Combatting the "We Aren't Relevant" Argument

I see relevance differently than some. I dont see it as having to be champions or being in such a mix year in year out to be relevant. Nebraska gets talked about. Whether it's our fans, Team jack at the ESPY's, facilities, conference move, or even Bo's tantrums, Nebraska gets talked about. That's being relevant in my opinion. Indiana? Purdue? Kansas? Iowa St? That's irrelevant.

Iowa St did something similar for a kid during their spring game and it barely got any run in the Des Moines Register. I am not sure Bo wants the ESPN pub that Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, or Bob Stoops get covering practice and all. Nebraska won't be revelant as a NC contender till they get over the hump, but Bo gets on Rome. What is your definition of revelant?

I see relevance differently than some. I dont see it as having to be champions or being in such a mix year in year out to be relevant. Nebraska gets talked about. Whether it's our fans, Team jack at the ESPY's, facilities, conference move, or even Bo's tantrums, Nebraska gets talked about. That's being relevant in my opinion. Indiana? Purdue? Kansas? Iowa St? That's irrelevant.

What is your definition of revelant?

I thought I just told you.

What is your definition of revelant?

I thought I just told you.

Revelant is not a word. So I guess there is no definition.

If "relevant" means repeated finishes in the AP top 10. Nebraska hasn't been relevant for quite a while. If "relevant" means national respect and familiarity... absolutely. Nebraska has a national reputation and following to be envied. Nebraska hasn't lost a lot in that regard.

JMO.

If "relevant" means national respect and familiarity... absolutely. Nebraska has a national reputation and following to be envied. Nebraska hasn't lost a lot in that regard.

JMO.

I guess that's what I was getting at. Thanks for putting it into the right words for me. That's why Nebraska's still relevant in my opinion.

The whole being relevant argument has only become noteworthy with the advent of social media and the hype machine that is the "mothership" (aka, ESPN)...

I think many of us were just fine with being under the radar during the 80's and 90's and the only grumbling about the team was either from your family, neighbors, or some guys at the office or bar...

• 4 weeks later...

Actually it would be a story coming out of Boulder.

It's DIVISION ONE FOOT BAWL! IZ A BIG TWELVE!

Go play innermurals, brother.

I think what's most telling about our current relevancy though is, it's front page news when the Huskers drop out of the Top 25. I can't remember if I posted that in this thread or not. Of course if we want to be in the title discussion we'd need to perform that way first. But when we struggle, the media takes note. It's not an afterthought or a foregone conclusion. It's "Oh, wow, look. Huskers hitting a speed bump."

Well shucks. I guess the last 24 hours shuts the book on this case.

Would all this be a story coming out of Boulder, Ames, Bloomington, or Champaign? I dont think it would.

So it takes a borderline scandal for us to get some media run?

If that's the kind of relevant that we are, I'd rather be irrelevant

Nebraska is relevant, just the fact that there is debates if it is, shows relevancy. The irrelevant teams don't need to be discussed if they are or not. It's an old program, it's an above par consistent quality program, a school written in the historical annals of college football. You cant take that away, and you cant buy that. This goes for several schools in the BIG as well, even the hated ND. The press can go F itself with it's just out of college virgins who think that college football is 5 years old. There is a big picture and in the long term Nebraska is in it.

If one has to argue the point, then we're not, just as one is not famous if someone has to point you out and tell who you are and what makes you famous.

I would say if one wanted to pick a SINGLE benchmark, it's who is watching you in the Top 25 to see how they get above you. The harder those calculations are, the more relevant you are.