1620 Round Table

Segment 4 had some interesting stuff on last year's Wisky game and then Foreman had some cool stuff about the mid 90s teams.

PJ Smith said the biggest problem with last year's Wisky game was that guys on D played too individually. There were guys trying to make the big plays, rather than playing team defense.

Then Benning and Foreman were talking about guys who didn't always play "smart football" but made the plays anyway. They said that on a sack on Weurfel against Florida in the Fiesta Bowl, 2 guys went to the same gap on a blitz. It was a wrong play, but it worked out. Foreman said that Farley never played like he was "supposed to", but he was athletic enough that he made plays. Farley said "I don't play against the blockers, I play against the ball." Against Texas Tech in 1995, that McBride told Foreman that he had to cover up for Farley, because McBride knew that Farley was just going to go out and do that thing.

I heard just tidbits but I think your assessment of PJs comments are a little harsh. The part I heard was a discussion specifically about the CC game last year against Wisconsin where he said it was NOT the fault of Bo and it was the fault of the PLAYERS. And, I didn't hear him make a distinction that did not include himself.

I think Sam McKewon provides some good insight to the conversation. He is not a former player, so he seems a little more stable and level-headed.

He talked a bit about some of Bo's bad losses. Against Wisky in 2011, it is very hard to play in Madison, Russell Wilson is a great player who will play in the NFL for a long time, and Taylor and the WR's made a few mistakes. Against Michigan in 2011, he didn't feel that Michigan had a lot more talent than NU, it was just a game where the special teams had so many mistakes and the game got out of hand.

Segment 6 had a questioned asked about "simplifying the defense". PJ Smith says that the D was being simplified last year, and is more simplified this year (he is working with Harvey Jackson). Benning commented that the D is a sight based defense, so the players have to take some ownership on the defensive calls, based on what they see out there.

Foreman says that the beginning of the season will be a learning process for the defense. He thinks that a LB will need to step up and be a leader.

That's been a theme. An adverse situation hits the players and they have a difficult time overcoming it. When things snowball, they really snowball. The defense gets the brunt of this because of the blowout losses, but the offense deserves blame (especially for the turnovers) and special teams deserves some heat too (muffed returns).

Nebraska hasn't faced many teams recently that were noticeably more talented, but I do think they've needed better talent in some key positions aka the front seven. And though I think Pelini and his staff are functional and know what they're doing, I don't think they're quite at a level where they can make up for glaring talent gaps with good coaching.

• Fire 3

Segment 7 was talking about leaders for the D. The consensus is that Ciante can be a leader for the D, but he won't be the "leader" making the calls on the D. That is the responsibility of the LBs and safeties. Foreman says that a D-lineman and a LB need to step up and lead the D. Foreman also said that Compton was consistent last year, but not "spectacular" and was limited by his physical abilities. He thinks that the young guys have a high risk/reward because of their youth and athleticism.

McKewon commented a bit about the O-line (after a question from the audience). He says that the pass protection should get better this year (and down the road) as the recruiting has been better in terms of getting taller/leaner O-lineman (ie Sterup). Sam did say that he was a little more lenient than others when it comes to the O-line, and that the memories of the 90's O-lines cloud the perception of fans. Benning agreed that the fans are biased and only want to remember the 90's linemen.

Rather ironic PJ calling people out. Maybe he should point the thumb. And last I knew, Carl's defense didnt give up 93498232987149327 yards per game.

that's an exaggeration, and you know it.

I know, right. Damn Bo-haters. Always tryin to spin things to promote their agenda.

Anyway, on a serious note in response to what Landlord says. Maybe there were some things that Carl did or taught that were still having an effect on the players and how they played. I'm really bettin on this whole "addition by subtraction" concept is something we really see this year.

That's been a theme. An adverse situation hits the players and they have a difficult time overcoming it. When things snowball, they really snowball. The defense gets the brunt of this because of the blowout losses, but the offense deserves blame (especially for the turnovers) and special teams deserves some heat too (muffed returns).

Nebraska hasn't faced many teams recently that were noticeably more talented, but I do think they've needed better talent in some key positions aka the front seven. And though I think Pelini and his staff are functional and know what they're doing, I don't think they're quite at a level where they can make up for glaring talent gaps with good coaching.

Yeah, when we get behind it seems like guys try to do too much. Sometimes it works out well for us (NW, Penn State, Wisconsin1 last year, tOSU in '11). Sometimes not (Wisconsin2 last year, Michigan in '11).

Segment 8 first gets into the Big 10 championship game against Wisconsin. PJ Smith points out that the performance of that game was 100% on the players. He said Bo had the team prepared for the game and those plays. They went over those jet sweeps countless times. They did it right in practice, but in the game, they didn't do what they were supposed to do, himself included. Bo tried to change things on the sidelines, and the players didn't get it.

McKewon responds that they should have had better depth at D-line. Pelini did say that they should have played more bodies at the D-line a week after the game. Wisconsin was able to expose the lack of depth at the d-line with their physicalness.

Foreman and Benning would like to better understand the culture and the development that program is going to have. Foreman points out that it can be hard for today's kids to take a step back individually for the better of the team. Foreman says that there are qualities that can be carried forward from the 90s teams that can be used in today's game. That is why he and Benning bring up the 90s teams.

Rather ironic PJ calling people out. Maybe he should point the thumb. And last I knew, Carl's defense didnt give up 93498232987149327 yards per game.

that's an exaggeration, and you know it.

I know, right. Damn Bo-haters. Always tryin to spin things to promote their agenda.

Anyway, on a serious note in response to what Landlord says. Maybe there were some things that Carl did or taught that were still having an effect on the players and how they played. I'm really bettin on this whole "addition by subtraction" concept is something we really see this year.

One thing that Benning says that will really help this year's team is the lack of coaching turnover this year. The same message and communication from ALL of the assistant coaches will be there for this year, and that is a plus.