to NU and making them into players. How many recruits does NU have from last year's class? How many from this year's class?

And yes, I am optimistic because I am a huge Husker fan. I always cheer for the team, no matter how bad the defense is under Papuchis. Optimism is part of Husker Nation.

I simply tell it like I see it.

OK then.

1) Paps not having the experience? Paps not having the experience is incorrect for one. He's been with Bo since the beginning of time. He knows Bo's system and philosophies probably better than Bo does. This is better than bringing in some outsider and having a clash of egos so to speak. Also, Bo runs the defense. This has been over-hammered numerous times. If watching the interaction of Bo and Paps (and before, Carl) on the sideline doesnt make this obvious, the you really do NOT pay attention to anything important. Maybe someday this will not be case, and maybe it shouldnt even be the case now, that is up for debate. But as of now, it is what it is.

2) No player development? What do you expect? Chicken salad out of chicken sh#t? I'm sorry, but the last two years the defense has really lacked necessary talent to be the unit it needs to be. As far as player development goes, look on the offensive side of the ball. Look at Bo's first 3 years of defense. There's been plenty of development. Just not enough talent from the first few recruiting classes. Again, this horse is already dead to.

3) You being optimistic. This is comical. I nor anyone on this board has ever seen it and still dont. Goal-line optimism is a laughable concept.

There, that's my 3 disagreements right of the top, and sadly so, it negates about 98% of your thoughts.

In 2004 Papuchis was an intern at LSU. Do you really think he is someone who has the qualifications to coach the "Black Shirt Defense", one of the most storied defensive programs in college history? I don't see it on the field. He was promoted to Defensive Coordinator in 2012. Do you think he really could have the smarts and experience of eight short years to run a top defensive program? Not even close.

And no, there is not player development. Player development is what Tom Osborne built at Nebraska. How many "walk on" players are there currently on the NU squad that came from small schools and worked their way into the starting line up? Osborne knew the importance of the culture of NU football. That culture was getting home grown kids to NU and making them into players. How many recruits does NU have from last year's class? How many from this year's class?

And yes, I am optimistic because I am a huge Husker fan. I always cheer for the team, no matter how bad the defense is under Papuchis. Optimism is part of Husker Nation.

I simply tell it like I see it.

You are the biggest bigot on this board. There will never again be 5-8 players in the state that we can scholarship and the walk-on program (while it truly is top notch) will never be what it was. Why? BECAUSE THERE ARE NOW SCHOLARSHIP LIMITS AND MORE OPTIONS FOR CFB PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Show me how many kids from the 2008-13 Nebraska kids deserved scholarships? How many have succeeded at a major D1 level?

Next, our scheme and good coaching put players that would have never else worked made them look better. From there, its up to them to make the play. We weren't good at linebacker last year because in the BIG 12 you don't use them. We have done a lot of catch-up work in that area in terms of recruiting.

I expect a huge athletic upgrade on defense this year.

Question Goal-line, should we go back to option football??)?)

Tim Beck.

I win.

Tim Beck.

I win.

hold up, beck was an OC before became nebraska's OC. never mind the fact that it was used against him when he became OC.

now, as to paps being qualified to be DC after just 8 short years. yes, he could have the smarts (whatever the hell you mean by that) and experience bo needed in 8 short years. he is getting on the job training basically because he has bo to fall back on. and iirc the game planning leading up to every game is a collaboration. but hey what do i know.

Tim Beck.

I win.

hold up, beck was an OC before became nebraska's OC. never mind the fact that it was used against him when he became OC.

now, as to paps being qualified to be DC after just 8 short years. yes, he could have the smarts (whatever the hell you mean by that) and experience bo needed in 8 short years. he is getting on the job training basically because he has bo to fall back on. and iirc the game planning leading up to every game is a collaboration. but hey what do i know.

No he wasn't. He was a wide receivers coach 3 years at KU and "Passing game coordinator" for one year at Kansas, which is akin to Barney Cotton's "Run game coordinator" here. Mark Mangino called the plays at KU.

Tim Beck.

I win.

No he wasn't. He was a "Passing game coordinator" at Kansas, which is akin to Barney Cotton's "Run game coordinator" here. Mark Mangino called the plays at KU.

He was actually the OC at Nothwest Missouri State or some D3 school like that, but that's not exactly the same as being the OC at Nebraska.

No he wasn't. He was a wide receivers coach 3 years at KU and "Passing game coordinator" for one year at Kansas, which is akin to Barney Cotton's "Run game coordinator" here. Mark Mangino called the plays at KU.

my bad. i meant that part as sarcasm and facetiousness. wanted to throw that out there before anyone tried to actually say he was an OC. even though they disregarded the fact when he became NU's OC.