This team is going to be fine.

Beck didn't miss the receiver by five yards, TM did. If the passes are thrown like that, it doens't matter at what point we are at in the game. Yes, we probably could have continued to run it and possibly closed the game out at that point. But we also have to be able to use the passing game at any point of the game, not just when we are down big. That call didn't turn the game around, the pass did.

Martinez almost hit Burtch in the head with that pass. Not sure where you're getting "five yards" but it was slightly behind Burtch. The problem was, Burtch wasn't looking for the pass. He didn't turn his head until the ball had already been intercepted. If he has his head in the backfield at his break, at the worst he disrupts the pass for an incompletion. At best it's a catch for a first down.

The thing that keeps me optimistic for this season is we don't play the schedule to have a 2007-type collapse. We just don't. We play 2 decent offenses in UCLA and Michigan, and probably no elite offenses. Okay? Maybe 2 blowout losses (assuming things don't go awry vs. Northwestern). That's the status quo around here.

If being fine means keeping our heads above water, yeah, we'll be fine.

Northwestern looked great against Cal

I'm curious about something. To those blasting Beck for calling for a pass at that point. If it hits for a TD, is it then a great call?

Beck didn't miss the receiver by five yards, TM did. If the passes are thrown like that, it doens't matter at what point we are at in the game. Yes, we probably could have continued to run it and possibly closed the game out at that point. But we also have to be able to use the passing game at any point of the game, not just when we are down big. That call didn't turn the game around, the pass did.

As to our defense. I'm torn, that 600 yards is ugly, but there really does seem to be some legimate talent out there. I thought Santos looked absolutely horrible in the first quarter but seemed to improve from that point on. Gerry, McMullen, and #44 (damn, just blanked on his name) all look like they are going to be solid. If our other two linebackers come back, and are as good as touted here, that is a good sign.

I just am not sold on the scheme. Without a Suh force up front it seems highly ineffective. Smith did play really well, but our defenses over the past few years have a habit of making OK quarterbacks look a lot better than they really are.

It would have probably made the final score look better, but it was not the correct call. The right call was to run the ball & take the points.

The problem was, Burtch wasn't looking for the pass.

The problem was Martinez threw it to the wrong team. Like many others, I thought Burtch ran the wrong route, but after seeing what Rich Fisher and Taylor Martinez said about it, the INT is on Martinez.

Well, TM might have had a bad pass, but the ball almost hit Burtch so it was definitely within arms reach. But Burtch wasn't looking so it went right passed him to a defender. Was that on the QB or the WR? I certainly can't tell; I'm not sure why you're so confident it was the QB.

The thing that keeps me optimistic for this season is we don't play the schedule to have a 2007-type collapse. We just don't. We play 2 decent offenses in UCLA and Michigan, and probably no elite offenses. Okay? Maybe 2 blowout losses (assuming things don't go awry vs. Northwestern). That's the status quo around here.

If being fine means keeping our heads above water, yeah, we'll be fine.

Northwestern looked great against Cal

Lest we forget Wyoming ranked 72nd in 2012 in yards per game in the FBS, with 389 yards/game.

Northwestern was 63rd

Penn State was 52nd

UCLA was 24th

Fun fact: Wisconsin was 65th, averaging 393 yards per game. Without that 2nd game against Nebraska they would have been 87th, averaging 374 yards per game.

The problem was Martinez threw it to the wrong team. Like many others, I thought Burtch ran the wrong route, but after seeing what Rich Fisher and Taylor Martinez said about it, the INT is on Martinez.

Well, TM might have had a bad pass, but the ball almost hit Burtch so it was definitely within arms reach. But Burtch wasn't looking so it went right passed him to a defender. Was that on the QB or the WR? I certainly can't tell; I'm not sure why you're so confident it was the QB.

Because like I said in my post....I read what Rich Fisher and Taylor Martinez had to say about it.

TM said that it was miscommunication. He thought Burtch was going to break off his route earlier than he did. If so, then his ball was thrown pretty accurately and it is understandable why Burtch wasn't looking for the ball yet.

TM said that it was miscommunication. He thought Burtch was going to break off his route earlier than he did. If so, then his ball was thrown pretty accurately and it is understandable why Burtch wasn't looking for the ball yet.

Yes. And Rich Fisher said Burtch ran the correct route. So here's what I know. Burtch ran the correct route and the ball was intercepted. Taylor said there was a miscommunication. I'd say so.

Yes. And Rich Fisher said Burtch ran the correct route. So here's what I know. Burtch ran the correct route and the ball was intercepted. Taylor said there was a miscommunication. I'd say so.

And we know that Taylor Martinez is the worst quarterback in the history of football, so there's that. :sarcasm

And we know that Taylor Martinez is the worst quarterback in the history of football, so there's that. :sarcasm

I like Martinez. His turnovers are frustrating.

I'm curious about something. To those blasting Beck for calling for a pass at that point. If it hits for a TD, is it then a great call?

This is something I usually try to get people to keep in perspective. Often times, if a play works, it's a great call. If it doesn't work, it's a bad call. That said, in this particular situation, I would have questioned the play call even if it had been successful. Obviously, we wouldn't be dwelling on it if that were the case, though. Some people will never be happy with a play call, too. If it's 3rd and 1 and we run a ISO play that gets stuffed, some people will say we should have run a quick out-route or hook route. The same is true if we try a pass in the same situation - many will think we should have run.

the easy schedule we have had these last years and will have this year masks the reality of the quality of the team. NU has been winning 9 games a season for a while --- where 4-5 wins come against teams that 90% of the major conference programs would go undefeated against.

To be fair, this is how many, many teams get their wins every year. I'm sure you realize this, but this is something certainly not exclusive to Nebraska by any means.

This is something I usually try to get people to keep in perspective. Often times, if a play works, it's a great call. If it doesn't work, it's a bad call. That said, in this particular situation, I would have questioned the play call even if it had been successful. Obviously, we wouldn't be dwelling on it if that were the case, though. Some people will never be happy with a play call, too. If it's 3rd and 1 and we run a ISO play that gets stuffed, some people will say we should have run a quick out-route or hook route. The same is true if we try a pass in the same situation - many will think we should have run.

the easy schedule we have had these last years and will have this year masks the reality of the quality of the team. NU has been winning 9 games a season for a while --- where 4-5 wins come against teams that 90% of the major conference programs would go undefeated against.

To be fair, this is how many, many teams get their wins every year. I'm sure you realize this, but this is something certainly not exclusive to Nebraska by any means.

quite correct Enhance. I agree.. many teams get a reasonable subset of their wins that way. What differs is the truly good teams end with only 1-2, perhaps 3 losses (at best) because while they do a good subset of their wins by beating fish (like NU does) they ALSO get wins against quality opponents too (to a higher degree than does NU).

For things at NU to be fine by NU standards... an average of 2.5 losses a year over time would be needed... with a spattering of 1 loss seasons with a 0 loss season per decade on average (and a 3 and even a 4 loss season thrown in every now and then). But a continual 4 loss season after 4 loss season is not fine.

Some of the routes are reads- if/thens based on what the defense does

Taylor Martinez was 17 - 22. One was a bad interception. Another one should have been. A couple were brilliant fade route touch passes for TDs. Another was an absolute laser for a TD. Another was an absolute laser that the receiver dropped. One was a lucky deflection when Taylor was trying to make something out of nothing after a bad snap.

If you were to plot out the 63 running plays and detail the fumbles, short gainers and no-gainers, you'd have a similar mixed bag, but nobody ever argues for running less because the Huskers have generally been running the correct amount.

I trust Taylor will be throwing on some third down situations and the Huskers will be running on others. That's the game of football.