Taylor Martinez opens up

knapplc

Really good read by Sam McKewon (again). A look behind the curtain with Taylor Martinez. This part struck me in particular:

“I really didn't know what to expect,” Martinez said. “I didn't know how the media was. No one really told me how to speak to the media or anything like that. I wish someone would have helped me out a little bit. It was rough. I didn't know how, especially as a redshirt freshman.

“That's why I didn't talk to the media much. I didn't want to say something wrong and frustrate the fans or anything like that. I maybe should have talked to the media more my freshman year but, at the time, I thought it was the best for me. I was still young. I was trying to figure things out.”

LINK

Read the whole article. Kenny Bell & Ron Kellogg III talk about the real Taylor. Bo talks about the fishbowl he put Taylor in, and how he's coped.

That quote above, though. For all the grief he's gotten from Nebraska fans - still gets - he's still trying to do the right thing for them. That's pretty cool.

• Fire 1

Really good read by Sam McKewon (again). A look behind the curtain with Taylor Martinez. This part struck me in particular:

“I really didn't know what to expect,” Martinez said. “I didn't know how the media was. No one really told me how to speak to the media or anything like that. I wish someone would have helped me out a little bit. It was rough. I didn't know how, especially as a redshirt freshman.

“That's why I didn't talk to the media much. I didn't want to say something wrong and frustrate the fans or anything like that. I maybe should have talked to the media more my freshman year but, at the time, I thought it was the best for me. I was still young. I was trying to figure things out.”

LINK

Read the whole article. Kenny Bell & Ron Kellogg III talk about the real Taylor. Bo talks about the fishbowl he put Taylor in, and how he's coped.

That quote above, though. For all the grief he's gotten from Nebraska fans - still gets - he's still trying to do the right thing for them. That's pretty cool.

Excellent insight...thanks for sharing.

He does still get grief from Nebraska fans and from the media, but it's much more justified now than it was. It's always been ok to criticize him for throwing interceptions or fumbling the ball. But two-three years ago there were so many personal attacks on his character, even from the media. I'm still amazed at how out of control that was, especially considering that he wasn't even following an all-time great, like other controversial QB's Jammal Lord and Scott Frost.

I don't think there are very many fans who realize just how lucky we are to have a kid like Taylor representing the program. For him to put up with all the crap he put up with his first few years and then still want to hang out to take pictures and sign autographs for an hour after Fan Day says a lot about the kind of person he is.

LINK

I tell you what Knapp, like the guy or not, but anyone with any sort of proper perspective can obviously see that Taylor is uncomfortable speaking with media. He has been since day one. I'm a one that never really understood the big hub bub with his "media relations" to begin with. Many times he would let out a gaffe in an attempt to say something that would literally please everybody. I just want the man to let it all hang out this year, be 100% himself, and do what he's fully capable of. HE deserves it.

Zach Taylor gets a lot of credit for holding N together during some rocky years. Deservedly so.

But the fact Bo has stuck by Martin-ez for 4 straight years, basically saying "we will be with him no matter what" deserves a lot of kudos, even more than ZT.

How many dozens of position swithces has there been all over the 2-deep? Yet with TM, for better or worse, he has been our guy while Bo and the staff has figured a lot else out.

After TM got hurt agaisnt mizzery and still showed up every week (putting aside his future health. Heisman hype, etc) and just balled out--I've been a huge fan of his and knew he was our guy leading Bo to his next 5 yrs--which to me are important than the 1st five.

I put TM into my top 7 players last 15 years EASY.

Zach Taylor gets a lot of credit for holding N together during some rocky years. Deservedly so.

But the fact Bo has stuck by Martin-ez for 4 straight years, basically saying "we will be with him no matter what" deserves a lot of kudos, even more than ZT.

How many dozens of position swithces has there been all over the 2-deep? Yet with TM, for better or worse, he has been our guy while Bo and the staff has figured a lot else out.

After TM got hurt agaisnt mizzery and still showed up every week (putting aside his future health. Heisman hype, etc) and just balled out--I've been a huge fan of his and knew he was our guy leading Bo to his next 5 yrs--which to me are important than the 1st five.

Well to be honest, Bo really didn't have a choice since all of our back-ups didn't really size up to what they should have been.

Well to be honest, Bo really didn't have a choice since all of our back-ups didn't really size up to what they should have been.

I disagree.

TM was benched during the texass game. He missed reps during aTm, Green started ISU and CU IIRC, winning both.

Not saying they were better than TM, no way they were better.

But the QB is THE most important position on a team, bar none. I think Bo, even in his coaching infancy, knew that having a solid starter, even one needing work, for 4 years would pay dividends down the road moreso than say, having a 4 yr starter at safety, OLB, or WR.

Basically, win or lose good or bad, Bo hitched his wagon to TM. And although it took taylor some time to be "fan or media savvy" he has been the glue to sniff for NU.

I disagree.

TM was benched during the texass game. He missed reps during aTm, Green started ISU and CU IIRC, winning both.

Not saying they were better than TM, no way they were better.

But the QB is THE most important position on a team, bar none. I think Bo, even in his coaching infancy, knew that having a solid starter, even one needing work, for 4 years would pay dividends down the road moreso than say, having a 4 yr starter at safety, OLB, or WR.

Basically, win or lose good or bad, Bo hitched his wagon to TM. And although it took taylor some time to be "fan or media savvy" he has been the glue to sniff for NU.

Rex Burkhead was a better backup QB than anyone else we had. That pass in the Big 12 title game against OU was far better than anything Green ever did. I'm only half-joking on this one...

• Fire 1