Shatel: Something still amiss with Husker defense

Goal-line

"What's all the fuss? Bo Pelini was hired to make everyone forget about Kevin Cosgrove.

It's shocking to see Pelini's defenses own four of the top 10 highest yardage totals allowed in Nebraska history. Still seems crazy to me for people to mention Pelini and Cosgrove in the same sentence. Never would have thought that was possible.

Bo knows defense. He can coach defense. I've seen it. You've seen it.

People thought Cosgrove was in over his head. I don't believe Bo is in over his head.

But something's gone awry in the last year. All four of those Blackshirt meltdowns have occurred since the UCLA game last September. There was good defense played last year. But these extreme gashes. What gives?

Is Pelini spending too much time being head coach? Should he have hired a more experienced coordinator? Does his scheme require monster defensive tackles? Does he have those now?

Execution. Adjustments. Personnel. Scheme. No matter how you slice it, it comes back to coaching."

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130902/HUSKERS/130909703

I could not possibly agree more!

• Fire 3

Ok here's the deal. I didnt get home till real late Saturday night. When I did, I rewatched the game the first time. Stayed up till 4 am doing so. Didnt get out of bed till noon. Rewatched the game again quickly while gettin dressed and sippin coffee. Had stuff to do all day. Was up till 11 or so finishin up a car. Monday, was up early to go race all day. Didnt get home and settle till 8 or so last night. Had a few minutes on the board. Today was busy at work. Very little down time. NOW HOW IN THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO GET CAUGHT UP HERE IF FOLKS KEEP STARTING NEW THREADS ABOUT THE SAME DARN STUFF. I'M STILL ON THE FIRST PAGE AND HAVE TWO PAGES TO GO.

"What's all the fuss? Bo Pelini was hired to make everyone forget about Kevin Cosgrove.

It's shocking to see Pelini's defenses own four of the top 10 highest yardage totals allowed in Nebraska history. Still seems crazy to me for people to mention Pelini and Cosgrove in the same sentence. Never would have thought that was possible.

Bo knows defense. He can coach defense. I've seen it. You've seen it.

People thought Cosgrove was in over his head. I don't believe Bo is in over his head.

But something's gone awry in the last year. All four of those Blackshirt meltdowns have occurred since the UCLA game last September. There was good defense played last year. But these extreme gashes. What gives?

Is Pelini spending too much time being head coach? Should he have hired a more experienced coordinator? Does his scheme require monster defensive tackles? Does he have those now?

Execution. Adjustments. Personnel. Scheme. No matter how you slice it, it comes back to coaching."

http://www.omaha.com...SKERS/130909703

I could not possibly agree more!

This Shatel guy, he's good...

I know this isn't a popular subject, but I truly think the next logical step in the evolution of Pelini as a head coach is letting a proven coordinator take over the reins on defense. Let Bo concentrate on being a head coach.

Granted, it isn't a given it would be a quick-fix cure-all for the defensive problems, it would be a 1-3 year project to get the defense performing at an adequate level, I suspect. And it doesn't mean Bo has to be completely hands-off in matters pertaining to defensive game-planning and play-calling. I'm sure a lot of those things would still be by committee. I've just never been a huge fan of coaches that micromanage like that in general, and yes, I realize there are great exceptions that can be pointed out (Osborne for instance). But they're exceptions for a reason.

• Fire 2

I know this isn't a popular subject, but I truly think the next logical step in the evolution of Pelini as a head coach is letting a proven coordinator take over the reins on defense. Let Bo concentrate on being a head coach.

Granted, it isn't a given that would be a quick-fix cure-all for the defensive problems, it would be a 1-3 year project to get the defense performing at an adequate level, I suspect. And it doesn't mean Bo has to be completely hands-off in matters pertaining to defensive game-planning and play-calling. I'm sure a lot of those things would still be by committee. I've just never been a huge fan of coaches that micromanage like that in general, and yes, I realize there are great exceptions that can be pointed out (Osborne for instance). But they're exceptions for a reason.

Absolutely correct!

Did you not see USC's defense the past few years that he was there?

Monte Kiffin without Lane Kiffin >>>Monte Kiffin with Lane Kiffin. See Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Nebraska, etc.

(Actually, anything without Lane Kiffin >>>anything with Lane Kiffin)

Anyhow, I remember Monte Kiffin is with the Cowboys now.

that shatel is an astute fellow, he should come write for huskerboard.

anyway, it still comes down to recruiting, which bo is getting better at. it is a problem that takes 2-3 years to recognize and 2-3 years to fix. we are seeing it get fixed right before our eyes. everyone just needs to calm down and realize that the only way we get ahead is with patience. we cannot have the rapid turnaround an sec team might be afforded.

anyway, it still comes down to recruiting, which bo is getting better at. it is a problem that takes 2-3 years to recognize and 2-3 years to fix. we are seeing it get fixed right before our eyes. everyone just needs to calm down and realize that the only way we get ahead is with patience. we cannot have the rapid turnaround an sec team might be afforded.

See Auburn 2010, National Champions to 8-5, to 3-9. I'll take consistency over being a one and done any day.

• Fire 2

See Auburn 2010, National Champions to 8-5, to 3-9. I'll take consistency over being a one and done any day.

exactly. we just do not know how good we have it and it appears we are still on the upswing.