Favorite Back-up

I thought I would start a topic to pass some time before the season starts.

Jeff Smith was my favorite backup. Smith came in the 1984 Orange bowl and had 99 yards on 4 carries after Rozier got hurt. He has 473 yards rushing in 2.5 games rushing the following year before he got hurt. Smith was not as big as Rozier, but he was faster. I wonder how great he could have been if he started in 1983 or stayed healthy in 1984. Smith reminds me of Burkhead. A backup until his senior year, which starts off great, and ends with an injury.

My favorite story about 1995 Huskers was after the Michigan State game that NU won 50-10. Late in the game, Jay Sims broke off a long run for a TD. After the game, Nick Saban was asked about NU, and he basically said "They are so talented. I thought their best RB was the 6th stringer who had that long run after the game."

There were so many good backs on that '95 team.

bobby newcombe

Maybe this is another thread, but I wonder how good Newcombe would have been without injury. How many teams have a QB that could return punts for TDs?

DeAngelo Evens is another potentially great husker that couldn't stay healthy. That was when Husker water was contaminated causing all the abdominal injuries.