Tommy Armstrong

The coaches have been on record explaining that if Taylor were to go down, who replaces him would depend on context of the situation.

If it were in the middle of a game, you'd likely see Ron get the nod. More experience, more knowledge, more savvy - in a crisis situation you turn to what you can lean on.

However, if we knew Taylor was going to be out for some time, you'd likely see Armstrong in there, given ample time to prepare and gameplan around him.

Both Stanton and Armstrong have the it factor when it comes to Leadership at the QB spot according to all that has been written about them. I really feel like the QB battle won't be truly decided until a couple of games into the '14 season after we see who shines under the lights.

Man I certainly hope not. QB competition in games hasn't worked out in recent years.... example: USC this year, Texas, Notre Dame a couple years ago, Michigan State, Zac Lee and Cody Green

Qb competitions are a no likey for me in season as well. You get a deal where each is trying to win the job in actual meaningful games and a mindset of trying to do too much to impress and such instead of playing within the plan. Let the guys have at it in spring and fall, and make a decision before the first game. Let that guy play that first game. If he struggles, so be it. But he earned the spot in practice. The other guy needs to step up the next week. What Michigan St is doing is just ridiculous. They are mentally destroying all them guys. And I still blame Cody Green's obvious lack of psychological development on the coaches and constant bullsh#t situations they put him in, and then pull him back out when he couldn't overcome something that Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would struggle with.

I also don't like the in season QB rotation, but just to play a bit of devil's advocate: Northwestern has very successfully rotated 2 QB's for more than 1 season now.

Both Stanton and Armstrong have the it factor when it comes to Leadership at the QB spot according to all that has been written about them. I really feel like the QB battle won't be truly decided until a couple of games into the '14 season after we see who shines under the lights.

Man I certainly hope not. QB competition in games hasn't worked out in recent years.... example: USC this year, Texas, Notre Dame a couple years ago, Michigan State, Zac Lee and Cody Green

Qb competitions are a no likey for me in season as well. You get a deal where each is trying to win the job in actual meaningful games and a mindset of trying to do too much to impress and such instead of playing within the plan. Let the guys have at it in spring and fall, and make a decision before the first game. Let that guy play that first game. If he struggles, so be it. But he earned the spot in practice. The other guy needs to step up the next week. What Michigan St is doing is just ridiculous. They are mentally destroying all them guys. And I still blame Cody Green's obvious lack of psychological development on the coaches and constant bullsh#t situations they put him in, and then pull him back out when he couldn't overcome something that Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would struggle with.

I also don't like the in season QB rotation, but just to play a bit of devil's advocate: Northwestern has very successfully rotated 2 QB's for more than 1 season now.

I have to say. When they platooned RKIII and TA this weekend they really complemented each other very well. Of course I would have liked to see TA throw the ball some. I think both QBs would be willing to play in a rotation if it came to it, but let's all hope it doesn't. As much as TM has his downfalls, he gives us the best chance to win by far right now.

I have to say. When they platooned RKIII and TA this weekend they really complemented each other very well. Of course I would have liked to see TA throw the ball some. I think both QBs would be willing to play in a rotation if it came to it, but let's all hope it doesn't. As much as TM has his downfalls, he gives us the best chance to win by far right now.

I'm not sure if maybe you misunderstood, but we're talking about QB in future years when TM is gone.

A future offense of Tommy Armstrong, Imani Cross, Terrell Newby, Cethan Carter, Kenny Bell (he's only a Junior!), Jamal Turner, Jordan Westerkamp, Alonzo Moore... who am I missing? Taariq? Adam Taylor?

If we have ANY kind of O Line at all, this is a terrifying offense next year. And most of those guys are here two more years.

A future offense of Tommy Armstrong, Imani Cross, Terrell Newby, Cethan Carter, Kenny Bell (he's only a Junior!), Jamal Turner, Jordan Westerkamp, Alonzo Moore... who am I missing? Taariq? Adam Taylor?

If we have ANY kind of O Line at all, this is a terrifying offense next year. And most of those guys are here two more years.

Abdullah

• Fire 1

I see exactly what you guys mean. Tommy Armstrong is easily my favorite player on Nebraska's team. He had a pretty good debut. I too was wanting to see him just throw one pass, but his rushing stats (4 carries, 23 yards) were pretty good. He certainly looks like a Dr. Tom Osborne style QB to me! It's going to be an exciting year for Nebraska this year.

Abdullah

6Fz9rEG.gif

It is pretty crazy to look back at the main skill guys from LAST year and most of them will still be here NEXT year. Martinez and Enunwa will be gone - plus B. Cotton and Reed but they didn't put up great stats (although I really think missing Cotton's blocking is our biggest offensive issue so far). Obviously Martinez will be a big loss but the bulk of our skill players will be together for three straight years. That is incredible.

Now, if they young defenders who've showed some promise so far can turn into play-makers like that ...

I'm a little concerned that Armstrong is third string coming in after Kellogg came in and was allowed to throw. It might be nothing more than Kellogg being a walk-on senior and Armstrong being a redshirt freshman coming off surgery. However, it does seem odd. I do wonder who gets the nod if something were to happen to Martinez? I still remember how good Dailey looked playing mop up duty behind Lord and how that panned out. It seems like so long ago I felt very good about our chances with a back up QB.

Has a lot to do with his knee injury. Lost a lot of valuable reps and time because of it, which obviously hinders his in-game adjustment ability.

Both of them are very capable, but if we lost Taylor for a significant portion of time, I think the staff would go with TA. A game or two? RK3, is my guess.