Deadspin just dropped a bomb - "fu fans"

Saunders

1) I don't think Bo would have any problem finding a BCS head coaching job. Comparing him to Petrino is ridiculous.

2) Is your argument so weak that you feel the need to augment his salary 25 percent?

At a bottom dweller Big East team maybe

2.875 million with a potential for 1 million in bonuses. Getting to the B1G championship gets him pretty close to 3.5. - and that was 2012 Salary.

Close is only good in horseshoes and hand grenades. It's OK, I know you were wrong on both counts.

And you're just looking for something to argue about. No worries, I was off around 250k...that's about what Bo will be making as an assistant to Carl shortly :)

• Fire 3

I don't really care if Bo goes but I could also say that he's run a tighter ship than Tom, hasn't let us become known as a thuggish, win-at-all-cost program like Tom did. I still love Tom, just pointing out that the good old days weren't as good folks like to remember and Bo has strengths to go with his faults.

Blasphemy! haha - waiting for you to get crucified for this post in 5, 4, 3...

I think he's absolutely correct on this...if you're not around a lot of Nebraska fans...it is how people outside the fanbase see us. I remember chatting with people about college football in the late nineties here on the east coast about our dominant teams in the mid nineties and they all said that same thing..."Thug U"...always mentioned L. Phillips and how TO handled him and C. Peter and his fiasco. Even today people will bring that up in discussion about college football and Nebraska.

It's sad, but I think he's absolutely remembered that way by people outside of the NU fanbase.

I think he is correct as well. I don't live in Nebraska so I hear it. But it's not something that is usually taken well on this board (I've said it before and taken the beating that followed).

How many years out of 25 did Nebraska have this reputation? I know it got out of hand in 94 and early 95, but I don't remember us having a criminal reputation other than that. And I don't think TO handled it that well but the win at all costs claims were overblown, I think.

It was mainly late 90's. We certainly don't have it anymore, but I do hear quite frequently that we had to go criminal to win. Even today when you talk to outsiders about those 90's teams, they'll bring up the incidents. It's not different than Florida's run, USC's run, or Alabama's today. You're a high profile team when you're winning like that, so any incident becomes a high profile incident. We just had some pretty rough ones there for a while.

Maybe this was mentioned - Pelini just had a conference call with reporters within the last hour and apologized to fans. Pelini says it happened in a private setting in a frustrating moment. He says he hopes fans understand the situation regarding it because everybody says things they regret behind closed doors.

Maybe this was mentioned - Pelini just had a conference call with reporters within the last hour and apologized to fans. Pelini says it happened in a private setting in a frustrating moment. He says he hopes fans understand the situation regarding it because everybody says things they regret behind closed doors.

That's the way I saw it within 5 minutes of hearing the audio.

Interesting bit from Sip's article:

I've had more than a few run-ins with Pelini. There is a common thread: His anger is always about something I wrote or said about a player. It is never about him. He has his players' backs with more tenacity and passion than any coach I've ever known.

Of course he was angry fans left early. Of course he had his QB's back.

But somebody wanted to nail the head coach. They did it. The dirtball also hammered the program. The implications will last beyond the Pelini era. Coaches will forever look over their shoulder for this type of sleaze. Hope it all was worth it.

• Fire 1

I laughed when he said that the players are realists. :lol:

I've had more than a few run-ins with Pelini. There is a common thread: His anger is always about something I wrote or said about a player. It is never about him. He has his players' backs with more tenacity and passion than any coach I've ever known.

But somebody wanted to nail the head coach. They did it. The dirtball also hammered the program. The implications will last beyond the Pelini era. Coaches will forever look over their shoulder for this type of sleaze. Hope it all was worth it.

Exactly, what kind of big name coach or any self-respecting coach for that matter, will want to come here now? Look what we did to a guy that brought us back from the depths of college football. The piece of sh#t who leaked this not only hurt Bo, but also our program for the future if Bo is let go.

• Fire 1

Everyone regrets that their private statements get made public, but that's different than regretting what they said. You say stuff behind closed doors that you mean. I don't care that he hates the fans, I'm sure lots of coaches are incredibly frustrated by their fan base. I care that two years ago he intended to leave for what he considered a bigger and better job. If he had been immensely successful over the last two years and was still here, that shows he changed his mind. All his failures over the last two years makes it more likely that he's still here not because he changed his mind, but because he doesn't have any other options. Think about it, he said in the press conference that he doesn't like his job. What more information does anyone need to know that he doesn't want to be here but is trapped here by his own failures....

Exactly, what kind of big name coach or any self-respecting coach for that matter, will want to come here now? Look what we did to a guy that brought us back from the depths of college football. The piece of sh#t who leaked this not only hurt Bo, but also our program for the future if Bo is let go.

f#*k that ADS

This incident has backed our coach(es), players, fans, university etc, Etc, ETC into a corner. Time to come back swing. Time to rally together. Support Bo or not, it's now more than about him. It's about EVERYONE. Get it rollin.

• Fire 2

f#*k that ADS

This incident has backed our coach(es), players, fans, university etc, Etc, ETC into a corner. Time to come back swing. Time to rally together. Support Bo or not, it's now more than about him. It's about EVERYONE. Get it rollin.

I agree with you, buddy. But, I also think Sip makes a good point about doing more harm to the program.

After mulling over the tape, I think a wait and see approach is about the best course of action cornhusker fans can take. Sure, we all say things we might regret later when we think noone is listening who might back stab us. However, when all is said and done is the dogs' bark really worse than its bite? Give this guy the benefit of the doubt while a media storm ensues to see how the team reacts to adversity.

I don't really care if Bo goes but I could also say that he's run a tighter ship than Tom, hasn't let us become known as a thuggish, win-at-all-cost program like Tom did. I still love Tom, just pointing out that the good old days weren't as good folks like to remember and Bo has strengths to go with his faults.

Blasphemy! haha - waiting for you to get crucified for this post in 5, 4, 3...

I think he's absolutely correct on this...if you're not around a lot of Nebraska fans...it is how people outside the fanbase see us. I remember chatting with people about college football in the late nineties here on the east coast about our dominant teams in the mid nineties and they all said that same thing..."Thug U"...always mentioned L. Phillips and how TO handled him and C. Peter and his fiasco. Even today people will bring that up in discussion about college football and Nebraska.

It's sad, but I think he's absolutely remembered that way by people outside of the NU fanbase.

I seem to recall Quinton Castille, Ndamukong Suh, Alphonzo Dennard. Hindsight is 20-20, I talked with a USC alumni teacher who asked if the "N" stood for "Nowledge", to which I responded does "USC" stand for "OJ chops his wifes' head off and get away with it"?

• Fire 1