An Outsider's Perspective on this game and the direction of Nebraska football

I agree that major changes need to be made. It's the same sh#t every year. I love Bo, but these terrible performances have become the new normal and it simply isn't acceptable.

I think the most alarming part is how your defense over the course of Bo's tenure improved for the first few years, but has degraded horrendously since then. That's really the killer.

Agreed. This is the new normal and that's not cutting it. 6 years is a long time.

I didn't even realize it had been 6 years. I'm pretty certain that's enough time to rebuild Nebraska football from the Callahan accident.

I hadn't felt that way until the second half today. I don't know how I feel about firing Bo right NOW, but he needs to make changes to how he uses his players on both sides of the ball, or he is as good as gone.

That third quarter was a killer. I was so excited to see how well Nebraska was playing in the first half... but a third quarter like that is a killer... not just to that game by itself...but to team morale. I mean it's a true poison...you get ahead so far and then collapse. That gets in the heads of the kids out there... just ask Texas A&M from two years ago.

Good post. The problem isn't a lack of talent, it's a coaching issue. And if Bo can't get it done in Year 6, then it's time to move on.

Thanks, and exactly.

I have been a supporter of Pelini since day one. The OP said it best, this game is a microcosm of the Pelini era at Nebraska. Penalties, late in lining up, terrible tackling are all discipline problems. Not to mention the highly questionable shift in play calling that makes me wonder if Beck wasn't directed to change after the lead and if he, in turn, directed Martinez to not take opportunities in scrambles. My head is out of the sand and I am firmly taking a running leap off of the Bo Pelini bandwagon. That being said...

He has to do some serious soul searching this off season. I say that because the B1G is not a good conference and he will still win 10 games this year. I realize the problems but that UCLA team would dominate the Big Ten.

With this schedule, believing Pelini is going anywhere is a fool's hope.

• Fire 1

Agreed . This was it for me. He better at least fire JP, but he wont, so its his own damn fault for being loyal to his little buddy grad assistant

Don't let the offense off so easy. They moved the ball at times, but had one scoring drive that was longer than about 30 yards. Beck abandoned the run right when we needed it the most. Half of that third quarter implosion lays at the offense's feet.

• Fire 1

This game today is a pretty good representative for Bo Pelini's tenure at Nebraska. It started off well and Nebraska looked really good...and the improvement on defense was amazing. Then everything fell apart.

This metaphor has got to be the most accurate I've ever heard relating to Nebraska football. The game is a perfect representation of what Nebraska has been the last 3 years.

I think the most alarming part is how your defense over the course of Bo's tenure improved for the first few years, but has degraded horrendously since then. That's really the killer.

It really is. Bo has fielded some pretty amazing defenses, so it's absolutely mind boggling that our defense has become so terrible. A classic Pelini defense with a decent offense would win championships.

Good post. It is not a knee jerk reaction. It is looking at the totality of the products he has put on the field. Whether the D was horrific and O was great or vice versa, the normal trait is a blow out loss, loos to a team we shouldn't and a complete lack of discipline ie fumbles, tackles, penalties etc...... As a person, Bo seems to be a great guy. He coaches character over wins, but as a coach he is lacking. He was inexperienced when he took the job and hired even less experienced staff.

Say what ypu want, but it appears that the loss of Sanders, Carl and Eckler have truly negatively impacted this program.

Hate to compare Bo to Dabo, BUT Dabo runs a great program, develops character, BUT hired highly experienced staff. Look at their resumes and see who you would rather have...... The difference, IMO, is the staff. Please don't give me the recruiting hotbed crap. Clemson has never been one of the top 10 spots for this area.