***2015 Recruiting***

Wait Mavric...I am confused. What makes you think David Santos is a non-contributor that might not come back for his senior season? He has been a starter for the last 2 years (including this one).

This. Did you mean someone else Mav..?

Yeah, sorry about that. That was supposed to be David Sutton.

So that is 5-6 added with the few guys in the class that somehow won't make it and a casualty that always happens each offseason 20 sounds right to me

I don't think 12 + 5/6 = 20. About 18 is the number I've heard most often.

You mentioned roughly 5-6 players. How often does every member of a class make it to NU? How often does a transfer etc take place? You don't think we could find a way to get 20? The way we are tossing out offers makes you wonder

Could we get to 20? Of course it's possible. Will we? I don't think so. I'm sure there will be attrition but the question is how much. For every commitment we take from here on out, we have to lose someone. So we'd have to have 6 leave early/not make it to get to 18. We might have 8 leave/not get here but that seems like a lot for no more non-contributors than we have.

So that is 5-6 added with the few guys in the class that somehow won't make it and a casualty that always happens each offseason 20 sounds right to me

I don't think 12 + 5/6 = 20. About 18 is the number I've heard most often.
You mentioned roughly 5-6 players. How often does every member of a class make it to NU? How often does a transfer etc take place? You don't think we could find a way to get 20? The way we are tossing out offers makes you wonder

Could we get to 20? Of course it's possible. Will we? I don't think so. I'm sure there will be attrition but the question is how much. For every commitment we take from here on out, we have to lose someone. So we'd have to have 6 leave early/not make it to get to 18. We might have 8 leave/not get here but that seems like a lot for no more non-contributors than we have.

I just feel that with the hit or miss rate that exists you need to sign 20-25 a year to have a semblance of depth to compete at an elite level

Updated with the addition of Morgan. Some more of the targets we're still working on in parenthesis.

Consensus is we're looking for WR-DE-LB and would also take QB-OT-DB if we find someone we really like. For quite awhile it sounded like two WRs was the number but lately several reports say three if we find another one. I think DE-LB is definitely the priority from here out. Still would take OT-WR-DB-QB roughly in that order depending on who we find.

QB - 1 - Dillman (Jackson)
RB - 1 - Bussey
WR - 2 - Lundie, Morgan
TE - 0
OT - 2 - Gaylord, Jurkovic
OG/C - 1 - Decker (Perry)

DT - 2 - C. Davis, K. Davis
DE - 2 - Neal (Jones)
LB - 1 - (Young, Brightwell, Henderson, Smith)
CB - 2 - Lee, Anderson
S/N - 1 - Williams (Williams)

We need a class of 20-22 period not 16ish like others are mentioning.

how exactly do you suppose that will work

Heard of attrition? We have it each year and never account for it

We currently have 12 commits (13 counting Walton) and that would put us at 85 scholarships without counting Turner or Moss. We're going to need some attrition to be able to take 16.

How many non contributors are sucking our roster dry?

How many of those in the past have been cut loose? Bo has already said that it s up to the coaches to bring in contributers. If they are actually student athletes, they stay on scholarship

We currently have 12 commits (13 counting Walton) and that would put us at 85 scholarships without counting Turner or Moss. We're going to need some attrition to be able to take 16.

How many of those in the past have been cut loose? Bo has already said that it s up to the coaches to bring in contributers. If they are actually student athletes, they stay on scholarship

So if they are not athletically good enough to help the team why should they maintain their scholarship? What happens to a kid that gets an academic scholarship and he can't keep his gpa up? UNL has no problem yanking the scholly for that but they are above it when a kid can ride the pine and keep a 2.0? Something is broken there

I'm not sure exactly what each situation is but mostly guys who didn't come back for a fifth year. Tyler Evans, Walker Ashburn, Donovan Vestal, Jay Guy and Toby Okuyemi were all guys that didn't return for a fifth year this year.

So if they are not athletically good enough to help the team why should they maintain their scholarship? What happens to a kid that gets an academic scholarship and he can't keep his gpa up? UNL has no problem yanking the scholly for that but they are above it when a kid can ride the pine and keep a 2.0? Something is broken there

I'm not Bo so I'm not sure why you're trying to convince me of how you think the roster should be handled. Other than what Mav brought up about 5th year seniors, typically bo doesn't cut guys loose because he cant evaluate talent as long as the player does what is required of him as a student athlete.

I'm not sure exactly what each situation is but mostly guys who didn't come back for a fifth year. Tyler Evans, Walker Ashburn, Donovan Vestal, Jay Guy and Toby Okuyemi were all guys that didn't return for a fifth year this year.

Think walker was medical but I get what you're saying. I think if it were more about your not contributing, they would have been off the team before their fifth year. I'm guessing the coaching staff was honest with them on where they stood on the depth chart and offered them the chance to start their life and earn a living or continue to practice with the team. I'm obviously speculating but who knows.

Think walker was medical but I get what you're saying. I think if it were more about your not contributing, they would have been off the team before their fifth year. I'm guessing the coaching staff was honest with them on where they stood on the depth chart and offered them the chance to start their life and earn a living or continue to practice with the team. I'm obviously speculating but who knows.

I agree. It's kind of a fine line to walk. I don't think cutting guys early is the way to go. I think we have a good reputation of taking care of guys that probably helps recruiting others down the road. But if there are some guys who are on track to graduate in four and aren't helping on the field, moving on is fine.

But it's looking like we won't have to worry about this very much going forward. chuckleshuffle

A couple of key B1G rules to consider. First each team is only allowed to oversign the 85 limit by 3 and can't exceed the annual limit of 25 no matter what. Second, and I only point this out as a go forward consideration on this topic as it started this year, the conference moved to guaranteed 4 year scholarships. While that 2nd point doesn't directly affect the current players, I am betting a lot of Coaches will back date this to their entire roster for equality.

A couple of key B1G rules to consider. First each team is only allowed to oversign the 85 limit by 3 and can't exceed the annual limit of 25 no matter what. Second, and I only point this out as a go forward consideration on this topic as it started this year, the conference moved to guaranteed 4 year scholarships. While that 2nd point doesn't directly affect the current players, I am betting a lot of Coaches will back date this to their entire roster for equality.

Doesn't mean you can't sit a kid down and say he won't be seeing any snaps during his career here and if he feels like playing he may want to move along