Combatting the "We Aren't Relevant" Argument

I think you are mixing the arguments or we have a different definition of "splash." And its unfortunate that all I can tell you is to wait and see. With the product offensively we put on the field last season, its okay to admit that we recruited that side of the ball extremely well the past four years. Unfortunately, all I can tell you is wait and see this year on defense. I'd love to revisit this in November.

i sure hope you're right...but we've been hearing this for a long time now. that's why a lot of us are now firmly in the "wait and see" mode.

I recognize that we aren't as relevant as we used to be or want to be, but it does not really bother me either. I hope that doesn't make me a bad fan or anything, but I'm content these days with an entertaining product on the field and having a school I can be proud of. Anything more relevant than that is just gravy to me.

Actually with our record, I would give anything to be compared to three of those teams. All have played in and won CCG and played in BCS bowls. That in its self might tell you where we are.

This is a big year for this program. We all want them to win and be able to play with anyone. Hopefully we will see it this year, but I am not buying in until it shows consistently on the field.

Actually with our record, I would give anything to be compared to three of those teams. All have played in and won CCG and played in BCS bowls. That in its self might tell you where we are.

This is a big year for this program. We all want them to win and be able to play with anyone. Hopefully we will see it this year, but I am not buying in until it shows consistently on the field.

ASU and KSU has won conference championship GAMES and BCS bowls?

KSU won the Fiesta Bowl for the '97 season. Wasnt technically a BCS bowl, but it was an "Alliance Bowl", so maybe that counts.

KSU won the Fiesta Bowl for the '97 season. Wasnt technically a BCS bowl, but it was an "Alliance Bowl", so maybe that counts.

KSU won the Big 12 last year. In fact, they have won 2 (2003, 2012) since Nebraska's last.

we are not relevant. michigan gets more attention than us when we ostensibly had a better year than them. people do not have the confidence of neb returning to prominence as they do other down teams. we will have to show up or shut up until we prove otherwise. it is largely because of our small market as well. not only have we not proved anything in awhile, we do not have a national appeal that guarantees a certain amount of relevance.

• Fire 1

KSU won the Big 12 last year. In fact, they have won 2 (2003, 2012) since Nebraska's last.

They may have won the conference but they didnt win a conference championship GAME. Under the Big 12's old rules, they would have been playing an OU team that would have beaten them the first time they played last year had Blake Bell not gone full delta bravo and fumbled the snap on the goalline. Big difference not having to play a team twice in a year than having to prove it once more. The Big 12 would do right if they added back their CCG. I think that has been discussed as a possibility IIRC.

"National Relevance?" I could care less. Its a "who's is bigger" game.

We are going to be very relevant to the teams that have to play us this year and there are going to be at least 13 teams that we are going to give very tough match-ups to. That I am supremely confident in. Granted, we need to be ready to play each and every game on our schedule and maintain the discipline that has been lacking the past few years to do so, (whether that falls at the coaches feet, the players feet, the lack of vocal leadership, what have you) but each team that plays us this year will have to bring their A game. There will be no team on our schedule we arent capable of beating plain and simple.

They may have won the conference but they didnt win a conference championship GAME. Under the Big 12's old rules, they would have been playing an OU team that would have beaten them the first time they played last year had Blake Bell not gone full delta bravo and fumbled the snap on the goalline. Big difference not having to play a team twice in a year than having to prove it once more. The Big 12 would do right if they added back their CCG. I think that has been discussed as a possibility IIRC.

Reaching a little bit, aren't we?

Did Nebraska win their conference championship? No.

Did Kansas State? Yes.

The end.

Reaching a little bit, aren't we?

Did Nebraska win their conference championship? No.

Did Kansas State? Yes.

The end.

Completely different circumstances.

KSU last year did not have to play in a Conference Championship game to win theirs. True.

We did. True.

We had to prove it on the field against an opponent we had already played once before and beaten. True.

KSU didn't. True.

This by no means excuses our performance in the CCG. True.

This by no means takes away from anything KSU did during the year. They did what was required of them to win their conference crown. True.

What was required of KSU was different and easier than having to play a team twice in one year. True.

I dont see how anything above is a reach. To claim that we would honestly be in elite company with KSU or ASU is absolutely ridiculous. KSU played an elite team (as we did twice) for the first time all season in their bowl game and got smashed and out-athleted in all three phases of the game.

The end.