-*The "Compliments from Opposing Fans" Thread*-

Landlord

A little different but along the same lines I guess.

I recently bought a sports car that had a blown engine, the guy had it for one week, it blew up and was getting tickets for parking. He lived in Oakland, ANOTHER story.

I bought the car for 2K it looked worse than it was. I had originally offered 3500 and said after seeing it, I was not interested. He made an offer I took it. After getting it home from OAKLAND I realized it was not as bad as I thought, I called the kid and said I had originally budgeted for a certain amount, that if I was under that budget, I would make up the difference or something to help him out.

He said! Oh my gawd are you from Nebraska or something? I swear it happened. We are known as good people, and I am happy we keep getting these types of stories. For me that is what Nebraska football is about, doing things right, honest and above question.

Sorry, but I had to share it.

• Fire 1

Streaks broken and streaks extended

Just about every article reaping BYU's last-second win over Nebraska mentions that this loss is the first home-opener the Huskies have lost in 30 years. However, one most impressive streak is still going strong.

Saturday's game was the Huskers' 341st consecutive sellout. This streak goes all the way back to 1962. That's an NCAA record, by the way. It's also 96 games ahead of second-place Notre Dame.

I'm sporting a Nebraska flair because of how incredible Cornhusker fans were to my family all weekend.

At dinner on Friday night, the Nebraska fans in the restaurant got the BYU fans to stand up and sing the fight song; UNL fans cheered them on and said they loved the song, etc.
At the stadium, fans thanked my fam for coming to Lincoln, complimented Taysom Hill, BYU's jerseys, & just about everything else, and were just genuinely great hosts.
My cousin said there was a Husker fan behind him who was particularly furious and vocal about the no-call when the UNL punter was injured. My cousin (a lawyer who loves arguing) turned around and told the Husker fan that he thought he'd seen a Nebraska player push the BYU player into the punter. The Nebraska fan said something along the lines of "You know, now that I think about it, that seems accurate. Probably the right call, thanks" and immediately stopped complaining about the play. My cousin was shocked.
After the Hail Mary win, fans were congratulating my family on the win and thanking them for an incredible football game. Field security allowed BYU fans to take pictures on the field and the spot of the catch.
Anyway, my family was completely blown away by the entire Nebraska experience; I wish I could've made it to the game. Thanks for making them (& every BYU fan there by all accounts) feel welcome.
EDIT: I couldn't make it to Nebraska due to work/school demands, if that wasn't clear; just anecdotal accounts from my family members that did go.

The guy sitting next to me told me about his experience from the BYU game. Their fans would say to him "You guys don't understand what a win over a team like Nebraska means to us and our program. The class you and your fans has shown is by far the best we have ever experienced." Found that pretty telling.

Overall the South Alabama game ranks right at the top for me as far as game experiences have gone. Crowd died a little towards end but my section was really pretty solid. The 2012 Michigan game is still my fave, but this last weeks game was fantastic.

Side note: During our clapping for the Jaguars as they exited the field I saw two of them stop and chat with two very young little Husker fans, think they even signed something. Thought that was a pretty great moment, wish I caught which two players it was.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...