Shatel: Something still amiss with Husker defense

Goal-line

that shatel is an astute fellow, he should come write for huskerboard. anyway, it still comes down to recruiting, which bo is getting better at. it is a problem that takes 2-3 years to recognize and 2-3 years to fix. we are seeing it get fixed right before our eyes. everyone just needs to calm down and realize that the only way we get ahead is with patience. we cannot have the rapid turnaround an sec team might be afforded.
See Auburn 2010, National Champions to 8-5, to 3-9. I'll take consistency over being a one and done any day.
exactly. we just do not know how good we have it and it appears we are still on the upswing.

What is it that you are smoking? We are on an "Upswing?" Top 25 games of "the worst offensive yards given up to the opponents" in the history of Husker football and Bo owns 11 of them. Pelini's defenses own four of the top 10 highest yardage totals allowed in Nebraska history. If you think that is an "upswing," you are one delusional fellow.

• Fire 2
that shatel is an astute fellow, he should come write for huskerboard. anyway, it still comes down to recruiting, which bo is getting better at. it is a problem that takes 2-3 years to recognize and 2-3 years to fix. we are seeing it get fixed right before our eyes. everyone just needs to calm down and realize that the only way we get ahead is with patience. we cannot have the rapid turnaround an sec team might be afforded.
See Auburn 2010, National Champions to 8-5, to 3-9. I'll take consistency over being a one and done any day.
exactly. we just do not know how good we have it and it appears we are still on the upswing.

What is it that you are smoking? We are on an "Upswing?" Top 25 games of "the worst offensive yards given up to the opponents" in the history of Husker football and Bo owns 11 of them. Pelini's defenses own four of the top 10 highest yardage totals allowed in Nebraska history. If you think that is an "upswing," you are one delusional fellow.

ALtbSqT.gif

So Shatel wrote down what every Husker fan I know has been discussing for 2 years. And he adds nothing to the discussion. Good job, Tom.

It used to be that we read the articles of our local sports guys because they were the "ones in the know."

Today, the media troll social media to guide their work. You see it in print, you hear it on the radio, you see it on TV. So much of what they produce stems from social media because regurgitating what fans are already thinking is an easy way to seem correct.

So Shatel wrote down what every Husker fan I know has been discussing for 2 years. And he adds nothing to the discussion. Good job, Tom.

It used to be that we read the articles of our local sports guys because they were the "ones in the know."

Today, the media troll social media to guide their work. You see it in print, you hear it on the radio, you see it on TV. So much of what they produce stems from social media because regurgitating what fans are already thinking is an easy way to seem correct.

If you have been watching Husker football the past four games, you do not have to have social media to be correct. The results speak for themselves.

That's a good point. It's also a good way to be popular. Fans like reading stuff they agree with. The best way to be sure they'll agree with your column is to write what you know them to be thinking.

I cannot believe you honestly think this. Upswing? From where...are you still going back to Cally as your basis, or the 2009, 2010 seasons? Are we better than 2009? Better than 2010? We have 3-4 of the most embarrassing games in Husker history smashed into the last 12 or so games. How is that upswing? What is progressing? Did you think we looked better offensively? Defensively? Coaching? Turnovers? Maybe you're going down to position. QB, did Taylor look better? WR? Kicking? DT? Team GPA? There it is, our one upswing. Phew, I was having a tough time figuring out this upswing.

Can't wait to hear the "And you guys thought I forgot how to coach defense" statement again this year...

• Fire 1

I know this isn't a popular subject, but I truly think the next logical step in the evolution of Pelini as a head coach is letting a proven coordinator take over the reins on defense. Let Bo concentrate on being a head coach.

Granted, it isn't a given it would be a quick-fix cure-all for the defensive problems, it would be a 1-3 year project to get the defense performing at an adequate level, I suspect. And it doesn't mean Bo has to be completely hands-off in matters pertaining to defensive game-planning and play-calling. I'm sure a lot of those things would still be by committee. I've just never been a huge fan of coaches that micromanage like that in general, and yes, I realize there are great exceptions that can be pointed out (Osborne for instance). But they're exceptions for a reason.

It is popular with me.

Did you not see USC's defense the past few years that he was there?

Monte Kiffin without Lane Kiffin >>>Monte Kiffin with Lane Kiffin. See Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Nebraska, etc.

(Actually, anything without Lane Kiffin >>>anything with Lane Kiffin)

Anyhow, I remember Monte Kiffin is with the Cowboys now.

I wish McBride could come in and finish this year as DC. Then a veteran DC could be hired.

I cannot believe you honestly think this. Upswing? From where...are you still going back to Cally as your basis, or the 2009, 2010 seasons? Are we better than 2009? Better than 2010? We have 3-4 of the most embarrassing games in Husker history smashed into the last 12 or so games. How is that upswing? What is progressing? Did you think we looked better offensively? Defensively? Coaching? Turnovers? Maybe you're going down to position. QB, did Taylor look better? WR? Kicking? DT? Team GPA? There it is, our one upswing. Phew, I was having a tough time figuring out this upswing.

Can't wait to hear the "And you guys thought I forgot how to coach defense" statement again this year...

I think you guys are misunderstanding. We are in an upswing ... for yards allowed.