Deadspin just dropped a bomb - "fu fans"

Saunders

Like Enhance said earlier, if Bo wants to shop around, that is his right. He doesn't need to let anyone know. I have done it plenty of times and haven't even told my wife about some of them.

I agree. But if Bo did shop around and I suspect he sorta did, the best thing he can do for himself is to come clean. This is a PR issue (well, nightmare) for him right now. It isn't looking good when he's maintaining denials and nobody's really having it.

What's so hard about saying, "I've had some issues in the past here and checked out some other openings, but it's all in the past and I'm here now, and here to stay"?

frankly, i do not think that would go over well. the rabid anti-bo crowd would just have another dig: that he lacks loyalty. it would be another issue to feign indignation at. but, i think by just his demeanor he was clearly lying.

• Fire 1

Like Enhance said earlier, if Bo wants to shop around, that is his right. He doesn't need to let anyone know. I have done it plenty of times and haven't even told my wife about some of them.

I agree. But if Bo did shop around and I suspect he sorta did, the best thing he can do for himself is to come clean. This is a PR issue (well, nightmare) for him right now. It isn't looking good when he's maintaining denials and nobody's really having it.

What's so hard about saying, "I've had some issues in the past here and checked out some other openings, but it's all in the past and I'm here now, and here to stay"?

frankly, i do not think that would go over well. the rabid anti-bo crowd would just have another dig: that he lacks loyalty. it would be another issue to feign indignation at. but, i think by just his demeanor he was clearly lying.

That would be awful if he came out and said he was looking to jump ship at one point - not only for recruiting, but for the perception it would give fans as well. That would be awful.

• Fire 1

That's true, but if he did, and it's known -- and it sorta seems that way -- then what can he do? He's just going to look really, really bad. At this point Bo really needs to get out wayyyyy in front of everything.

i agree, it is a tough situation. but i think you have to go with the lie. the lie is comforting for everyone and that is what everyone needs right now, comfort.

• Fire 1

That's true, but if he did, and it's known -- and it sorta seems that way -- then what can he do? He's just going to look really, really bad. At this point Bo really needs to get out wayyyyy in front of everything.

i agree, it is a tough situation. but i think you have to go with the lie. the lie is comforting for everyone and that is what everyone needs right now, comfort.

Uh, Bo Pelini was pursued by most of those teams. Not the other way around. He did show significant interest in a couple... At one point I think everyone thought he was as good as gone..

• Fire 1

Uh, Bo Pelini was pursued by most of those teams.

i am confused. did he pursue any other job?

He definitely wanted the Ohio State and Florida jobs...

did he pursue them? anyway, my point was just that if he did pursue other jobs, it would be ill-advised for him to admit that. but he is probably doing a mental inventory of who he told and if they had any recording devices on them.

• Fire 1

Uh, Bo Pelini was pursued by most of those teams.

i am confused. did he pursue any other job?

He definitely wanted the Ohio State and Florida jobs...

did he pursue them? anyway, my point was just that if he did pursue other jobs, it would be ill-advised for him to admit that. but he is probably doing a mental inventory of who he told and if they had any recording devices on them.

I would say that he went out of his way to try and get those jobs, yes.

It's also hard to tell because Bo thought he was going to be fired at one point or another and was putting feelers out to see how much interest there was in him. This is not to be confused with him actively pursuing another job.

He also has been contacted by NFL teams for coordinator positions but has turned those down.

• Fire 1

EZ-E actually RT something that is very accurate. Bo Pelini will go to his first choice school (if he should be fired), while Nebraska will not even come close to getting their first choice at HC. Bo is regarded pretty well in the CFB community. I think the least of teams that he supposedly pursued shows some decent quality.

• Fire 1

Ehhhhhh, those are some fine distinctions that are going to be hard to explain away if he leaves it open to further "revelations" coming out that will require even more clarification from him.

Honesty is the best policy.

The entire thing up today (conference call / post practice), with the muted lack of a big showy media presentation and lack of further words from the higher ups, it's a little weird. Not what I expected. Maybe the coming days will change that.

• Fire 1

Ehhhhhh, those are some fine distinctions that are going to be hard to explain away if he leaves it open to further "revelations" coming out that will require even more clarification from him.

The entire thing up today (conference call / post practice), with the muted lack of a big showy media presentation and lack of further words from the higher ups, it's a little weird. Not what I expected. Maybe the coming days will change that.

As long as he didn't abuse anyone or break the law, he'll be good. Great graduation rate, high GPA, clean program, contrary to popular belief, he wins games... and a lot of schools think if he was in a better recruiting spot he'd do well there.

He'll get his first choice, almost assuredly. Outside of Nebraska fans, at least from my conversations with Oregon fans, they don't think its that big of a deal. They think whoever leaked it is a prick trying to get him fired for having a bad game.

• Fire 1

This from ESPN.

"The coach said he's never pursued other jobs since taking this position in December 2007.

"I've had opportunities to leave Nebraska, so I obviously enjoy it here," he said. "My family enjoys it here."

He suggested in the leaked audio he'd soon leave Nebraska, but on Tuesday he disputed the suggestion that he's unhappy at the school.

"If that was the case," he said, "I wouldn't be here anymore, because I've had opportunities to leave."

• Fire 1

I genuinely believe that Bo wants to be here. I think the expectations are very high for him and everyday is a challenge. There's a lot of pressure involved so I feel for him. With that said... There really is no place like Nebraska. If we have a great year (like finish 11-1 heading into the B1G title game,) I can't see him leaving for another school one way or the other. He made a mistake 2 years ago and you can tell he's sorry just by watching videos from yesterday. Most fans ought to be forgiving. At first I wanted Bo fired, I was pissed but now I understand how he felt back then. I appreciate his passion his energy. I could do without all the cursing though. Here's hoping he makes changes for the betterment of the team and we win convincingly once we head into conference play.

• Fire 1

College coaches checking out other opportunities is an absolute given and done almost completely behind the scenes.

• Fire 1