Deadspin just dropped a bomb - "fu fans"

Saunders

EZ-E actually RT something that is very accurate. Bo Pelini will go to his first choice school (if he should be fired), while Nebraska will not even come close to getting their first choice at HC. Bo is regarded pretty well in the CFB community. I think the least of teams that he supposedly pursued shows some decent quality.

total lulz. Bo will not be getting his first choice. Bo will more than likely have to settle for a coordinator job before another shot at HC. All of the top schools are getting rid of their coach for the exact reason we would fire Bo. He fails in the big game. why would they want another coach who can't win the big games?

• Fire 1

EZ-E actually RT something that is very accurate. Bo Pelini will go to his first choice school (if he should be fired), while Nebraska will not even come close to getting their first choice at HC. Bo is regarded pretty well in the CFB community. I think the least of teams that he supposedly pursued shows some decent quality.

total lulz. Bo will not be getting his first choice. Bo will more than likely have to settle for a coordinator job before another shot at HC. All of the top schools are getting rid of their coach for the exact reason we would fire Bo. He fails in the big game. why would they want another coach who can't win the big games?

Well if Texas or USC are his first choice........

• Fire 1

If Bo wants another job, he should just say so and get on with the process. If he actually did search out other jobs, (I think I recall Tom Osborne saying he did not know Bo was doing so), then that right there tells you something about his (Bo's) character. It is his right to seek out other positions, but the process of doing it behind the back of the AD is spineless.

It says nothing about his character at all. Most people don't tell their bosses about job searches because it can create turmoil in the work place, and it's absolutely ridiculous to say it's his right to seek other positions but vilify him for doing so. That's like saying it's your right to freedom of speech but you're an idiot for for using that right. What??

His position as a head coach of a university doesn't change his right to work where he wants to work and do what makes him happy. How many of you can say you never once job searched and never said a thing to your employer? My guess would be a majority. It's just not something you do until you have a solid offer from another employer. Again, it is what it is and there's no fault in it. Anyone upset by it is just bitter, which I understand, but he shouldn't be criticized for it.

Edit - Let's not forget either that this happened two years ago. The alleged job search obviously amounted to nothing and it's entirely plausible that Pelini has no intentions to go elsewhere now. Though I'm obviously not excusing what he said, it's important to keep in context the time frame of this recording.

Well if Texas or USC are his first choice........

He won't be getting either. I also think the team has/is starting to quit on Bo. He constantly blames them for everything. Bo doing the same thing at Texas or USC isn't going to fly.

What do you guys think should be the punishment for the person who leaked this? Banned from memorial stadium? Public humiliation? Fired from job ( especially if the boss is a husker fan)?

Pelini keeping his job, being given a few more years to figure out the head coaching gig and winning a conference title.

Honestly. This person released the recording because of a dislike for Pelini and a desire to create a volatile situation, and I'm sure they had intentions of it leading to Pelini's firing. So, a successful Pelini would probably be the best way to get back at this person, which would be downright hilarious.

• Fire 2

I can't believe some of the opinions expressed here.

First: Bo will go to his first choice school if Nebraska fires him. That's a joke, right? Well, maybe he'll go as an assistant, but certainly not as a head coach making $3 million a year. If he could do that, it is pretty evident that he's already be gone.

Second: It is ok that Bo has been searching for other jobs. It is his right, yes. Wouldn't try and say it wasn't. And he has to do what is best for him. Again, wouldn't try and say he shouldn't. But if he doesn't want to be here, and he is just using us as a stepping stone to a bigger and better job, then it is time for us to move on. To the posters saying they kept their own job searches private from their employers, the obvious question I have for them is "why did you keep it private?" You kept it private because you know your employer wouldn't take that so well and might even start looking for your replacement before you found the new job. That's what we need to be doing. Bo needs to do what is best for him, and apparently he feels that is finding a new job. Now that we know that, we need to do what is best for us, and find a replacement now so we're not in a worse position once Bo finds another job.

It's reasonable to feel how you feel. But Ohio State and Florida are better jobs than NU. At least he is going after better jobs that will further him in his career than just trying to get the eff out and going to Kentucky or Washington State.

Ohio State and Florida are only better jobs because of their recent success. Our facilities are just as nice or better and we can afford to pay just as much to a head coach as they can. If a highly talented coach came to Nebraska and built a champion team, then some of those other so called better jobs will be less appealing than coaching at Nebraska. That's what I'm looking for in a coach. If he wants to leave after doing that, so be it, there will be plenty of other coaches like Bo Pelini begging to come here. That would be a two steps forward and one back approach. The impression I get, however, is that if Pelini could have just enough success here to get a "better" job offer, then he's gone. That's a one step forward and two back approach in which I have no interest.

Yes, any coach has recruiting challenges here at Nebraska. I grew up in Nebraska but live in Chicago now, so I understand that. But there are lots of highly successful teams that aren't glamorous in terms of geography. For instance, I'd much rather live in Lincoln, Nebraska than Baton Rouge, LA, or Norman, OK.

• Fire 1

If Bo wants another job, he should just say so and get on with the process. If he actually did search out other jobs, (I think I recall Tom Osborne saying he did not know Bo was doing so), then that right there tells you something about his (Bo's) character. It is his right to seek out other positions, but the process of doing it behind the back of the AD is spineless.

It says nothing about his character at all. Most people don't tell their bosses about job searches because it can create turmoil in the work place, and it's absolutely ridiculous to say it's his right to seek other positions but vilify him for doing so. That's like saying it's your right to freedom of speech but you're an idiot for for using that right. What??

His position as a head coach of a university doesn't change his right to work where he wants to work and do what makes him happy. How many of you can say you never once job searched and never said a thing to your employer? My guess would be a majority. It's just not something you do until you have a solid offer from another employer. Again, it is what it is and there's no fault in it. Anyone upset by it is just bitter, which I understand, but he shouldn't be criticized for it.

Edit - Let's not forget either that this happened two years ago. The alleged job search obviously amounted to nothing and it's entirely plausible that Pelini has no intentions to go elsewhere now. Though I'm obviously not excusing what he said, it's important to keep in context the time frame of this recording.

He said in the post-game presser the other day that he didn't like the job right now. In light of that current statement and his statements in that recording, it seems to me the most logical conclusion is that he still wants another job, but feels trapped at Nebraska by his failure to succeed.

What do you guys think should be the punishment for the person who leaked this? Banned from memorial stadium? Public humiliation? Fired from job ( especially if the boss is a husker fan)?

Pelini keeping his job, being given a few more years to figure out the head coaching gig and winning a conference title.

Honestly. This person released the recording because of a dislike for Pelini and a desire to create a volatile situation, and I'm sure they had intentions of it leading to Pelini's firing. So, a successful Pelini would probably be the best way to get back at this person, which would be downright hilarious.

It is true that winning cures everything. I'd love for that to be the result, but it doesn't seem likely. We haven't made any progress in beating good teams. Some might say we've even taken a few steps back. Went from getting robbed by the refs in the Big 12 CCG to getting blown out by the likes of Wisconsin and UCLA.

He said in the post-game presser the other day that he didn't like the job right now. In light of that current statement and his statements in that recording, it seems to me the most logical conclusion is that he still wants another job, but feels trapped at Nebraska by his failure to succeed.

Please direct me to this quote ...

Please direct me to this quote ...

It was from a Mitch Sherman tweet:

05d685468e2245db4a9c17a9c0abec3a_normal.jpegMitch Sherman@mitchsherman16 Sep

Bo: "I need to start having fun again. If I don't enjoy my job -- if I don't enjoy what I"m doing -- how are they going to?"

I can't believe some of the opinions expressed here.

First: Bo will go to his first choice school if Nebraska fires him. That's a joke, right? Well, maybe he'll go as an assistant, but certainly not as a head coach making $3 million a year. If he could do that, it is pretty evident that he's already be gone.

Second: It is ok that Bo has been searching for other jobs. It is his right, yes. Wouldn't try and say it wasn't. And he has to do what is best for him. Again, wouldn't try and say he shouldn't. But if he doesn't want to be here, and he is just using us as a stepping stone to a bigger and better job, then it is time for us to move on. To the posters saying they kept their own job searches private from their employers, the obvious question I have for them is "why did you keep it private?" You kept it private because you know your employer wouldn't take that so well and might even start looking for your replacement before you found the new job. That's what we need to be doing. Bo needs to do what is best for him, and apparently he feels that is finding a new job. Now that we know that, we need to do what is best for us, and find a replacement now so we're not in a worse position once Bo finds another job.

It's reasonable to feel how you feel. But Ohio State and Florida are better jobs than NU. At least he is going after better jobs that will further him in his career than just trying to get the eff out and going to Kentucky or Washington State.

Ohio State and Florida are only better jobs because of their recent success. Our facilities are just as nice or better and we can afford to pay just as much to a head coach as they can. If a highly talented coach came to Nebraska and built a champion team, then some of those other so called better jobs will be less appealing than coaching at Nebraska. That's what I'm looking for in a coach. If he wants to leave after doing that, so be it, there will be plenty of other coaches like Bo Pelini begging to come here. That would be a two steps forward and one back approach. The impression I get, however, is that if Pelini could have just enough success here to get a "better" job offer, then he's gone. That's a one step forward and two back approach in which I have no interest.

Yes, any coach has recruiting challenges here at Nebraska. I grew up in Nebraska but live in Chicago now, so I understand that. But there are lots of highly successful teams that aren't glamorous in terms of geography. For instance, I'd much rather live in Lincoln, Nebraska than Baton Rouge, LA, or Norman, OK.

Recent success is all that matters. Do recruits want to go to Minnesota because they dominated college football in the 1940's? The kids we are recruiting were born in 1996. But they are not cognizant of the world until they are maybe 5. So lets define "recent" success as when current recruits could spell their name and tie their shoes.

Nebraska: 0 MNC, 0 conference championships

Florida: 2 MNC, 2 conference champtionships

Ohio State: 1 MNC, 6 conference championships

That doesn't include recruiting hotbeds that both OSU and UF are in, we are not. Not to say a coach can't recruit to Nebraska, but it's 100 times more difficult than at OSU or UF.

You mention salaries. Muschamp makes basically the same as Bo, but UF assistants make nearly $1 million more than NU assistants. At Ohio State, Urban makes $1 million more than Bo and their assistant coaches earn about $1.2 million more than ours. So they spend over $2 million more on their coaches than us. So whether we can afford it or not, we don't pay our staff even close to what OSU do, and significantly less than UF.

Facilities, all are extremely impressive and in the top 15 in the country. In this comparison we are probably 2nd to OSU, with Florida behind us.

Either way, I think Nebraska is a really good job and in the top 20, but I think UF and OSU are in the top 3 or 4 of best jobs out there and I can see why a coach would have desire to coach at one of them.

[snip]

You mention salaries. Muschamp makes basically the same as Bo, but UF assistants make nearly $1 million more than NU assistants. At Ohio State, Urban makes $1 million more than Bo and their assistant coaches earn about $1.2 million more than ours. So they spend over $2 million more on their coaches than us. So whether we can afford it or not, we don't pay our staff even close to what OSU do, and significantly less than UF.

[snip]

I understand that our assistants make a lot less, but on the other hand, I don't think they are nearly as talented. Has Pelini lost a coordinator or assistant because of pay? I don't think so. Has Pelini tried to bring in a proven coordinator and been unsuccessful because he couldn't pay them enough? I'm not sure, but I don't think so. We must be prepared to pay top dollars for the top assistants, but I don't think we've been put to the test on that front quite yet. When Tim Beck or John Papuchis leave for higher paying coordinator jobs at Ohio State or Alabama, then we'll know that the administration is handcuffing Pelini in getting top assistants. Is there any risk of that happening right now? I don't think so.