Adam Taylor....our very own

I think a lot of people take comparisons the complete wrong way. For example, when Braylon Heard committed, I compared HIS PLAYING STYLE AND THE WAY HE RUNS THE BALL to Felix Jones. Never did I say he was as good, simply said that is the best description of his game.

Hopefully I cleared that up, now Adam Taylor's game reminds me of Adrian Peterson.

It's hard not to respect what these kids (Taylor and Newby) bring to the table. You can't watch their high school film and not see great things coming from them. If you agree that they have impressive athletic ability, then you are "respecting" them. It speaks nothing to the respect you have for their character--but these guys look like they are high character guys as well--but you can't say, "they aren't going to be anything at Nebraska." That's a flat out wrong statement.

I can't wait to see what AT brings to the college level. He's an impressively strong kid, and he and Newby could be our version of thunder and lightning. Behind an improving pipeline, the future looks bright.

There seems to be a whole lot of animosity being directed towards Braylon Heard in these past couple of pages. First of all, I don't blame Heard for leaving. He wasn't getting his playing time here, for whatever reason, so he decided to do what was best for his career. The goal is to get to the NFL, and you don't achieve that by sitting behind two running backs. It sucks that he went to Kentucky (with all the VM garbage), but that's his choice.

+1

I don't think anyone says they WON'T do anything, and I'm in the camp that thinks Taylor will be amazing, it's more of a they haven't done anything yet so how can they be in higher regard than players who have played. Cross was thought to be a hidden gem that we snagged last year and was gonna shake things up, but now you see people bagging on him left and right (not myself, I love the guy), so you never know how any guy is gonna turn out and that might be where some of the people are coming from.

I think that's a pointless argument to be making, from both sides. Heard played well, when he was on the field. Cross has played well, when he has been on the field. Abdullah has played well, when he has been on the field. Taylor and Newby played well in high school and they bring a lot of potential to the backfield. Why we are making a distinction between any of them is ridiculous.

Well, I mostly agree. However, I'm not going to agree that there should be no distinction between Ameer and AT or TN.

One has rushed for 1100+ yards in a full season of college football in a major conference and shown the ability to stay healthy to boot. Two have never played a collegiate down.

I think their are certain players you know will do well - just because they have the "it" factor and you know it will be impossible to keep the rock out of their hands - whether that is gut feelings, looking at tape or what not, some people just have it. For example: TJ Yeldon, Isiah Crowell, De'Anthony Thomas, Sammy Watkins, etc.

I know they hadn't played a down yet, but each one of those players their respective schools knew they'd be big time before they played a college down.

Lawrence Phillips, while behind bars currently, was one of the best overall backs Nebraska's ever had. As a true freshman. Let's see what this kid can do before we start throwing THAT comparison out there.

I can't find this Adam Taylor kid in any of the college football records books? Surely being mentioned with LP, AP, and all these other Nebraska legends I should be ale to find his name in there somewhere? I google search it and google acts like the guy has never even carried the rock at the college level? sh#t is crazy.

Ok, this thread was brought here to see what us AS INDIVIDUALS thought of Mr. Taylor and how we thought he would perform. Who gives a f#*k if he hasn't taken a snap, or who he is being compared to? Are some of us Husker fans, who aren't unhappy all the time about things, not allowed to be excited about a kid? Are we not allowed to hype someone up a little bit? Who gives two sh#ts less if he is compared to Phillips!!! The kid is a HUGE downhill runner, who can also be light on his feet for his size and the way he plays ball. You guys need to chill out some and allow some of us who are excited to have some fun, instead of coming in and pooping everywhere.

Again, I think Mr. Taylor will be the next big thing since Ahman Green. Can he be better than Phillips? Sure he can. Will he? We shall see during his future here, time will only tell. Its not a crime to be a happy Husker fan. Some of you posters need to lighten up some.

Lawrence Phillips, while behind bars currently, was one of the best overall backs Nebraska's ever had. As a true freshman. Let's see what this kid can do before we start throwing THAT comparison out there.

I can't find this Adam Taylor kid in any of the college football records books? Surely being mentioned with LP, AP, and all these other Nebraska legends I should be ale to find his name in there somewhere? I google search it and google acts like the guy has never even carried the rock at the college level? sh#t is crazy.

Ok, this thread was brought here to see what us AS INDIVIDUALS thought of Mr. Taylor and how we thought he would perform. Who gives a f#*k if he hasn't taken a snap, or who he is being compared to? Are some of us Husker fans, who aren't unhappy all the time about things, not allowed to be excited about a kid? Are we not allowed to hype someone up a little bit? Who gives two sh#ts less if he is compared to Phillips!!! The kid is a HUGE downhill runner, who can also be light on his feet for his size and the way he plays ball. You guys need to chill out some and allow some of us who are excited to have some fun, instead of coming in and pooping everywhere.

Again, I think Mr. Taylor will be the next big thing since Ahman Green. Can he be better than Phillips? Sure he can. Will he? We shall see during his future here, time will only tell. Its not a crime to be a happy Husker fan. Some of you posters need to lighten up some.

Geez, calm down nancy. We can all do as we choose to do. Nobodies telling you you can't get a raging hard on for him if you want to. All I'm saying is one, it's too early in the morning for you to get yourself so worked up, make sure you take your pill today, and two, it's far too early in his career for a guy like me to be getting overly excited about his skills.

I seem to remember hyping up a guy named Brion Carnes myself. No, I never was dumb enough to say he's the next Peyton Manning or anything like that but I did say he has all the tools to be successful at this level. I specifically remember being dogged on for only basing that judgment off his high school highlight reel.

Taylor's got some skill, really some of the best we've seen recently out of any RB recruit. We should be excited about him, I'm just not going to set the bar too high for the kid in my own mind. I want him to make his own name, not try to live up to someone else's.

Ameer Abdullah was a 3-star under-the-radar recruit.

Aaron Green was considered one of the best RBs in the state of Texas, a 4-star blue chip.

Braylon Heard was also a 4-star recruit.

Which one of these guys had the most success? Recruiting evaluations only go so far. After that, it's about who can step up and put the work in to be great. Ameer has done that. I have confidence that Taylor and Newby will do the same, but only time will tell. If they have the work ethic that Ameer has, their ceiling is even higher, and it will be extremely fun to watch those 2 RBs down the road. It will be similar to Castille and Helu as a one-two punch.

Calvin Jones average more yards per carry than Phillips, still holds the yards per game record (294), most touchdowns in a game (6), season leader in yards per attempt (8.33), Calvin was a team player and never complained about splitting the load with other backs. So ya, I would take Calvin over Lawrence. Marlon may have been a bit of a stretch, but I still think LP was over rated due the line and QBs he had.

You reallize that Phillips would have shattered the most yards in a game record if he wasn't done playing early in the 3rd quarter of most of his games right? He also never had to complain about sharing the ball because he was so good he didn't have to say anything and there was no one who could stand toe to toe with him. And go read what his teammates have said about him. They say he was an excellent teammate. And in 95 had he not been suspended he would have easily rushed for over 2,000 yards and as someone else said, he would be our 4th Heisman trophy winner, he was that good. Calvin was a stud but Phillips was a Triple Crown winner.

+1 If you remember Jason's Peter's radio show in Lincoln, he had many ex Hukser players on there as guests. Just about all of them said Lawrence Phillips was hands down the best PLAYER on the team when asked by Peter. You could hear the reluctance in their voice sometimes due to his issues, but they spoke the truth. I am going to weigh their opinions much more than our opinions as fans on the outside looking in. I also thought Derek Brown was a better pure running back than Calvin Jones.

Calvin Jones average more yards per carry than Phillips, still holds the yards per game record (294), most touchdowns in a game (6), season leader in yards per attempt (8.33), Calvin was a team player and never complained about splitting the load with other backs. So ya, I would take Calvin over Lawrence. Marlon may have been a bit of a stretch, but I still think LP was over rated due the line and QBs he had.

You reallize that Phillips would have shattered the most yards in a game record if he wasn't done playing early in the 3rd quarter of most of his games right? He also never had to complain about sharing the ball because he was so good he didn't have to say anything and there was no one who could stand toe to toe with him. And go read what his teammates have said about him. They say he was an excellent teammate. And in 95 had he not been suspended he would have easily rushed for over 2,000 yards and as someone else said, he would be our 4th Heisman trophy winner, he was that good. Calvin was a stud but Phillips was a Triple Crown winner.

Ask a guy that might know a thing or two about great Husker backs, he would tell you that LP was the best ever at DoNU. Go back to the 94 OB and see how Jones as a Jr. fared against the Free Shoes defense compared to LP as a Fr.

That guy is named Solich, btw. Heck, even Rozier admitted that LP was the better back.

That being said, lets wait a couple of years before we put Taylor above those 2 guys. I hope he ends up being that good, but I'll wait until I see the kid on the field.

• Fire 1

I think most people are excited from a combination of his highlight film, and work ethic. Immediately after his HS season ended he hired two trainers. One for strength, one for speed. The guy is as dedicated as he can be. Not only is he dedicated he also has elite skills. Ron Brown said every time he talked to Adam he was either going to, or coming back from a workout.

He is going to be something special.