Rewatched Game- Defensive Thoughts

Warrior10

I am not worried, the D looks decent with the new crew aboard. Notice Bo did not have the torch and noose for the refs in the game. Yes, he was not happy on some calls by the refs but he channled the fire elsewhere. Some better do some research on other teams D had given up 600 yards, even the so called elites had their butt whipped up. This is not a rare thing.

Next game.

GO BIG RED!!!

Well, 7-5 isnt outta the question. Best case scenario, 9-3, reg season, provided they get their act together.

Friendly wager. Set the line at 8.5. If I win, you don't come back to HB.

I like this bet. I hope he takes it. We have too many doomsday fans as it is, one less would be great.

I am not worried, the D looks decent with the new crew aboard. Notice Bo did not have the torch and noose for the refs in the game. Yes, he was not happy on some calls by the refs but he channled the fire elsewhere. Some better do some research on other teams D had given up 600 yards, even the so called elites had their butt whipped up. This is not a rare thing.

Next game.

GO BIG RED!!!

A&M gave up 509 yards to Rice last weekend.

I doubt many people said that about Cosgrove. That guy was pure idiot and had never fielded a competent defense in his life. Bo and Co. have.

The thing that makes me a little nervous about this way of thinking is "Bo and Co." is no longer here. It's now Bo + some guys who have never fielded a competent defense.

Then what was it right off the bat when Bo came here? It wasn't a lot of big-name guys then either.

They don't have to be big name guys. They have to be the right guys. You're assuming we have the coaching staff to field a competent defense because we did it before with . . . guys who aren't here anymore.

Addison, it's perfectly acceptable to take out outliers/anomalies as a separate way to analyze data. If a running back runs 25 times a game for 100 yards, but one of those runs was for 75 yards, that means the other 24 runs netted only 25 yards total (slightly over a yard per play). So yes, an "average" includes all the data, but if you really look at the data (in my scenario) you see that the running back really struggled save one play.

There's nothing wrong with that analysis as long as you don't discount other forms of data. Hell, even professional statistical analysts look at data without outliers or pure averages. True averages can be very misleading.

So in other words it's fine to be very optimistic by the fact that the final 6 or so minutes of ridiculous nonsense is covering up a decent body of work by the defense (or the whole team for that matter) the other 54 minutes of the game, yes?

We didn't play lights out on defense at all all game except a brief time in the third. they ran on us at will the entire game and Smith doesn't throw that crummy pass in the endzone, or the hb/wr pass doesn't happen (both in great field position), are we really saying our D played well all game?

Since we keep bringing up McBride and defenses of years past, I looked up how many times each of our last 4 coaches gave up 35 or more in a game win or lose. I was surprised a little at the results. Here they are if anyone cares:

Osborne:

Oklahoma:35, 38, 45

Missouri:35, 38

Iowa St:37

UCLA:41

Oklahoma St:42

Florida State:41

Georgia Tech:45

Washington:36

Texas:37

25 seasons, 12 games. .48 per season

Solich:

Kansas St:40,49, 38

Colorado:62

Iowa St:36

Missouri:41

Miami:37

Penn St:40

6 seasons, 8 games. 1.33 per season

Callahan:

Texas Tech:70

Kansas St:45

Missouri:41, 41

Kansas 40, 76

Oklahoma St:41, 45

Texas A & M:36

Colorado:65

USC:49

Ball State:40

4 seasons, 12 games. 3 per season

Pelini:

Virginia Tech:35

Missouri:52

Texas Tech:37

Oklahoma:62

Kansas:35

Oklahoma St:41

Washington:38

Wisconsin:48,70

Michigan:45

UCLA:36

Ohio St:63

Georgia:45

5 seasons, 13 games. 2.6 per season

Probably useless information but it's a little slow at work so WTH.

That's nice info. Now, we could make it more relevant by comparing it to the average points scored by those teams total during each era, and that would provide a more relative correlation and give us a better understanding if Bo's defenses really are that bad.

I'm not gonna do it though.

Addison, it's perfectly acceptable to take out outliers/anomalies as a separate way to analyze data. If a running back runs 25 times a game for 100 yards, but one of those runs was for 75 yards, that means the other 24 runs netted only 25 yards total (slightly over a yard per play). So yes, an "average" includes all the data, but if you really look at the data (in my scenario) you see that the running back really struggled save one play.

There's nothing wrong with that analysis as long as you don't discount other forms of data. Hell, even professional statistical analysts look at data without outliers or pure averages. True averages can be very misleading.

So in other words it's fine to be very optimistic by the fact that the final 6 or so minutes of ridiculous nonsense is covering up a decent body of work by the defense (or the whole team for that matter) the other 54 minutes of the game, yes?

We didn't play lights out on defense at all all game except a brief time in the third. they ran on us at will the entire game and Smith doesn't throw that crummy pass in the endzone, or the hb/wr pass doesn't happen (both in great field position), are we really saying our D played well all game?

He didn't say "lights out". Unless my vision is bad, it says "decent body of work". But it sounds like you saw us playing some "lights out" defense for a brief time in the third.

Not sure where else to post this. Some extended highlights of the defense for those of us without BTN.

Some good stuff here and some good sets we saw in the second half. Anyone notice that once Smith ran for that long one up the middle we changed the way we defended the five wide set? Instead of our LB shifting with the RB, our outside DE (Either Moss or Gregory don't believe it was ever McMullen or Ankrah) shifted outside and they would guard the RB until he ran his drag pattern across to the MIKE? That really helped secure the middle of the field from a five wide set.

Where was the good body of work though? I saw individuals show good things at times throughout the game, but our D didn't play well as a unit all game in my eyes. I think we'll play a lot better come next week and hope we bring our A game come UCLA, but it doesn't mean I'm going to say our D played well for the first 3 quarters, THEN went crummy.

Not sure where else to post this. Some extended highlights of the defense for those of us without BTN.

Some good stuff here and some good sets we saw in the second half. Anyone notice that once Smith ran for that long one up the middle we changed the way we defended the five wide set? Instead of our LB shifting with the RB, our outside DE (Either Moss or Gregory don't believe it was ever McMullen or Ankrah) shifted outside and they would guard the RB until he ran his drag pattern across to the MIKE? That really helped secure the middle of the field from a five wide set.

Are you accusing our coaching staff of making defensive adjustments?

Next game.

GO BIG RED!!!

A&M gave up 509 yards to Rice last weekend.

Better than 602

Well, 7-5 isnt outta the question. Best case scenario, 9-3, reg season, provided they get their act together.

Friendly wager. Set the line at 8.5. If I win, you don't come back to HB.

Theres already so much riding on the season, do you really want to put that kind of pressure on the team?

Q, if he took that bet, with that same line, would you sign a petition to fire pelini if under?

Where was the good body of work though? I saw individuals show good things at times throughout the game, but our D didn't play well as a unit all game in my eyes. I think we'll play a lot better come next week and hope we bring our A game come UCLA, but it doesn't mean I'm going to say our D played well for the first 3 quarters, THEN went crummy.

pretty sure no one said that. Ive said they started to settle down and play better, and the staff made some adjustments that helped. It certainly wasnt the CCG all over again where the adjustments didnt help, they clearly settled down and played better. If the offense gets a 4th and 1 the score ends 44-21 and we only give up 450-500 yrds and 21pts, and everyone would be saying our defense really got settled in and didnt look too bad for its first time out.

When you consider how many people were playing for the first time

VV

McMullen

Gregory

Gerry

Banderas

Maurice

Collins

Along with guys playing new positions or have very very limited experience at their respective positions

Santos

Moss

Curry

Cooper

Jackson

Green

Siesay

Thats the whole damn defense. As Benning said thats the facts, not an excuse, thats a fact. 4 guys with game experience at their positions and we expected....?

...and our defense gave up 28 plays of 10 yards or longer (good for dead last in the nation). That spanned far more than the last 5 minutes.

And they gave up a school record 35 first downs over the course of the game.

In spite of all that, we held them to 21 points until the team lost focus/melt down (last 5 minutes) whatever excuse we want to use. Fact is, if you dont look at the numbers (just for a second) and watch how the game unfolds it tells a different story than just strictly looking at the numbers, which i agree are unacceptable. The D did start to improve over the course of the game and the new players started to settle down as adjusments were made. It was the last 5 minutes that it all went haywire when we should have and could have closed the game out on offense THREE TIMES

I see both sides of the arguement it depends on how you look at it and if you have trust in the coaches/players to get better or not. This defense has monster potential. Weve always known the season depends on how fast they grow up. That hasnt changed.

ok go back to dissecting the numbers.

1 tackle for a loss.

I've never even heard of such a thing.