Depth Chart for WYO Game is here!

ESPY

I find it a little interesting that they have Nathan Gerry listed at 210. I know we thought that he reported at 220. I trust the coaches and all but it seems like 210 is a little small for a linebacker. However, if Bo thinks this is best then I'll trust that.

Not sure what his weight is... but looking at his body type --- he is ripped and chiseled and is likely disproportionately strong for his size. I'd think his size will not be a deterrent to his play. And... he is among the quickest and fastest guys on the team. So... I am excited to see what he does.

I find it a little interesting that they have Nathan Gerry listed at 210. I know we thought that he reported at 220. I trust the coaches and all but it seems like 210 is a little small for a linebacker. However, if Bo thinks this is best then I'll trust that.

Demarrio and LaVonte were around this when they played. And back in the day, guys like Dumas, Stewart, Johnson, Ortiz, Williams, Farley were all around this weight and they had to deal a heck of a lot more of a power style running game than our guys do today.

I'm just one that believes that this minimum weight for linebackers is a little overrated. Another 10-15 pounds really wont matter much, unless of course it slows you down. Imagine the disaster had they felt the need for LaVonted to pack on another 10 pounds but in the process he loses a step.

I find it interesting that Nathan Gerry isn't even mentioned as a nickel back...he's a linebacker and that's it.

Ya mean Dime, right? I still think he is playing a bit of Dime as well.

I thought he was backing up Ciante in nickel...I originally posted dime and then retyped it when I looked on the roster based on what I read there. could be dime i suppose.

Never heard Nickel, but you could be right.

Demarrio and LaVonte were around this when they played. And back in the day, guys like Dumas, Stewart, Johnson, Ortiz, Williams, Farley were all around this weight and they had to deal a heck of a lot more of a power style running game than our guys do today.

I'm just one that believes that this minimum weight for linebackers is a little overrated. Another 10-15 pounds really wont matter much, unless of course it slows you down. Imagine the disaster had they felt the need for LaVonted to pack on another 10 pounds but in the process he loses a step.

The listed weight and the actual weight of any player on this team or any other team for that matter is definitely up for debate. Most guys will lose weight during the season. Most are already lighter than they were coming into fall camp.

Weight is the second most overrated measurable in football, the first is height.

The listed weight and the actual weight of any player on this team or any other team for that matter is definitely up for debate. Most guys will lose weight during the season. Most are already lighter than they were coming into fall camp.

Weight is the second most overrated measurable in football, the first is height.

I dont know about height being overrated. That's a pretty significant measurable anymore with regards to matchups. you gotta a 6'5" receiver and youre gonna try to pin him down the sideline with your best corner, but he's only 5'11. I wouldnt say height doesnt matter. Then you look at tackles. Tackles need to be taller and lankier so 1)they have longer arms for the pass pro and 2) their weight is better distributed. Give me a choice of two tackles that are 320 pounds, one is 6'7" and the other is 6'3" with equal ability, and I'm takin the taller one every time. height equals length and space covered. And the way the game is played now, more is merrier-to an extent. obviously, you dont want some 7 footer runnin around out there. And obviously there are exceptions. but I guarantee you there numberous instances where Taylor martinez wishes he was about 6'4".

I find it interesting that Nathan Gerry isn't even mentioned as a nickel back...he's a linebacker and that's it.

Ya mean Dime, right? I still think he is playing a bit of Dime as well.

I thought he was backing up Ciante in nickel...I originally posted dime and then retyped it when I looked on the roster based on what I read there. could be dime i suppose.

Never heard Nickel, but you could be right.

Ciante has always been the Nickel. Gerry and Z. Anderson were both working at Dime but Z. Anderson is Will and Gerry has been at Buck.

I dont know about height being overrated. That's a pretty significant measurable anymore with regards to matchups. you gotta a 6'5" receiver and youre gonna try to pin him down the sideline with your best corner, but he's only 5'11. I wouldnt say height doesnt matter. Then you look at tackles. Tackles need to be taller and lankier so 1)they have longer arms for the pass pro and 2) their weight is better distributed. Give me a choice of two tackles that are 320 pounds, one is 6'7" and the other is 6'3" with equal ability, and I'm takin the taller one every time. height equals length and space covered. And the way the game is played now, more is merrier-to an extent. obviously, you dont want some 7 footer runnin around out there. And obviously there are exceptions. but I guarantee you there numberous instances where Taylor martinez wishes he was about 6'4".

Obviously -- shots!

We are talking about 2 different things. You are comparing two players against each other due to height. Yes when all things are equal the guy that is 2" taller is going to get the nod.

I am talking about rejecting someone because he does not measure up to the height they have for a certain position.

Bill Callahan would have loved to have Will Shields playing guard for him in the NFL, but he would not recruit him to Nebraska because he is too short for what he deemed the ideal offensive linemen. Aaron Taylor would be another one of the countless O-linemen that Nebraska has had that were great players but a little on the short side. Dave Rimington is about 6'2"

Ralph Brown and Mike Brown might have been 5'9", I know they were listed taller, but have stood right next to them and I was taller and I am a shade under 5'10"

My point is that if a kid can play than he can play. To reject someone do to his height is stupid.

I like that Ciante will be on the field in the base defense. Although, I don't know how much we'll see the base defense against Wyoming. Which is a good thing for us, since our strength on defense is depth in the secondary.*

I like that A-Rod and Valentine aren't "-OR-" guys. At least I hope it's a good sign of their development over the offseason.

*On the other hand, it might be a bad thing in terms of preparing our base defense for conference play.

We are talking about 2 different things. You are comparing two players against each other due to height. Yes when all things are equal the guy that is 2" taller is going to get the nod.

I am talking about rejecting someone because he does not measure up to the height they have for a certain position.

Bill Callahan would have loved to have Will Shields playing guard for him in the NFL, but he would not recruit him to Nebraska because he is too short for what he deemed the ideal offensive linemen. Aaron Taylor would be another one of the countless O-linemen that Nebraska has had that were great players but a little on the short side. Dave Rimington is about 6'2"

Ralph Brown and Mike Brown might have been 5'9", I know they were listed taller, but have stood right next to them and I was taller and I am a shade under 5'10"

My point is that if a kid can play than he can play. To reject someone do to his height is stupid.

Who said anything about rejecting someone due to being short? Yeah, if they can play, they can play. But that doesnt mean that height is the most overrated measurable. It is rather significant. In the Oline references, youre talking about guards. I'm talking about tackles. Them are two different animals right there. Like I said, take to tackles/DB's/WR's of the same ability and athleticism, and ones 4 inches taller than the other, I'm takin the taller one every time. That's all. I'm just sayin the height is not a throw away type of measurement. it does matter.

Account, again we are talking about different things. Too many players get down graded because they are too short for normal convention. Heck yes, I want tall a player, but if I am watching film and see a kid that looks good, but is a little short I am not going to stop recruiting them. Guys that are a little shorter are used to playing against taller guys in many instances. It is just one of the obstacles they have to overcome.