What do you guys look for in a media member covering the Huskers?

I like writers who know what they're talking about. There's nothing worse than a 'sports' writer who has never played the game, doesn't really understand the game but tries to come off like they are experts at the game. Blah! McEwen and Nyatawa are my favorites. They know the game, are professional and love Nebraska! Not much wrong with that! :)

I like writers who know what they're talking about. There's nothing worse than a 'sports' writer who has never played the game, doesn't really understand the game but tries to come off like they are experts at the game. Blah! McEwen and Nyatawa are my favorites. They know the game, are professional and love Nebraska! Not much wrong with that! :)

Umm...I don't know that either one of them 'played the game.' But at the same time, some sports writers definitely know the game.

I like reading Shatel and McKeon. They are good. Sipple is a little to much of a sugar coater. Neyatawa is pretty good.

Dirk is the worst for trying to stir up controversy, I think he feels like he is being hard hitting and honest when mostly he is being a dick and trying to stir up controversy. He can write very well, but likes to dwell on the negatives too much.

Then we have Lee Barfneckt, he is my least favorite writer. Like someone said earlier I like a little homerism in local writing. Lee thinks he is writing for the Washington Post and has to be objective and hard-hitting. He really thinks he is a better writer than he is.

There were a few posts about wanting media members who played the game? What level of playing are you asking from them? Most sports writers probably get into the media side of sports because they aren't great athletes, but love sports. If the writers are smart enough, they should be able to understand the aspects of the game. I also hate analysts on the TV or radio who spout off all these ridiculous comments and we must trust them "because they played the game". These same players get mad at media members "who never played the game".

I do like former athletes who are able to speak intelligently about the game. I am a huge fan of Damon Benning, and his work on 1620 the Zone. I think he gives a good blend of covering today's teams while blending in some aspects of his playing days. Obviously, Jason Peter is one former Husker athlete who was very polarizing on the radio, who seemed to be stuck in the 90s.

We have an excellent set of writers and it's hard to really pick out the best of them

I'd put my rankings as far as OWH/LJS goes as

1. Sam

1a. Shatel

3. Dirk

4. Sipp

5. Nyatawa

6. Christopherson

6a. Kaipust.

There are a bunch of ancillary guys that cover stuff like the overall CFB scene/B1G scene (Barfy) or recruiting (Sean Callahan, Nate Klouse) or do other side reporting (The Babcocks, etc) that I don't really know how to categorize too. Everyone that I just mentioned though is quite good. Guys that I like more than most people are Shatel (I reeeeeeeeeeeally like Shatel), Dirk (Dirk goes overboard and seems misguided every now and then but he's a smart guy and a great writer; unfortunate that he never gets any credit for it) and finally Nyatawa. He's a really sharp guy and is personable as well. Like McKewon, he always seems to have a good sense of the big picture.

• Fire 1
Honesty and insight. I'm usually not too interested in the official mouthpiece of the athletic department (Sipple, Shatel to some extent, etc.)

Pretty bad to characterize Shatel with Sipple. Shatel is no sunshine pumper whatsoever. He can be downright scathing when the situation calls for it.