Who are the Darkhorses of SMiss

I am I

So, know your opponent brought us Bret Smith.

who could potentially--if we're being vanilla--strike poses like Smith did last week.

Let's get to know the players of SMiss this week who could contribute to a near fall out of Husker Nation at home. Any ballers on their team?

There are lots of guys on this team that can make plays. Our receiving corps is absolutely stacked with talent but is unfortunately plagued with inexperience. Rickey Bradley (RS SR.) caught 7 passes for something like 175 yards last week. Granted it was against Texas State (there defense was sneaky good) but it is a sign of things to come. Our QB Allan Bridgford (transfer from Cal) looked very good last week. He's only been with the team a month which means he will only get better. Our OL play was nothing short of terrible last week. This unit is the most inexperienced on the team which is never good. I do believe, however, that they will be much better this week. From what I've read, NU's defense isn't really anything to write home about. Our defense is by far our strength and will be tested in this game. We have some big and experienced linebackers (Allen Howze 6'3" 235 Sr; Dylan Reda 6'3" 240 S) that I think will give NU some fits in the first half. If we get our running game going in this game and Bridgford has a little time to throw the ball, this game could be much closer then most people think it will be.

There are lots of guys on this team that can make plays. Our receiving corps is absolutely stacked with talent but is unfortunately plagued with inexperience. Rickey Bradley (RS SR.) caught 7 passes for something like 175 yards last week. Granted it was against Texas State (there defense was sneaky good) but it is a sign of things to come. Our QB Allan Bridgford (transfer from Cal) looked very good last week. He's only been with the team a month which means he will only get better. Our OL play was nothing short of terrible last week. This unit is the most inexperienced on the team which is never good. I do believe, however, that they will be much better this week. From what I've read, NU's defense isn't really anything to write home about. Our defense is by far our strength and will be tested in this game. We have some big and experienced linebackers (Allen Howze 6'3" 235 Sr; Dylan Reda 6'3" 240 S) that I think will give NU some fits in the first half. If we get our running game going in this game and Bridgford has a little time to throw the ball, this game could be much closer then most people think it will be.

Thanks for the summary. Are things bleak in Hattiesburg after the loss or are the fans still optimistic?

I think it's going to take at least a year or 2 to recover from last season for you guys.

Thanks for the summary. Are things bleak in Hattiesburg after the loss or are the fans still optimistic?

I think it's going to take at least a year or 2 to recover from last season for you guys.

Things are certainly optimistic in the Burg right now. Even after the loss to Texas (who, IMO, I think is a very good team) some very good things came out of the defeat. The fire and motivation that usually defines Southern Miss football was evident once again. However, I think you are right that it will take some time to recover from eLLLLLLLLLLLLoss's affect. Our guys played their hearts out Saturday night but could not overcome the avalanche of mistakes (3 fumbles lost on first 3 possessions; 1 more fumble in the 4th quarter and then 2 more INT's in the 4th). Monken will be preaching ball security to the team this week. I think we will come out much more confident this week. As for our fanbase, we lost a good many regular fans attending games. So if we don't win at least one of the next 3 away games, then I can see our attendance dipping to as low as 20k. This is coupled with the fact that we have the worst home schedule we maybe have ever had. The people that do know something about the program and football in general know that we are on our way back up.

Thanks for the summary. Are things bleak in Hattiesburg after the loss or are the fans still optimistic? I think it's going to take at least a year or 2 to recover from last season for you guys.
Things are certainly optimistic in the Burg right now. Even after the loss to Texas (who, IMO, I think is a very good team) some very good things came out of the defeat. The fire and motivation that usually defines Southern Miss football was evident once again. However, I think you are right that it will take some time to recover from eLLLLLLLLLLLLoss's affect. Our guys played their hearts out Saturday night but could not overcome the avalanche of mistakes (3 fumbles lost on first 3 possessions; 1 more fumble in the 4th quarter and then 2 more INT's in the 4th). Monken will be preaching ball security to the team this week. I think we will come out much more confident this week. As for our fanbase, we lost a good many regular fans attending games. So if we don't win at least one of the next 3 away games, then I can see our attendance dipping to as low as 20k. This is coupled with the fact that we have the worst home schedule we maybe have ever had. The people that do know something about the program and football in general know that we are on our way back up.

This game will be a route ---nothing to see here.

Thanks for the summary. Are things bleak in Hattiesburg after the loss or are the fans still optimistic? I think it's going to take at least a year or 2 to recover from last season for you guys.

I hope your players have the exact same mindset.

I hope your players have the exact same mindset.

No offense to Southern Miss (or you for that matter), but the way the Wyoming game played out was the worst case scenario for you guys. Your team might have been able to catch us off-guard if we would have beaten Wyoming by 35, but now? I would say the coaches will get our guys' attention, and I would expect a semi-beat down in this one.

You simply can't predict that with any kind of confidence after last week.

Unfortunately I was just thinking the same thing. Nebraska's going to have to show some big time improvement and if we don't even if we win then that UCLA game is going to look downright scary.