Shatel: Something still amiss with Husker defense

Goal-line

Damon Benning hinted that Bo is holding back on the defense. Like Bo was being sly like a fox. He was basing that on things he saw as the sideline reporter last Saturday. I hope we will see changes to the defense for the UCLA game as it seems as though they were the team to create the template to defeat Bo's defensive scheme that many teams have used since then. If true we will see the same stuff this Saturday against S Miss. Then the surprise for UCLA. The only support for this is the fact Bo closed practice to the media and former players along with the hint from Benning. I can dream can't I?

You hold back on 56-14 wins

You dont hold back on 3 point wins JMO

What gets me is people read the "opinions" of sports writers who have zero coaching experience and actually think they have all the answers.

I read them. I have 42 years of coaching experience in 4 different sports, from little league, high school to college. I have also officiated various sporting events. I do not have all the answers. However, one does not have to have those credentials to to have an astute awareness of the major problems on this current football team. It all comes down to coaching. After coaching, recruiting and player development are the main ingredients. To add to that, I have been a Husker supporter for the major portion of my life and I am 69 years old. Until we have better coaching for the kids, we will ultimately have the same results. We have not seen the last of the defense giving up 600 yards to an opponent. Pelini says the defense can be fixed. How many times has he said that? To date, I have not seen a change or the fixes.

bingo.gif

Damon Benning hinted that Bo is holding back on the defense. Like Bo was being sly like a fox. He was basing that on things he saw as the sideline reporter last Saturday. I hope we will see changes to the defense for the UCLA game as it seems as though they were the team to create the template to defeat Bo's defensive scheme that many teams have used since then. If true we will see the same stuff this Saturday against S Miss. Then the surprise for UCLA. The only support for this is the fact Bo closed practice to the media and former players along with the hint from Benning. I can dream can't I?

You hold back on 56-14 wins

You dont hold back on 3 point wins JMO

I think this is being blown out of proportion. They were up 31 - 14 in the third quarter and they let up. It's a lesson learned. They didn't let up on a 3 point win. They let up which caused the 3 point win.

• Fire 2

I don't think he was holding back on purpose. I think the game plan was to be vanilla on offense and defense. I think he wanted to see his defense respond when playing some of the basic things against a spread team. What BP didn't anticipate was that spread team playing as well as they did. Yeah, I think he took the team lightly. Which is a problem with BP's teams. Give Wyoming some credit, they played well. Smith put the ball into some pretty tight windows. For the most part the coverage was good and there was little YAC after the catch on most receptions. After the adjustments to help the running game they only had about 60 yards of rushing. They picked up about 160 of their yards in the first 1 1/2 quarters.

Watch the game again and then watch the little blurb by Pelini after the game before he goes to the locker room. Its a different emotional state than you would expect to see after a close win. He was very calm and still very sure of his team. He gives Wyoming credit and says you will see a big jump in play from this week to the next.

But I also agree when listening to Benning you get the feeling that he thinks BP knows something that we don't.

This defense will get better as the season progresses. It may not be enough for most fans, but it will get better.

What gets me is people read the "opinions" of sports writers who have zero coaching experience and actually think they have all the answers.

I read them. I have 42 years of coaching experience in 4 different sports, from little league, high school to college. I have also officiated various sporting events. I do not have all the answers. However, one does not have to have those credentials to to have an astute awareness of the major problems on this current football team. It all comes down to coaching. After coaching, recruiting and player development are the main ingredients. To add to that, I have been a Husker supporter for the major portion of my life and I am 69 years old. Until we have better coaching for the kids, we will ultimately have the same results. We have not seen the last of the defense giving up 600 yards to an opponent. Pelini says the defense can be fixed. How many times has he said that? To date, I have not seen a change or the fixes.

Well, I have coached HS football for 23 years and I am not sure the coaching is the whole problem. I think Nebraska as a team has a lot of little problems that will get fixed with time.

1. The coaches are talented, but there is some inexperience.

2. The defense is talented, but very young.

3. The scheme on defense is difficult, but not too difficult to learn it will take time.

4. As I said in an earlier post, I think Pelini takes some teams lightly. When practicing a coach would never say that, but you can get that feeling from their body language, maybe the coach is a little less intense that week etc. Players can pick up on that and in tern take a team lightly. TO was very good at building a team up to be a juggernaut even if they were 1-6 coming into Lincoln.

I guess if you want to call all of those things coaching problems than you can. You or I can bitch about needing more seasoned coaches etc., but it not going to happen, and its not going to happen in the middle of the season.

Everyone was complaining about hiring a golf coach as the receiver's coach. No one is complaining now, because he is way better than we expected.

Callahan had plenty of seasoned coaches on his staff it didn't seem to help. Phil Elmassion sp had coached in about 15 different places and I wouldn't trade him for anyone.

What BP didn't anticipate was that spread team playing as well as they did.

I think what Pelini didn't anticipate was Martinez committing two turnovers, which might be the most anticipatible thing in football. I'm being sarcastic of course, but this offense needs to hum early and often. The defense had severe talent issues the past two seasons (which is on Pelini) and early indications show improvement in talent level.

So, was 2008-2010 a fluke?

I don't think he was holding back on purpose. I think the game plan was to be vanilla on offense and defense. I think he wanted to see his defense respond when playing some of the basic things against a spread team. What BP didn't anticipate was that spread team playing as well as they did. Yeah, I think he took the team lightly. Which is a problem with BP's teams. Give Wyoming some credit, they played well. Smith put the ball into some pretty tight windows. For the most part the coverage was good and there was little YAC after the catch on most receptions. After the adjustments to help the running game they only had about 60 yards of rushing. They picked up about 160 of their yards in the first 1 1/2 quarters.

Watch the game again and then watch the little blurb by Pelini after the game before he goes to the locker room. Its a different emotional state than you would expect to see after a close win. He was very calm and still very sure of his team. He gives Wyoming credit and says you will see a big jump in play from this week to the next.

But I also agree when listening to Benning you get the feeling that he thinks BP knows something that we don't.

This defense will get better as the season progresses. It may not be enough for most fans, but it will get better.

Bo said after the game he might have over-simplified to let the new guys get up to speed. So, in that regard, he "held back". But if you were even half paying attention to how many blitzes we ran you would know that we threw a lot of stuff at them.