Paradoxical Seasons

The loss of Sanders

What?

IMO Marvin Sanders is one of the best secondary coaches of all time. I also believe Sanders provided additional insights to the defense beyond the secondary. The defense took a big hit when he left.

I don't think TJ is a significant downgrade and he brings more to the table in terms of Recruiting than Marvin did.

Marvin's claim to fame was Corey Cooper in which he did an awesome job with. However, he didnt use his recruiting skill very often.

We didn't need Linebackers in the Big 12 at all. Suh masked a lot of our issues at that position because at times he was our linebackers.

Suh did do that, but also, that defense was built for guys like Lavonte... Tweeners that were a little too small for LB, but a bit too big for a DB....

Agree completely with you. Our defense really only required one maybe two tops. Linebackers that is.

Sean Fisher would have been a very good Big 12 LB.

But look at the teams we've lost to. Other than the SEC teams, they've mostly been spread teams like what we faced in the Big XII. Only Wisconsin is a more "traditional" offense.

2011 - Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan

2012 - UCLA, Ohio St., Wisconsin

Maybe spread offenses from a formation standpoint, but the ways they used the spread were entirely different. The teams in the Big 10 that have spread offenses had tremendously talented running qb's and utilized their feet in a much more balanced attack. The Big12? Well, it was sling it all over the yard with predominantly pocket style qb's. They were somewhat mobile, yes, but they were no Cain Colter. They were no Dennard Robinson, and sure the hell were no Braxton Miller. Our defense in the Big 12 was predicated on assuming pass every play, extensive film study and understanding the opponent's route tendancies out of all and any formations, and then topping it off by allowing Suh to pretty much single-handidly contain the opponent's run game. In the Big 10, some of the offenses may have still been spread, but were much more balanced. Now all a sudden our secondary has to become extremely involved in defending the run. This is not what they had been accustomed to. Now, pair that with a thin d-line and linebacker core, that also became extremely beat up and really wasnt all that talented to begin with, and it's no wonder we had the issues we had.

what? seriously what? The Big 12 had no running qb's? now i even question if you watched games other than nebraska. The Big 12 had plenty of very mobile qb's.

husker_99, you're stretching what he said.

not really. for every qb he listed i name a better one from the Big 12.

Do it.

no restrictions?

Restrict it to the past 4-5 years.

1. Colt Mccoy

2. Robert Griffin

3. Collin Klein(junior season passed to close 2,000 yards and rushed for about 1,500 yards and senior season passed for about 2,500 yards and rushed for about 900) about on par with Braxton Miller's stats for the last two years if not better. He didn't start all games his freshman and sophomore years.

1) Colt McCoy came to UT as a pocket passer and only developed into a decent running QB his junior/Senior year. Telling us he ran for 500 yards two years isn't much. That's less than 60 a game.

2) Will give you RG3.

3) You can't be serious comparing Klein to Miller. Miller is by far and away the more explosive QB

Here's my list

1) Russell Wilson (no explanation needed)

2) Dennard Robinson

3) Braxton Miller

You proved MR A's point by giving stats. The last two on my list were spread-option QBs. You can't possibly say that McCoy was a better runner than either of them. In the Big 12 QBs were dropping back and throwing 40-50 times a game. Not the case with these three I listed. That was Mr. A's point.

Eh, Colt McCoy?

2 years racked up over 500 yards rushing each season. yes i know that is low but also means he just more than scrambled outside the pocket. Kain Kolter rushed for 654 yards in 2011 and played all games. 2012 894 yards.

You more or less proved Mr Accountabiliy's point with these stats.

1) Colt McCoy came to UT as a pocket passer and only developed into a decent running QB his junior/Senior year. Telling us he ran for 500 yards two years isn't much. That's less than 60 a game.

2) Will give you RG3.

3) You can't be serious comparing Klein to Miller. Miller is by far and away the more explosive QB

Here's my list

1) Russell Wilson (no explanation needed)

2) Dennard Robinson

3) Braxton Miller

You proved MR A's point by giving stats. The last two on my list were spread-option QBs. You can't possibly say that McCoy was a better runner than either of them. In the Big 12 QBs were dropping back and throwing 40-50 times a game. Not the case with these three I listed. That was Mr. A's point.

his point was that the Big12 had no dual threat qb's. . Mccoy could run but as his line became better he didn't have to run as much. I gave stats to prove that all 3 were about the same give or take. Vince Young playing 3 seasons only had 500 more rushing yards per season than Mccoy and played in a passing oriented offense, would you say Young can't run?

just for kicks both Texas and Baylor run spread passing offense.